English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga File Server

Old 21 April 2011, 04:59   #1
Tucker

EAB File server - HELP/problems with rar files for CD/DVDs

Hi, I've tried unarchiving (unrar'ing) the CDs to iso files, and the DVD files that relate to Boondox/Boondocks, but I am able to download them, but having got them, they are unrecognisable to either MakeCD, or BurnIt, or FryingPan, or even Nero on my Windows machine.

Can anyone offer some advice as to whether they have successfully downloaded/unarchived/burnt the CD/DVD images to disc, as I'm stuck.

Thanks
Old 21 April 2011, 14:58   #2
1time
Amiga Lover

i have downloaded them and they worked just fine.
Old 21 April 2011, 17:00   #3
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
how are you unpacking them ???
how big is the iso once unpacked
Old 22 April 2011, 00:50   #4
Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1time View Post
i have downloaded them and they worked just fine.
The DVDs, and CDs I have tried so far are Amiga CD-Rom (1995-10).rar from which I am trying to extract the MacroForm floppies, which according to the associated text file is one of the archives where they should be able to be located, but when I put the unarchived RAR file, which decompresses to an ISO file, imported into MakeCD it states the file is set for AUDIO, and recommends it should be DATA - MODE 1, but on changing this in MakeCD to DATA it just rejects the ISO image file with the same error requester. In BurnIt it just fails to load beyond importing it, and just exits the write functions. In Frying Pan it just does nothing. In Nero it exits, after pre-loading to 10%, with just a general error and does not write the image file. I have also downloaded Boondox_DVD_1.part01 to Boondox_DVD_1.part38, and Boondox_DVD_2.part01 to Boondox_DVD_2.part10, and the files I have tried to UNRAR have all been unsuccessful so far. Just to give an example of the problem, on UNRAR'ing with IZarc on my PC file 'Boondox_DVD_1.part24' I get "Error creating file: "941201\EFT-TT2.LHA" and Error creating file: "X:\xxxxx\941201\EFT-TT2.LHA" and the UNRAR'ing process ends there, with no files unarchived.

With regard to cosmicfrog's question the Amiga cdrom - 10 1995 - after unarchiving the RAR file on my Amiga, which takes a while, but completes without problem. I then transferred it to my PC for burning in Nero, as the Amiga CD mastering software I tried so far wouldn't utilise it, the file is 397 MB (416,878,592 bytes) in size - on disk, when viewed on my PC hardware, but it is not recognised in Nero, and it won't work in any of the CD writing software I have tried so far. The only piece of Amiga CD writing software I haven't tried it in is MasterISO, but I don't have that installed anyway, but I'm sure the problem doesn't lie in the Amiga CD mastering software.

I use Verbatim CDs, or Maxell DVD+RW disks on either system, usually without problem, and I have virtually the same CD-RW/DVD-RW drive on both systems, a LiteOn SOHW1673S or SOHW1693S IDE drives.
Old 22 April 2011, 09:16   #5
1time
Amiga Lover

Have you tried using any different tools? Winrar for a example?

Hmmm, you know that you need to download ALL the rar files? Part1 - Part 38 to be able to extract any files?

You cant just download part 20 and then extract that one.
Old 22 April 2011, 10:04   #6
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

you need to un rar the first file it will then find all the other parts
this will give you the iso with which you can extract your adf

I take it this is your first try at mulitpart archives ??

thanks for the write up
Old 22 April 2011, 13:53   #7
Wiking67
Blowing Out The Flame

Send a message via MSN to Wiking67
He can also try powerarhciver, have dl most of the bbs disk and unpacked and burnt whitout probs...

Last edited by Wiking67; 22 April 2011 at 14:02.
Old 22 April 2011, 17:35   #8
Tucker

Quote:
Have you tried using any different tools? Winrar for a example?
I have tried using IZarc, and WinRAR - WinRAR gave the error that the Amiga CD 10 95 ISO was in an unknown format or was a damaged file, if I remember the basics of the error message.

Nero, MakeCD, BurnIt, all seem to bear this error with the data format in the same way. I downloaded the CD ISO file I've already mentioned, with my Windows system, and unarchived it, which is does cleanly, but when I tried to burn it with Nero it just baulks and gives an error message, as before. I'm sure it is the ISO file itself that is faulty, I'm sorry to say.

