English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 04 February 2005, 18:53   #1
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Mysterious hardware prb causes WHDload "Line 1111 Emulator" errors

I'm starting to get "Line 1111 Emulator" errors on every WHDload installed game now - not just new games, but games that were working perfectly fine before. I first tried shutting down the computer for a few minutes to clear memory, but this didn't help. Then I thought it was a virus, but the virus check was negative.

I don't think this is a WHDload problem (still using current WHDload executable) and I have changed nothing else on my system. I'm thinking this might be some kind of memory problem but I posted here to get more information on this "Line 1111 Emulator" message. What does it mean?

Last edited by mr_a500; 10 February 2005 at 01:43.
Old 05 February 2005, 16:12   #2
jotd
This cat is no more

You may have changed your WHDLoad prefs (in S. NOMMU could cause trouble, CACHE too.

LINEF emulation problem means that a LINEF instruction (kind of illegal instruction used by some OSes to handle system calls, I think MacOS used it, alternate solution to the TRAP call) has been encountered. In most cases it means that the version is unsupported, but that's obviously not your problem.

Could be a memory problem (faulty SIMM) but in that case, other programs should fail too.

First, try to update to WHDLoad last version, then locate the S:WHDLoad.prefs file (if it exists) and see if it has been modified recently. How many games have you tested?
Also, maybe you're using packed data installs & the XPK libs are corrupt?
Download the Cadaver package and try with the demos (no data needed, included in the install). See if it works.
Old 05 February 2005, 16:41   #3
MarlboroMan
Space for rent

Hmm i also get the line 1111 (guru 800000B) errors but not in whdload but in some standard games. It couldnt be a ram fault cause i have lots of simms which are tested and work flawless.

What can i do about that?
Old 05 February 2005, 17:00   #4
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

I already have the latest WHDload (16.4) and I have no s:whdload.prefs. As I said, I don't think this is a WHDload problem, but some kind of strange (and scary) hardware problem. It seems to be getting worse. I'm getting some graphics corruption in games now (WHDload installed and normal HD installed games) and crashes without GURU messages.

examples (all fine before):
Faery Tale (Peter McGavin installed) - Flicker, then crash
Faery Tale WHDload - Line 1111
MasterBlazer WHDload - major graphics corruption
Microprose Golf WHDload - fine
Chaos Engine JST - exception, crash

Strangely, I have no problems with IBrowse (which I'm using to post this) or YAM. (although they aren't as intensive)

If the "Line 1111 Emulation" error means illegal instruction, do you have any idea what could cause this to start happening? Fried CPU? FPU? Agnus? MemCheck shows no memory errors. Is there any other test I can do? (I never have found any Amiga hardware diagnostic programs..)

Last edited by mr_a500; 05 February 2005 at 17:07.
Old 07 February 2005, 20:16   #5
jotd
This cat is no more

Do you have a gfx board? In that case, you seldom use Chip memory.
A wild guess would be that either some part of the chipmem is buggy or some chip is broken and causes wrong access in chipmem.

Microprose Golf whdload uses fastmem a lot, that could explain that it works.

Very very wierd problem. Maybe you should get another A1200 motherboard...

You could also try to run a low-memory usage WHDload program (such as Cadaver demo) with your expansion board disabled, booting without startup sequence.
Try with and without your board/RAM enabled and see if there's any difference.

Sometimes opening the amiga, dusting it, and applying a good push on the chips and fiddling with the cables help (can't do no harm in your situation )
Old 07 February 2005, 20:37   #6
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Quote:
Very very wierd problem. Maybe you should get another A1200 motherboard...
An A1200 motherboard in my A500? That would be very wierd. I'm using an A500.

No, I don't have a graphics card. If I boot without the expansion card, I won't have a harddrive to run anything. (using Viper 520) And I already pushed all chips & connectors in.

I have a feeling the Mini-Megi (2Mb Agnus) is screwing up. When I get a severe crash, (just got one an hour ago) turning the computer off for 2 minutes doesn't clear memory. When I restart, I get the severe crash again. If I turn off the computer for 10 minutes, everything works OK for a while until the next random severe crash. Yesterday I was running many games without problems, then today I had the crash again. Very verrry wierd!
Old 07 February 2005, 23:12   #7
Amiga1992

Moving this to Hardware probs for the hardware gurus to check! (Overdoc?)
Old 08 February 2005, 10:51   #8
MarlboroMan
Space for rent

As i stated above i have this error in standard (non-whdload) games. (Not in all ofcourse, in fact its just a few ones). For example the game T-Zer0. No matter how i boot or where i install this game it crashes always with a 8000000B right after the ´executing kickstart´ words.
If i try this game under winuae it works flawless.

