English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 15 March 2024, 21:55   #61
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

I am learning a lot about this and how our eyes and brains perceive these kind of motions at the moment.

Very interesting... And not what someone would usually expect.
Old 15 March 2024, 23:17   #62
lmimmfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerskunk View Post
I am learning a lot about this and how our eyes and brains perceive these kind of motions at the moment.

Very interesting... And not what someone would usually expect.
I think it's because visuals are completely subjective, some things stand out more than others for different people.

When I watched Bill's stream everything was great with the game but the slashes just stood out to me, maybe others wouldn't be bothered, but I felt the slashes reduced the overall quality of an otherwise fantastic game.

I made similar comments with McGeezers Devils Temple, that it was initially too clean and e.g would be nice if the gfx could have cracks in pavement which the late 80s arcades always had and he asked gfx responsible if possible and result was it was included which I think improves the overall aesthetic. It's just additional polish.

Tasks post is leaning too much towards us commenting not having a clue but at the end of the day we're only trying to help and provide suggestions to improve a game, some might be crap, some might be good but it's all we can do is suggest

Looks fantastic now mate, can't wait to see it in motion.

Last edited by lmimmfn; 15 March 2024 at 23:50.
Old 16 March 2024, 00:28   #63
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmimmfn View Post
Tasks post is leaning too much towards us commenting not having a clue but at the end of the day we're only trying to help and provide suggestions to improve a game, some might be crap, some might be good but it's all we can do is suggest
Well, hope I didn't offend anyone
It's not like everybody is obligated to have a perfect understanding of pixel art or animation anyhow. And all feedback is definitely welcome!

My interest in this case is how feedback can be interpreted in general and how it can be used by game devs. F.e. people sometimes struggle to correctly identify the root cause of something they don't like. They will say X is the problem but it might truly be something completely different. F.e. someone might claim that the game is too difficult. However the actual root cause might be failing to teach the player the basics (i.e. the game might actually be easy if you understand the rules or controls, in which case the dev needs to rework his tutorial or guide the player better with visual/audio/logical cues or clever level design).

This basically is common knowledge within the industry. Bottom line: take as much feedback as possible -> then dig deeper.
Old 16 March 2024, 01:35   #64
lmimmfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
Well, hope I didn't offend anyone
It's not like everybody is obligated to have a perfect understanding of pixel art or animation anyhow. And all feedback is definitely welcome!

My interest in this case is how feedback can be interpreted in general and how it can be used by game devs. F.e. people sometimes struggle to correctly identify the root cause of something they don't like. They will say X is the problem but it might truly be something completely different. F.e. someone might claim that the game is too difficult. However the actual root cause might be failing to teach the player the basics (i.e. the game might actually be easy if you understand the rules or controls, in which case the dev needs to rework his tutorial or guide the player better with visual/audio/logical cues or clever level design).

This basically is common knowledge within the industry. Bottom line: take as much feedback as possible -> then dig deeper.
Ahh I understand you now, no, not offending at all, maybe I just didn't understand what you meant.

My initial comment on the slash gfx was probably crap but others chimed in to articulate it.

It's a complex decision for a dev to take on board feedback, in this case it was just a simple visual representation which Tigerskunk has made a fantastic job of addressing.

I realise gameplay is far more difficult to change based on feedback, may be simple health/damage values or may require huge changes to the game/engine to address.

I can't comment on all scenarios and in this case we don't have a demo yet but at the end of the day it's important for devs to get feedback and make decisions based on that.

It's probably best to have some testers ranging from hardcore gamers( e.g. i love arcade style games to be difficult) to casual gamers that test a demo and being upto dev whether to change things based on feedback.

Maybe the forum could help if e.g. profiles had the type of gamer and devs could select a range of users to alpha/beta test?
Old 16 March 2024, 09:28   #65
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Happy for all the feedback. And on topic, for me it's the first time to pixel and especially animate human bodies. So, lots to learn for me here.

But I (who is literally a one man show) always chuckle when people complain somewhere (not in this thread) it's not yet of the level of the best games in the genre...

Shows me I am doing something right already...

Last edited by Tigerskunk; 16 March 2024 at 09:34.
Old 18 March 2024, 17:43   #66
RenegadeFTL

WHDLoad for the demo is now available: here!
Old 18 March 2024, 17:58   #67
mrv2k

I made some quick boxart. It's fairly terrible but it's a start.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KrogharrDemo_Cover.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	81860  
Old 18 March 2024, 22:47   #68
CCRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeFTL View Post
WHDLoad for the demo is now available: here!
Here (A1200/TF1260/KS 3.2) it hanged with "Exception Access Fault $4008 PC=$FF014A6 ExpMem $34A6 Word read from $800004". Tried all usual tool types (NoCache, NoMMU, NoAutoVec, NoResInt), to no avail.

ExpChip tooltype did the trick.
Old 19 March 2024, 06:49   #69
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCRider View Post
Here (A1200/TF1260/KS 3.2) it hanged with "Exception Access Fault $4008 PC=$FF014A6 ExpMem $34A6 Word read from $800004". Tried all usual tool types (NoCache, NoMMU, NoAutoVec, NoResInt), to no avail.

ExpChip tooltype did the trick.
That's interesting.

Thanks for finding out, mate!