English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 12 February 2020, 21:46   #21
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipper View Post
Heretic II is available for download on Hyperion at least for old buyers: 765077527 Bytes 2016-10-21 ISO images of both Heretic II CDs .
How can anyone who isn't an "old buyer" purchase this then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
Just uploading now, Bin/Cue from ImageBurn <2min remaining...

Disc A is fine, there are no extra tracks on this.
Perfect, thanks
Old 13 February 2020, 00:32   #22
DamienD
Banned

Ok, so I'm really no "high-end" Amiga expert; very far from it...

In reality I only ever had a real, expanded A500 back in the late 80's / early 90's.

I'm cool with anything OCS / ECS / AGA and have recently managed to get quite a few RTG games working.

...but regarding Heretic II; can this actually be played / run on OS 3.1 / AGA with RTG only?

Or does it required AmigaPPC / WarpOS / PowerUp (which I have no idea how to setup in WinUAE)?

Most of the screenshots in HOL come after [640x480, 24-bit RTG] so I assumed so; hence why I thought I'd give this game a try.

Last edited by DamienD; 13 February 2020 at 01:23.
Old 13 February 2020, 08:17   #23
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
I think I have ISOs of this already, where should I upload it to on the file server?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Oh that's cool fitzsteve; and would save ProfBong the trouble
Cool! Just wish I'd known before I spent 15-20 minutes rooting through boxes to fetch the game out!!

Quote:
...but regarding Heretic II; can this actually be played / run on OS 3.1 / AGA with RTG only?
Sorry Damien, this game is PPC only (see the min. specs in the HOL entry for more info.).

The reason for AGA support being included - despite the necessity for a PPC accelerator - was likely the publisher trying to appeal to the A1200 desktop owners back in the day who had a PPC accelerator hanging out of the trapdoor and no room for a gfx card. The game was being published for a very small niche market in 2000, so the publisher needed to support as many Amiga PPC end-users as possible.

Still, I can't imagine that playing this game without a gfx card would have been pleasant on an A1200 without having a top-end 603e PPC card. I certainly wouldn't have done it back then on my A4000, which had a much gruntier 604 PPC card. The whole point of having PPC speed at your disposal in an Amiga, I would've thought, would be to play games with lovely 3D visuals being delivered by much more advanced 2D/3D gfx cards.

Quote:
Most of the screenshots in HOL come after [640x480, 24-bit RTG] so I assumed so; hence why I thought I'd give this game a try.
I've adjusted the comments on the screenshots to make it abundantly clear for peeps that they were taken with a PPC-equipped Amiga driving the RTG action.

Quote:
Or does it required AmigaPPC / WarpOS / PowerUp (which I have no idea how to setup in WinUAE)?
There are a few EAB threads that will help you with the lengthy set-up of OS4.x under emulation, but obviously you will need to source out OS4 first and then probably make a few chook sacrifices while drinking heavily!

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=83300 (headkase's step-by-step guide)

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=74776 (BinoX's step-by-step guide)

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=99452

Last edited by DrBong; 13 February 2020 at 13:28. Reason: Added sentences + fixed typo!
Old 13 February 2020, 09:14   #24
DamienD
Banned

Thanks for all the info Carlo

I think I'll abort then... as I don't really want to mess around with OS4.x.

Classic OS 3.1 is where the Amiga stops for me.
Old 13 February 2020, 09:42   #25
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
It works in in 3.9 (in fact I didn't know it was compatible with OS4.) I'll give it a go with WinUAE see how I get on.
Old 13 February 2020, 12:31   #26
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:

Fair enough! The OS4 installation under emulation doesn't exactly look like a piece of cake from what I've read anyway.

Quote:
It works in in 3.9 (in fact I didn't know it was compatible with OS4.) I'll give it a go with WinUAE see how I get on.
True for the open-source conversions of Heretic. It would be utterly surprising for a commercial Amiga release of Heretic II, though, unless Hyperion released a 68K patch at some late stage (but the only update patch I have is PPC). Given what NovaCoder has been able to achieve in his open-source conversions of FPS games from the PC, I wonder what he could've achieved with the source code of Heretic II on overclocked 060 systems with AGA/RTG.

Anyway, the game developer Hyperion reckon the game is PPC only in both the game manual and on their website! From the FAQ on their website:

Technical Requirements

OS 3.0 or higher
PPC (supported through WarpOS) and AGA
64 MB minimum, more recommended
3D acceleration supported through Warp3D (OpenGL)
Soundcards supported through AHI
4x CD ROM
350 MB free harddrive space

Will Heretic II run on AGA?

The AGA version already runs at acceptable speed on PPC.

Is there a 68k version?

