English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 20 March 2015, 01:43   #61
Vot

"Hunter HD" - Fan Remake & nostalgic discussion of a classic Amiga game :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherno View Post
Suffice to say, the priest was not amused!

There was even a message "You destroyed a church! (- 200 points)".

Maybe you need an atheist mode where it adds points
Old 21 March 2015, 22:02   #62
Anthony

Looking good!

Quote:
Back with more good news: The results from the research lab (as outlines above) have been successfully integrated into the "real" environment. Now I have a pistol, assault rifle, sniper rifle, and a missile launcher with guided missiles. The sniper rifle has a scope, of course Who knows, maybe this weekend I will mange to complete teh current build and upload it. Stay tuned

The green box is just a debug thingy representing the camera frustrum (I made his shot from the scene window, not from the game window). Fun fact: first, I wanted to make the screenshot inside the church to show the pulpit and stained glass window in teh background, but after a few salvoes of the assault rifle the church blew up
Hey Cherno, well done! This is really looking good and am looking forward to this fresh reboot of my all time favourite game :-) would be cool if a scope view appeared like the map icon floating so u can see third person view walking about whilst a first person view from the scope icon.
Have you managed to import the original world into yours? Any chance of missions etc?

Fair play to ya for doing all this, keep up the great work!
Anthony

Old 22 March 2015, 19:47   #63
Cherno

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Hey Cherno, well done! This is really looking good and am looking forward to this fresh reboot of my all time favourite game :-) would be cool if a scope view appeared like the map icon floating so u can see third person view walking about whilst a first person view from the scope icon.
Have you managed to import the original world into yours? Any chance of missions etc?

Fair play to ya for doing all this, keep up the great work!
Anthony
Not sure what you mean by map icon and scope icon to be honest

The original worlds (the hunter and Mission gme modes had different ones) will not be in because I have no data save for what is visible in-game. After all, the original maps were just random seeds that got created again and again until Paul Holmes found one that he liked, which he then populated with buildings etc. currently, I just use a random height map made in Photoshop that had a good ratio of land vs. water. When I get around to put some more work into Perlin noise, random maps might be rolled up in my game as well.

Missions, or quests as I call them, will be included for sure. For now, they are simply "Give me item X, then I will tell you where to go next" types
Old 22 March 2015, 21:06   #64
Anthony

Map and scope

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by map icon and scope icon to be honest

The original worlds (the hunter and Mission gme modes had different ones) will not be in because I have no data save for what is visible in-game. After all, the original maps were just random seeds that got created again and again until Paul Holmes found one that he liked, which he then populated with buildings etc. currently, I just use a random height map made in Photoshop that had a good ratio of land vs. water. When I get around to put some more work into Perlin noise, random maps might be rolled up in my game as well.

Missions, or quests as I call them, will be included for sure. For now, they are simply "Give me item X, then I will tell you where to go next" types
That sounds cool, new worlds generated and missions.

Regarding the map - referring to the map overlay that appears in hunter when you select it from the mouse driven control panel, appears on bottom left of world view screen.

Was thinking it would be cool if there was another icon floating on the view screen maybe on bottom right, to show the view as looking through the scope, so as to enable real time view through the scope along with seeing the character in the sand box world walking around. May not be practical and better with single full screen scope mode like in midwinter....

Old 22 March 2015, 21:10   #65
Cherno

Ah, I think I know what you mean know. Something similar to a scope camera. Well, it would be possible of course, but I don't know if it's a good idea. After all, having a scope means being able to snipe enemies from far away, with the drawback that you have a narrow field of view.

In further news, contrary to earler suggestions by myself, virtually no development took place this weekend because I spent 14 hours in Civilization V :P
Back to business now... Hopefully
Old 22 March 2015, 21:42   #66
Anthony

Quote:
Ah, I think I know what you mean know. Something similar to a scope camera. Well, it would be possible of course, but I don't know if it's a good idea. After all, having a scope means being able to snipe enemies from far away, with the drawback that you have a narrow field of view.

