English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 27 June 2007, 16:32   #61
Raid27
I have a joystick

The platform game "Frost byte" got on my nerves like no other game! I never figured why because I've played tougher games with less progression, but frost byte almost made me punch the screen a few times.
Old 27 June 2007, 21:09   #62
mrbob2

Kick off `96, anyone whos played it will agree its the worst, end of discussion basically lol
Old 01 July 2007, 22:24   #63
rsn8887

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironclaw
First try, no prob at all.... but managing to get behind the boxes before the invicibility pill wore off took a couple of tries.
Just spent a whole saturday replaying Future Wars. WOW!

I am still not through, but what a great game! Some of the best gfx/design of any amiga point'n click adventure, period. Also this is an adventure for people with balls. It ignores all the standards of adventures, and excels at doing so!

I mean, you die frequently, you have to hunt single pixels all the time, there are puzzles where the timing matters. But with such pixel perfect graphics, it is so much FUN!
Old 01 July 2007, 23:24   #64
Legerdemain

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn8887
Just spent a whole saturday replaying Future Wars. WOW!

I am still not through, but what a great game!
How are you playing the game (original on an A500, WHDLoad)?

I can't get past the point where you have to wear the outfit and walk in line... (I don't know how to put it in another way without actually giving away too much information, but maybe I aleady have, sorry if that is the case). If you manage, however, please tell me how you did it... because it seems impossible... it's just like the game runs too fast at that point.
Old 01 July 2007, 23:50   #65
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legerdemain

I can't get past the point where you have to wear the outfit and walk in line... (I don't know how to put it in another way without actually giving away too much information, but maybe I aleady have, sorry if that is the case). If you manage, however, please tell me how you did it... because it seems impossible... it's just like the game runs too fast at that point.
The monk part? Send a savegame. Maybe I can slow the game down somehow.
Old 01 July 2007, 23:51   #66
rsn8887

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legerdemain

I can't get past the point where you have to wear the outfit and walk in line...
I am playing on WinUAE latest beta, floppy version, A500 config (had to disable 1 Meg expansion). That point went easy enough with me, only thing that mattered was not walking against the flow, if you know what I mean

I will not mention all the places that _did_ have me tear my hair out in frustration...
Old 05 July 2007, 19:12   #67
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

hmmm for me....

1) the ishar series, because I have no clue how I would finish these games without a guide.

2) wrath of the demon. Hard as hell and the last level is such a maze that I would rather jump out of the window then go through that again.
Old 05 July 2007, 19:26   #68
DamienD
Banned

I loved the game (and all LucasFilm / LucasArts adventures games for that matter) but some of the mazes in Zak McKracken used to drive me crazy as a teenager
Old 05 July 2007, 21:13   #69
Freakyweakywoo
(c) killergorilla 2007

Cannon fodder caused me to throw the disk so hard it put a hole in my bedroom wall, a hole so deep you could put the corner of the disk in it and it would hang in there. Stupid ice level where you have to run around dodging people until you get into the gun in the center and have to shoot buildings. I never got past that level, my friend did and said its just dumb luck whether you get through it or not. To this day I still hate that game.
Old 05 July 2007, 21:26   #70
Graham Humphrey

It's not luck, it's pure skill... excuses excuses...
Old 05 July 2007, 21:29   #71
Freakyweakywoo
(c) killergorilla 2007

Getting disks to stick into walls is pure skill too
Old 05 July 2007, 21:30   #72
Graham Humphrey

Nah, that's dumb luck
Old 05 July 2007, 21:40   #73
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

The last boss on Bill's Tomato Game is stupid.
Old 05 July 2007, 22:00   #74
benscoobert

Another world and flashback
VERY unforgiving
Old 05 July 2007, 22:44   #75
ancalimon
Supernormal

Benefactor. Keep doing stupid mistakes. Started to replay it after years. Got the hang of it but I keep doing stupid mistakes :O
Old 05 July 2007, 22:46   #76
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by benscoobert
Another world and flashback
VERY unforgiving
You cannot say that about Flashback. It's rather easy. And there are save devices everywhere in the level.

I tried 15th anniversary version of Another World and I completed it rather easily. But AFAIR Amiga version was harder.

I agree about Cannon Fodder. I'm at mission 18 but only because I use WinUAE with save states. I could never get past mission 9 otherwise.