Even on an overclocked 060/66 and after extensive assembly optimisation the software renderer version proved too slow. With 3D hardware acceleration the same system can on occassion reach 20 fps regardless of the resolution. The calculation of the geometry however regularly proves too much for even an overclocked 060.

Last edited by DrBong; 13 February 2020 at 12:44. Reason: Added more info. from the FAQ!
Old 13 February 2020, 12:49   #27
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong View Post
Doubtful, unless they released a 68K patch at some late stage (but the only update patch I have is PPC). Anyway, the game developer Hyperion states otherwise! From the FAQ on their website:

Will Heretic II run on AGA?

The AGA version already runs at acceptable speed on PPC.
This game is for OS3 with a PPC expansion. PPC does not mean OS4.

Quote:
Is there a 68k version?
They made one -possibly incomplete, but it was never released.
Voodoo3 cards became available after Heretic2 was released, and I remember them saying that they had tested a 68k version on it and it would have been viable.
The CVPPC was too slow, so they had dropped the 68k version.

Last edited by James; 13 February 2020 at 12:53. Reason: fixes
Old 13 February 2020, 13:03   #28
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
This game is for OS3 with a PPC expansion. PPC does not mean OS4.
Quite right - I should have been explicitly clear about that! You still need to install certain versions of WarpOS/3D, CyberGraphX/Picasso96, AHI etc. etc., though. If you want to get the best performance out of the game - even under emulation - it will take some work. I'm guessing an OS4 installation might achieve better performance for not too much more effort, but I'll leave the emulation experts to comment on that one.

Quote:
They made one -possibly incomplete, but it was never released.
Voodoo3 cards became available after Heretic2 was released, and I remember them saying that they had tested a 68k version on it and it would have been viable.
The CVPPC was too slow so they had dropped the 68k version.
Yep, Hyperion say as much in their FAQ (see above). Still, it makes me wonder what NovaCoder might've been able to achieve if he had access to the source code!

Anyway, the answer still remains the same....the game won't work on 68K. It's a PPC-only game and will take some effort to get it working optimally on real hardware and under emulation. I can certainly attest to the fact that it wasn't easy to get running properly on real hardware back in the day. The first release delivered on the game CDs was buggy, although life was made a little easier once the Heretic 2 update patch was released.

If people do attempt to install the game on an AGA/PPC set-up, then AHI should be avoided if there is no sound card present. Installing AHI without a sound card will just slow the game down no end on AGA/PPC machines. There are other tweaks that can be made, which are detailed in the Heretic 2 update patch archive and in the FAQ.

Last edited by DrBong; 13 February 2020 at 13:21. Reason: Added to post + added extra links!
Old 13 February 2020, 13:23   #29
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

I'm pretty sure I had it running on my A4000 with both AGA and Software Rendering/Picasso 4 on my CSPPC back in the day.

I think I ran it at 640x480 thought the picasso but AGA was only 320x200, IIRC performance was good.
Old 13 February 2020, 13:35   #30
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I had it running on my A4000 with both AGA and Software Rendering/Picasso 4 on my CSPPC back in the day.

I think I ran it at 640x480 thought the picasso but AGA was only 320x200, IIRC performance was good.
Do you mean you tried something like Wazp3D as a software renderer?

I have to say, your posts are confusing me....if I'm reading your last post correctly, you got the game working on an A4000 with an AGA-RTG/PPC set-up and *not* under 68K as originally thought?

Last edited by DrBong; 13 February 2020 at 13:43. Reason: Fixed typo!
Old 13 February 2020, 13:58   #31
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Do you mean you tried something like Wazp3D as a software renderer?

I have to say, your posts are confusing me....if I'm reading your last post correctly, you got the game working on an A4000 with an AGA-RTG/PPC set-up and *not* under 68K as originally thought?
I never claimed the game ran on 68k, its always been PPC. You suggested it worked on OS4, I have only ever played it on OS3.x using PPC.

Yes I have played it in software rendering, no 3D hardware. Straight out of the picasso 4, on the CSPPC I'm sure it ran good in 640x480

I'm also sure I tested the AGA when I had no RTG card and again performance was acceptable but obviously only 320x240

I later ran this game with my A1200 Grex setup in Warp3d using voodoo 3, it was lovely.

Videos are on my YouTube, fitzsteve
Old 13 February 2020, 14:29   #32
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
I have managed to run the demo in software rendering mode on OS4.1fe
The installer for the full game is borked on OS4.
Old 13 February 2020, 14:31   #33
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
I never claimed the game ran on 68k, its always been PPC.
My apologies to you and Damien for the confusion! I'm a little sleep-deprived right now coz of 12-16 hour work days, so I think I've gone a little cross-eyed reading posts in this thread.

Quote:
You suggested it worked on OS4, I have only ever played it on OS3.x using PPC.
Yes, I remember it running under an early release of OS4 (classic)....but probably not without a few hurdles to navigate.

