English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 16 April 2021, 09:05   #181
Solo Kazuki

Because there are rather rare updates of list in first post, I've created my loose copy of this list. It's available here on PPA. List is written in English to be more useful.

Big thanks for Sunchild for this list, You can use my list as You wish. Also big thanks for everyone who contribute in this list!
Old 16 April 2021, 12:29   #182
Retro1234
Phone Homer

did anyone ever notice that the original Rainbow Islands the second button does the same as button 1, why did they enabled the second button in the first place?
Old 23 April 2021, 08:23   #183
Solo Kazuki

Hybris (WHDLoad) - blue to use smart bomb, green to expand ship, play to pause
Metal Law (WHDLoad) - blue/2nd button to jump
Myth (WHDLoad) - blue to jump (if CUSTOM2 is set), green to select weapon (blue if CUSTOM2 isn't set), reverse to previous weapon, forward to next weapon, play to pause
Ruffian (WHDLoad) - 2nd/blue button to jump, yellow to special shot
Shadow Warrior - CD32 joypad support

Last edited by Solo Kazuki; 28 April 2021 at 10:44.
Old 23 April 2021, 09:26   #184
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
did anyone ever notice that the original Rainbow Islands the second button does the same as button 1, why did they enabled the second button in the first place?
just in case the fire button goes bad probably. A few games do that. At the time very few joysticks had 2 buttons.

Fire & Ice even supports 3 buttons...
Old 28 April 2021, 11:41   #185
Solo Kazuki

Correction to list about wrong entries. Neither Capital Punishment nor Shadow Fighter are using more than one button. Also Fire Force floppy version supports just one button, only CD32 version have support for more buttons.

Last edited by Solo Kazuki; 11 May 2021 at 09:39.
Old 02 May 2021, 12:58   #186
Solo Kazuki

Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold
Blake Stone: Planet Strike
Exhumed/PowerSlave
Quake
Old 12 June 2021, 18:30   #187
Solo Kazuki

Atomic Robo-Kid - 2nd button to select weapons
Insects in Space - 2nd button to use smart bomb
Voodoo Nightmare - 2nd button to enter/exit inventory
Old 11 July 2021, 22:05   #188
Solo Kazuki

I had today chance to check in action 3-buttons joystick. Games using all 3 buttons see 3rd one properly, but interesting is that games who didn't use 3rd button see this 3rd button as [PLAY] in CD32 joypad. So many games have pause on that 3rd button by default.
Old 11 July 2021, 23:02   #189
jotd
This cat is no more

The 3rd button is probably the same as the "middle mouse" button. I'd gladly support those but I don't have any, and winuae doesn't emulate them (yet). Could be cool to be able to read a 3rd button on a non-CD32 joypad.
Old 12 July 2021, 11:41   #190
Solo Kazuki

If this helps, WHDLoad version of Apano Sin read 3rd button correctly. I'll say even more, this game is fully playable only with 3 buttons joy (see list).

And Yes, it's the same pin/line as MMB. In first post is link to topic (IComp Wiki) about buttons (including 3rd).
Old 12 July 2021, 22:14   #191
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
The 3rd button is probably the same as the "middle mouse" button. I'd gladly support those but I don't have any, and winuae doesn't emulate them (yet). Could be cool to be able to read a 3rd button on a non-CD32 joypad.
What do you mean by not emulating it? Default is 2-button joystick because almost nothing supports 3 buttons. 3rd button is available via manual config or selecting "Gamepad" preset. (and as usual, there is still the annoying pullup resistors vs no pullups difference. "Gamepad" enables them. "Joystick" does not.)
Old 12 July 2021, 22:20   #192
jotd
This cat is no more

that's great, thanks Toni for clarifying.
Old 14 July 2021, 18:02   #193
Solo Kazuki

@JOTD
As I can see on WHDLoad, first (?) game with added 3rd button (not CD32) support appears. It's Switchblade II, for me it's good choice because of two different jumps.
Old 14 July 2021, 18:28   #194
jotd
This cat is no more

yes. Glad that you like it (there was also a major bug in the last release)

I have added 3-button support for non CD32 pads. I wanted to do that for a while and it's pretty trivial but I didn't know that WinUAE "gamepad" setting that enables 3 button mode, and I don't have a real 3-button joy to test.

In the next releases, the third button will be mapped as "pause" if no other button is useful.

Shadow of the Beast 3 follows. If you have other ideas for slaves needing adaptation tell me. Ideally I should rebuild all of them but it's a lot of work and I hope that Bert finally adds a readjoypad routine in whdload.
Old 14 July 2021, 19:18   #195
Solo Kazuki

Quote:
In the next releases, the third button will be mapped as "pause" if no other button is useful.
But actually it IS pause when CD32 joypad support have pause on [PLAY]. At least that was working this way on tested games.

Quote:
Shadow of the Beast 3 follows.
I don't hide that i'm happy for that.

Quote:
If you have other ideas for slaves needing adaptation tell me. Ideally I should rebuild all of them but it's a lot of work and I hope that Bert finally adds a readjoypad routine in whdload.
Actually it can be added to many games, but most useful it should be to arcade-like ones, IMHO.
Old 14 July 2021, 21:35   #196
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
But actually it IS pause when CD32 joypad support have pause on [PLAY]. At least that was working this way on tested games.
Well, I think you've tested games that assume a CD32 joypad no matter what. Problem is reading a non-cd32 joypad with a CD32 joypad routine is buggy: if you press button 2 or button 3 you get ALL buttons pressed (so the effect is often pause)
Old 26 October 2021, 21:58   #197
Solo Kazuki

I'm writing just to mention that my list mentioned before is updated when I find something new with support, so there are more games than on this list.

@jotd
3rd button works independently from lowlevel.library and as i said some games see it as pause button.
Old 21 November 2021, 02:17   #198
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Don't want to be nitpicking, but R-Type doesn't support 2nd fire button, not natively at least. For such an awesome port, it should have been a no-brainer. As a matter of fact, Factor 5 didn't implement it. The manual is a little ambiguous :

Quote:
A key will be used to select this weapon (aka the Force), whether keyboard or joystick, control has been selected.
mmmmh... not quite clear. Then the next page reads :

Quote:
FOR COMMODORE OWNERS :
Control is by joystick in port 2 or the following keys :
A - UP
Z - DOWN
O - LEFT
P - RIGHT
K - FIRE

The space bar is used to detach and retrieve the Force.
Same can be said about R-Type II.
Old 21 November 2021, 03:24   #199
Aardvark

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkBox View Post
Don't want to be nitpicking, but R-Type doesn't support 2nd fire button, not natively at least. For such an awesome port, it should have been a no-brainer. As a matter of fact, Factor 5 didn't implement it.
Quick test in WinUAE with 0940 IPF. The 2nd button is retrieving/detaching the Force, as intended.
Old 21 November 2021, 05:16   #200
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
in WinUAE, I won't deny it. What about in actual machine ? Maybe there's a little piece of code in WinUAE to bridge the gap between the lack of support in said game and your controller to make things easier, but you will notice that there is no mention of second button in the manual, nor in the game options. I use a Mega Drive joystick with my A500 (along with an adapter), and I cannot for the life of me detach the Force in R-Type (same with some other shmups, second button is inoperative) unless I hit the spacebar.