From mission 8 it's a nightmare. Mission 8 is very hard. Phase 1 is rather easy provided you dash to the houses on the right without picking up the rockets on the top left.
Phase 2 (bang bang you're dead) is less obivous and luck is part of it.
Phase 3 is awful because you've got to make your way across ininteresting jungle (with spikes) during several minutes, and then it's tough too.

Also if you get killed too often in phase 1 of a mission, you cannot just quit and reload a saved game, you have to restart the whole game (CF2 fixed this).

I also hate levels with hostages because they tend to walk the opposite direction of the tent.

I read some interview of Jon Hare in retrogamer's last issue. Talking about Cannon Fodder he just said that there were no external playtesting. They just tested all the phases to see if there were bugs. No wonder why it's ultra-hard! Flashback is a piece of cake in comparison.
Old 05 July 2007, 22:55   #77
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper
I've never bought that memory excuse. Each level is loaded from disk, only the last one played stays in memory. Therefore to have 10 levels on the disk vs 7 requires no extra memory.

It was not that they were out of disk space either, even with the most basic compression techniques approximately 50% of the disk is unused.

I bet the real reason was they were urged by the publisher to just get it finished ASAP. I can't imagine a different team (perfectionists like Ocean France for example) would have left out several levels just to bow to the whims of some suit in charge that doesn't give a stuff about the consumers.

What Graftgold did was brilliant, just sadly not all there!
The true reason behind this was given by Steve Turner in a french magazine (joystick), where he said that Ocean refused him to add a third disk for the last 3 islands... no more no less... And then Mt bracey never understand why RI never had block buster sales... Many players knew that the miggy version was not 100 %...
Old 05 July 2007, 23:02   #78
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd
agree about Cannon Fodder. I'm at mission 18 but only because I use WinUAE with save states. I could never get past mission 9 otherwise.

From mission 8 it's a nightmare. Mission 8 is very hard. Phase 1 is rather easy provided you dash to the houses on the right without picking up the rockets on the top left.
Phase 2 (bang bang you're dead) is less obivous and luck is part of it.
Phase 3 is awful because you've got to make your way across ininteresting jungle (with spikes) during several minutes, and then it's tough too.

Also if you get killed too often in phase 1 of a mission, you cannot just quit and reload a saved game, you have to restart the whole game (CF2 fixed this).

I also hate levels with hostages because they tend to walk the opposite direction of the tent.

I read some interview of Jon Hare in retrogamer's last issue. Talking about Cannon Fodder he just said that there were no external playtesting. They just tested all the phases to see if there were bugs. No wonder why it's ultra-hard! Flashback is a piece of cake in comparison.
Since i'm i think the best CF1/2 player out there (i can finish CF1 straight away without saving at all in 3 hours of time). Same apply for CF2 which is harder than the 1st.

Mission 8 phase 1 is tough, but easy when you know how. Mission 8 phase 2 require that you make the things in the right order at the right place, and you are SURE to succeed. Phase 3 there is an easy way to avoid floor spikes without dying whatsoever.

Mission 9 is hard because of the way things are presented. But you can make it. I make use of the game bugs, very useful
Old 05 July 2007, 23:04   #79
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver
Since i'm i think the best CF1/2 player out there
Old 05 July 2007, 23:17   #80
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver
Since i'm i think the best CF1/2 player out there (i can finish CF1 straight away without saving at all in 3 hours of time). Same apply for CF2 which is harder than the 1st.

Mission 8 phase 1 is tough, but easy when you know how. Mission 8 phase 2 require that you make the things in the right order at the right place, and you are SURE to succeed. Phase 3 there is an easy way to avoid floor spikes without dying whatsoever.

Mission 9 is hard because of the way things are presented. But you can make it. I make use of the game bugs, very useful
Ok, you seem to know the game well some phase after mission 9 are very easy: the one where you get into the rocket-launching chopper is the easiest
More generally every mission you can ride a tank or a chopper it's easier.

Sometimes luck is widely involved: you start the level right in front of a missile turret which fires at you immediately. Sometimes 50% of the men are killed, sometimes not.
And you always have to be very careful when making several teams because CPU wastes missiles and grenades, when it does not kill your soldiers by firing a rocket against the wall or destroy your jeep or missile turret.