English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 19 August 2020, 18:59   #1
cathoderaydude

[Solved]Trouble saving configs

Hi there, I'm running WinUAE 4.4.0 64bit on Windows 10, and no matter what I do I cannot seem to get it to save my configurations.

My usual process with emulators is that I make changes, then simply exit and they're saved. This certainly isn't happening, but I get the impression it isn't quite supposed to work that way in WinUAE, and that I need to save manually every time I make a change.

I've tried saving configs manually, but I couldn't figure out how to make one load automatically on start until I turned off quickstart mode and turned on portable mode. That got me partway there, now it seems to load my most recent config on startup, but nothing under the Hardware section (hard drives, etc) seems to save consistently.

At first, even if I manually saved, restarted, selected my config and clicked Load, it wouldn't restore the hard drive selection. Then, somehow, it saved the hard drive, and now that loads, but nothing else will save. If I adjust the RAM settings and manually save, after restarting and loading the config they don't come back. Same with floppy settings, or display settings under Host. I can't even remove the hard drive now.

I also tried saving a Hardware config, but after restart it has no effect, and doesn't show that config in the list.

I've erased the program completely, even cleared the registry entries I could find, reinstalled, and still can't make this work. Can anyone help me understand what I'm doing wrong? Thank you in advance!
Old 19 August 2020, 19:03   #2
cathoderaydude

I noticed the Load As and Save As buttons, so I tested - made a change in hardware, used Save As to write to a specific file, restarted, then Load As'd that same file and it did retrieve my settings. It seems like it's just failing to find the files automatically or via the config listing. Has anyone else encountered this?
Old 19 August 2020, 19:22   #3
cathoderaydude

Figured it out. Very arcane process, led me down tons of false starts. For the benefit of future users, do this exactly:

• Start WinUAE
  • Turn off "Start in Quickstart mode" in the Quickstart tab
  • Make your basic configs (RAM, hdds, ROM, etc.)
  • Go to Configurations
  • Type in the name "default" and click Save
  • Now, every time you make a change, save it as "default" and it will load on start.
This information was scattered around in bits and pieces - people would say "just save as default.uae and it'll load on startup" but they never mentioned that you have to turn off quickstart for this to work, so I spent hours running around in circles.