I tested the fastram and chipram with memtest - no errors reported.

So what is this? Could it be the mainboard? Or the Blizzard-Turbo?
Old 08 February 2005, 11:35   #9
girv
Mostly Harmless

@mr_a500: do you get the crashes after some time using the computer or straight away? Since it takes 10 minutes to stop the crashes I'm wondering if something is overheating - possibly a chip, possibly a contact or track warping slightly and breaking or making intermittent contact. After 10 minutes perhaps whatever it is has cooled down enough to start working again.

Also since you have an A500 try simply pushing down on all the chips to make sure they're seated properly. I had to do this from time to time with my A500. You could even take them out and clean their little legs Be careful though...

@MarlboroMan: same questions
Old 08 February 2005, 14:14   #10
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlboroMan
For example the game T-Zer0.
Keep in mind TZero is a buggy piece of shite and it uses not to work on any machine :P

[ot]How'sabout a WHD install for TZero?[/ot]
Old 08 February 2005, 17:14   #11
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

@girv

I was also thinking it was something overheating, but I'm not so sure. Sometimes it crashes when it's not that hot. It's a very annoying unpredictable problem to solve and I know it's hard for anyone to help me when it is this unpredictable.

Now that I think of it, I did have a repeated crash like this about 6 months ago using PPaint and Scala. I never had any problems with these two programs before that, but suddenly they were crashing horribly. After about a week, everything went back to normal - and I changed absolutely nothing.

Could this be harddrive related? In both cases, I was creating and editing a large number of files in a certain location. Checks show everything is valid, but is there some kind of HD buffer that might be getting overloaded/corrupted? (I know nothing of modern HD buffering)
Old 08 February 2005, 17:28   #12
girv
Mostly Harmless

Did you try reseating or cleaning the chips on your motherboard? A bad or intermittent contact might cause strange behaviour and it would be good to at least rule this out of the investigations...
Old 08 February 2005, 18:15   #13
MarlboroMan
Space for rent

/me gets a little offtopic

Today i dug old my old spare A1200 to test T-Zer0 on it just to ensure its not a chipram fault or any other hardware issue. The same problem there (guru). Apparently it needs a whdinstall.
Old 08 February 2005, 18:20   #14
Amiga1992

MArlboroman: I told ya
Old 08 February 2005, 18:36   #15
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Yep, as I said earlier, I already pushed all chips and connectors in. I'll take out the Viper later to check the chips underneath.

Another thing that makes me wonder about the harddrive - many of the non-WHDload crashes occur when the drive powers off (power saving). The drive is a IBM Travelstar 2.5" 20Gb and has that 10 second power off when there is no activity. Could this sudden shut off of power cause a power fluctuation that occasionally causes a crash? Is there any way to turn off this "feature" to check?
Old 08 February 2005, 20:05   #16
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_a500
Could this sudden shut off of power cause a power fluctuation that occasionally causes a crash? Is there any way to turn off this "feature" to check?
Defiintely, it could cause something. Dunno how to change that though... I thought that depended on the machine's settings and not the HD
Old 10 February 2005, 01:33   #17
pbareges

even if it has nothing to do with this issue, it reminds me another problem i had with jst when installer was based on files instead of disk images....when i ran these games from my 3.5'' 2Gb HD it was frozing right at the launching but when i ran them from my 3.5'' 2Gb HD everything worked fine....as jotd was on the forum, i thought he may have an explanation.....
Old 10 February 2005, 01:47   #18
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

How do I change the title of this thread? I don't want people to think this is a WHDload bug (I just wanted info on the error message to help solve my strange hardware problem). I tried changing the title of the first post, but that doesn't do it.
Old 10 February 2005, 02:14   #19
Amiga1992

I'll change it, tell me if what I changed to pleases you
Old 10 February 2005, 03:42   #20
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

That's good. Thanks.