So there's no confusion which CD.iso file I am having this trouble with, the file is located on the EAB zone site in

Home / Collection / BBS / Amiga CD-Rom / Amiga CD-Rom (1995-10).rar, which is shown as 379.46 MB, and was uploaded on 2010-09-21 17:19.

The associated textfile states the files I am particularly interested in, are in this CD data file, but I cannot access it due to the fault with the file, I believe, which seems to be related to it having been created as an AUDIO ISO file, instead of a DATA ISO file.

Quote:
Hmmm, you know that you need to download ALL the rar files? Part1 - Part 38 to be able to extract any files?
I don't think that what you're saying is correct, however helpful you're trying to be to me, which I really appreciate, as I can UnRAR each individual RAR archive into the stored data (TXT, EXE, LHA, DMS, DOC) in each file using UNRAR v3.80 from Aminet.

Quote:
You cant just download part 20 and then extract that one.
I certainly wasn't aware of that, so are you saying that all the files are concatenated/joined together by some means, and if so what method, or in what format do I have to have the date, once I've downloaded it, or is there still something else I am missing - besides a screw loose ?

Thanks for everyone's suggestions so far.

Tucker
Old 22 April 2011, 17:44   #9
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

yes if it a multi part archive you have to downlaod all the parts then unarchive the first one

I`ll have a look at Amiga CD-Rom (1995-10).rar in a min

also I don`t think iso`s contain any audio info at all
Old 22 April 2011, 17:44   #10
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker View Post
I certainly wasn't aware of that, so are you saying that all the files are concatenated/joined together by some means, and if so what method
You need all the 'partxx' files. Afterwards just open the first one with WinRAR.
Old 22 April 2011, 17:50   #11
Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
you need to un rar the first file it will then find all the other parts this will give you the iso with which you can extract your adf
Wow, I didn't realise the archives were magnetised, so to speak, so they all find one another and build into one major sized ISO archive, basically all by themsleves, if I understand you correctly?

I have manually unRAR'd the 1st archive from DVD1 on my AMIGA which just gives DOC, and TXT files, with UNRAR v3.80, but that did not find any of the other DVD archived RAR files I have on disk, and it certainly went no further than the file I gave it to UNRAR, or do you mean something else, or do I have to have the files in a particular directory, etc..

Quote:
I take it this is your first try at mulitpart archives ??
Oh yes, and so far it's been a long and windy road

Quote:
thanks for the write up
I tried to keep the text summarised, but when you do, people ask you more questions, that you thought about saying, which you then have to put into words to explain what you were going to say initially.

But I'm really grateful for all the suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
You need all the 'partxx' files. Afterwards just open the first one with WinRAR.
So is it not possible to just unarchive the files, on an Amiga, into a folder large enough to require the storage space of a DVD disk, and then just burn it to a DVD?

It all seems very long winded to store a DVD in this format, and also, no instructions as to to how to complete the task on this section of the server or anywhere, as far as I am aware.

Last edited by TCD; 22 April 2011 at 17:57. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Use multi-quote.
Old 22 April 2011, 18:00   #12
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
So is it not possible to just unarchive the files, on an Amiga, into a folder large enough to require the storage space of a DVD disk, and then just burn it to a DVD?

It all seems very long winded to store a DVD in this format, and also, no instructions as to to how to complete the task on this section of the server or anywhere, as far as I am aware.
Instructions for what? How to extract data from a multi-volume archive and burn an ISO image? It's not exactly rocket science...

Once again : Download all part files and then extract the ISO image or files by opening the first part with WinRAR.

Last edited by TCD; 22 April 2011 at 19:56. Reason: Added a 'n'
Old 22 April 2011, 18:52   #13
Tucker

Quote:
Instructios for what? How to extract data from a multi-volume archive and burn an ISO image? It's not exactly rocket science...
OK, so I'm standing here ready for my instructions ... ... that's me on the LEFT

There are no instructions that explain the use of WinRAR, which is a PC application, and this is supposed to be an Amiga site. How come the option to create the DVD was not considered using available Amiga software, such as Frying Pan or UNRAR from Aminet?

There is no information that explains that all the files will automatically concatenate/join together when you run WinRAR, though I am still sceptical, and details are still a little sketchy about how this operates exactly.