Quote:
Yes I have played it in software rendering, no 3D hardware. Straight out of the picasso 4, on the CSPPC I'm sure it ran good in 640x480

I'm also sure I tested the AGA when I had no RTG card and again performance was acceptable but obviously only 320x240

I later ran this game with my A1200 Grex setup in Warp3d using voodoo 3, it was lovely.
Yep, Wazp3D is pretty good for a software rendering solution! An A1200 with Grex/Voodoo 3 is about as sweet an A1200 set-up too - why did you sell it??!! I wish I'd got my hands on an A4000 version, but unfortunately DCE didn't produce huge numbers of them. Well, as for running Heretic 2 on your A4000 PPC machine under AGA....game speed would've been fine on PAL/NTSC-type screen sizes, but I'm sure it would've chugged on 640x400 or larger.

Quote:
Videos are on my YouTube, fitzsteve
Yeh, I looked on YT earlier for Heretic II vids on the Amiga....but only came across one that you upped for a souped up A4000 PPC set-up. You did a crapload of different ones for Quake I/II, though, and really went mad scientist on those games! Anyway, time to chow down here and get back to work....
Old 13 February 2020, 15:00   #34
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Yeah sorry for the confusion too. Indeed it was a mistake to sell that great hardware but I was out of work at the time. I have a nice A1200 setup now and also an A500+ with vampire and a CD32 so I have most bases covered.

I have a OS4.1 setup on my PC that should run on WinUAE (backup of old HD) so might try that too.

I'm on the list, hopefully for an A1222 as well

Finally I have tried to get Heretic 2 working on my A1200 with Mediator and Killer PPC card but no luck. Has anyone tried it on A4000 with with Mediator/Apocalypse/Ragnarok?
Old 13 February 2020, 15:57   #35
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Yes. One of my early sonnet vids shows it running.
Old 13 February 2020, 21:20   #36
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
An A1200 with Grex/Voodoo 3 is about as sweet an A1200 set-up too - why did you sell it??!! I wish I'd got my hands on an A4000 version, but unfortunately DCE didn't produce huge numbers of them.
Quote:
Indeed it was a mistake to sell that great hardware but I was out of work at the time. I have a nice A1200 setup now and also an A500+ with vampire and a CD32 so I have most bases covered.
What a bummer! That G-Rex would be worth a ton of gold now, not to mention would still be very lovely to have slapped into the A1200.

Quote:
I have a OS4.1 setup on my PC that should run on WinUAE (backup of old HD) so might try that too.
Maybe you could "lend" it to Damien for testing purposes!

@Damien
Sorry for inadvertedly leading you down the OS4 garden path earlier on! Are you gonna have a crack at installing Heretic II from the ISOs under KS3.x after all?! If you do, don't forget to apply the Heretic 2 update patch afterwards and be sure to let us know how you go with it all.
Old 13 February 2020, 22:57   #37
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
@Damien
Sorry for inadvertedly leading you down the OS4 garden path earlier on! Are you gonna have a crack at installing Heretic II from the ISOs under KS3.x after all?! If you do, don't forget to apply the Heretic 2 update patch afterwards and be sure to let us know how you go with it all.
No problem at all; it's good to read the associated information from various members

I might in future, but only if it can definitely be run on OS 3.1.

I still need to digest everything said here though
Old 13 February 2020, 23:17   #38
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

My old OS41 setup isn't working, it was done back in 2014 an old beta version of WinUAE, managed to get WinUAE to boot my A4000T backup though which was kind of cool but Heretic II wouldn't run for some reason (just wont start.) PPC is running.

Was going to update WinUAE to latest but the site is down, I'll try when it's back up. My version of QEMU must be well out of date lol

@DrBong

Sure there's some regrets but I feel privileged to have owned and enjoyed these high end Amiga's when it was possible to buy them for a reasonable price, they're far out of reach now but I have very fond memories and I took a lot of photos and videos.

Edit - got my setup working but think I need to update WinUAE to get Herretic II working... Tries to start now but give WarpOS exception
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	os41.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	66172   Click image for larger version

Name:	39ppc.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	524.2 KB
ID:	66173  

Last edited by fitzsteve; 13 February 2020 at 23:45.
Old 14 February 2020, 22:45   #39
redblade
Zone Friend

Quote:

And your work is greatly appreciated DamienD
Old 14 February 2020, 23:29   #40
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

WinUAE website was back up today but still cant get Heretic 2 to work. Be interested to hear if anyone else manages to get it going in WinUAE with Qemu. I ran as A4000 with CSPPC and Picasso IV. It just doesn't start. I applied the patch I had from before but I cant apply the second patch as I don't have the serial anymore and the second patch needs you to enter it again...