In further news, contrary to earler suggestions by myself, virtually no development took place this weekend because I spent 14 hours in Civilization V :P
Back to business now... Hopefully
Good game! 14 hours!! :-)
I play sniper elite v2 allot and yea I agree on reflection that it's better to have one large view with zoom and cross hairs view; maybe a variation would he cool, for instance a 'drone cam' floating on screen that you can fire from a bazooka and shows a missle view as it approaches the target, extra points if it hits! :-)

Old 22 March 2015, 22:06   #67
Cherno

Kinda like the Redeemer from Unreal Tournament :]
Old 26 April 2015, 16:23   #68
Anthony

Hi Cherno, how's the sniper mod coming along? Sounds great :-)

Old 27 April 2015, 02:47   #69
Cherno

I have to apogolize, my old nemesis, serialization (data persistence/saving&loading) reared his ugly head again and I spent the last two weeks trying to write a system that lets me easily save and load objects in the world... Since it involves a lot of advanced programming stuff I had no prior experience with, I spent half of the time researching and browing through hundreds of threads and manuals. Oh well, a few hours ago I finally made a breakthrough So now I can implement it and then actually work on things that are fun again, like big guns and even bigger vehicles

Edit: My steam account showing 95 hours of playing Civ V might have been a reason for the slight delay as well
Old 29 April 2015, 01:18   #70
Anthony

Hey that's great, well done for figuring it out :-) 95 hours :-⏰⏰⏰ ah let the clocks tick away, so long as it's a fun filled day ;-)

Looking forward to exploring the new world in even bigger vehicles and taking out those nasty red shirts :-D lol

Old 04 June 2015, 10:17   #71
Anthony

Quote:
I have to apogolize, my old nemesis, serialization (data persistence/saving&loading) reared his ugly head again and I spent the last two weeks trying to write a system that lets me easily save and load objects in the world... Since it involves a lot of advanced programming stuff I had no prior experience with, I spent half of the time researching and browing through hundreds of threads and manuals. Oh well, a few hours ago I finally made a breakthrough So now I can implement it and then actually work on things that are fun again, like big guns and even bigger vehicles

Edit: My steam account showing 95 hours of playing Civ V might have been a reason for the slight delay as well
Hi Cherno,

Any updates :-)

Anthony

Old 04 June 2015, 11:06   #72
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Try 400 hours and counting; that game does -not- let you go.
Old 04 June 2015, 11:27   #73
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Firefox doesnt allow me to run Unity
Old 05 June 2015, 15:05   #74
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Firefox doesnt allow me to run Unity
Assuming the latest Firefox: what happens? Error?

My experience so far is that such things work under both Firefox and Chrome, but Javascript-heavy stuff runs faster under Chrome for now. Under Firefox its usually a bit jerky/laggy.
Old 05 June 2015, 21:22   #75
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I use Palemoon (Firefox core) and it tells me that Unity is forbidden, because was reported to cause unstability.
Old 06 June 2015, 14:24   #76
Cherno

Firefox should be able to run the Unity plugin without any problems (it does on my pc). Chrome does not support he plugin.
Old 06 June 2015, 14:25   #77
Vot

Quote:
Firefox should be able to run the Unity plugin without any problems (it does on my pc). Chrome does not support he plugin.

But more importantly how is progress?
Old 06 June 2015, 16:09   #78
Cherno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vot View Post
But more importantly how is progress?
So much things to do... walking and running animations for strafing and half-strafing... implementing the new serialization system... Things that are not much fun to do :P
Old 07 June 2015, 09:42   #79
Grale

Hello Cherno. I have just learnt of your remake of one of my old time favourite games back in the 90's!!

Although my experienced with Hunter was on the AtariST. I am greatly looking forward to re-playing this in HD! I am very tempted to try your first version, however I am going to wait..... if i can

Will we be seeing that aircraft which never made it into the final game?? I remember back in the 90's when a friend of a friend claimed to know and be friends with the creator of Hunter, he told of a secret aircraft which was hidden somewhere on a map. We all searched but never found this aircraft. I learnt from an interview with Paul Holmes that it never made it into the game. Wasted time... but great fun nevertheless.

Anyhow thank you for bringing back some awesome nostalgia, and i look forward to playing the finished remake

Old 07 June 2015, 09:52   #80
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grale View Post
Will we be seeing that aircraft which never made it into the final game?? I remember back in the 90's when a friend of a friend claimed to know and be friends with the creator of Hunter, he told of a secret aircraft which was hidden somewhere on a map. We all searched but never found this aircraft. I learnt from an interview with Paul Holmes that it never made it into the game. Wasted time... but great fun nevertheless.
Even though the aircraft isn't on any of the maps you can make the object appear. I was able to fly it but it was a bit of a cheat as it was essentially flying like a helicopter.

Check out the last screenshots here: http://hol.abime.net/764/screenshot