Quote:
Once again : Download all part files and then extract the ISO image or files by opening the first part with WinRAR.
So are you saying that the 'part files' transform into an ISO file by using WinRAR, or is it just that they all unarchive into one massive set of files ready to be burnt to DVD?

Do all the part files of the DVD have to be in the same directory when you run WinRAR with the first part file?
Old 22 April 2011, 19:05   #14
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
There are no instructions that explain the use of WinRAR, which is a PC application, and this is supposed to be an Amiga site. How come the option to create the DVD was not considered using available Amiga software, such as Frying Pan or UNRAR from Aminet?
We merely host the files contributed by members of this board. People also gave you quite clear instructions how to use the files here already. To be honest, if you don't like how it is, you don't have to use the file server.

Quote:
Do all the part files of the DVD have to be in the same directory when you run WinRAR with the first part file?
Yes.
Old 22 April 2011, 19:20   #15
Tucker

Quote:
We merely host the files contributed by members of this board. People also gave you quite clear instructions how to use the files here already. To be honest, if you don't like how it is, you don't have to use the file server.
I'm grateful for the files being here, and also for you helpful guys that are on this forum, I really am.

However, please don't start having a go at me as you're missing my point. If you put files on the server, surely they should be simple enough to understand, and should work properly, which they don't seem to be doing - Home / Collection / BBS / Amiga CD-Rom / Amiga CD-Rom (1995-10).rar in question, which seems to be saved as an AUDIO ISO rather than a DATA ISO.

That took my Amiga to point to that error, not a PC.

Have you tried to burn it to a CD?

So please don't start having a go at me when you haven't got any further information to know if it works for someone else, because it certainly does not for me, and I have tried my Amiga on it, and my PC.

I was obviously trying to avoid using my PC to create these disks, but if I have to set aside my Amiga to use WinRAR then I suppose I will have to, but it will be a last resort.

I also appreciate all the very quick replies to the problem I'm having with unarchiving/using these files, so please be a little patient with the newby here, that's me.
Old 22 April 2011, 19:30   #16
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

You don't get my point either : It's a file resource, not a ready-to-go-all-prepared-for-you webpage. When people tell you how they made it work, just follow their advice. We gets me started is when people join here and demand stuff just because they don't get how it might work. Anyway, just wait for cosmicfrog and 1time to give you further advice.
Old 22 April 2011, 19:53   #17
Tucker

Quote:
You don't get my point either : It's a file resource, not a ready-to-go-all-prepared-for-you webpage. When people tell you how they made it work, just follow their advice. We gets me started is when people join here and demand stuff just because they don't get how it might work. Anyway, just wait for cosmicfrog and 1time to give you further advice.
I don't think you are being very fair towards me.

At no point have I demanded anything, I have politely asked for advice, and I am prepared to wait, as long as it takes for replies from those who have given their time to explain the methods to unarchive/write this data. In any case I have quite a lot of experience using an Amiga.

Surely I could not have known, on an Amiga based website, that the files only extract as intended with PC software. Though I seem to have extracted some files from these DVD part files using an Amiga version of UNRAR.

Actually I was registered for a while, sometime ago, but haven't been logged in for a while. I, just before this post, found that my old user name/password was no longer recognised so I had to re-register, but I used my old username, and password to register, which went through without any issues.

I'll sit here patiently for a reply from 1time, and cosmicfrog, who I'm very grateful to for taking their time to explain how to unarchive these files. I just need a little guidance it seems, not a prod in the back, and shown the door.
Old 22 April 2011, 20:00   #18
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
That's what I meant and which I hopefully explained why there are none. Have you even tried it with WinRAR on your PC by now? I think it's a tad unfair to ignore the advice given as well.
Old 22 April 2011, 20:17   #19
Tucker

Quote:
That's what I meant and which I hopefully explained why there are none. Have you even tried it with WinRAR on your PC by now? I think it's a tad unfair to ignore the advice given as well.
If you look back at post 8, I replied that I'd tried WinRAR as well, and that gave the same results eventually with the 'Amiga CD-Rom (1995-10).rar' file, and it's a tad unfair to prod me in the back again, without reading my reply posts.
Old 22 April 2011, 20:21   #20
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Also tried it with the Boondocks archive? Thought that was the topic in the last posts. I'm currently downloading the mentioned Amiga CD archive to see if there's anything wrong with it btw.