English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 17 August 2021, 17:20   #1
slaapliedje

3.2 optical drive filesystem support?

Was just thinking...

Pretty sure 3.2 has support for reading DVDs. Not sure about Blurays...

But if you took a DVD, dual-layered even, you could have a 9gb boot up. Which is more than enough for a lot of amiga software, and you'd just have to boot from a floppy. Has anyone made an attempt at this? I suppose, depending on the hardware support you could bake into such a thing, you could use a USB stick to save any data on. Make an ultimate transferable set up. Would be pretty sweet.

If Bluray data disks could be read, that could be up to 50gb, which would be more than enough to fit all of WHDLoad onto...

Granted, there are for sure things in Workbench that'd probably whine because it can't write. Those could go on the floppy.

This isn't much different to how 3.9 installs.
Old 17 August 2021, 17:43   #2
thomas

Reading from DVD or Bluray is not an issue. File system might be. As long as you use ISO9660 with extensions (Joliet or Rockridge), you are fine. UDF most likely won't work.

There's nothing in AmigaOS or Workbench which requires write access to the boot partition.

Booting from CD/DVD/BD needs more support. CDTV and CD32 can boot from optiocal disks if the disks are prepared accordingly. Cyberstorm/BlizzardPPC/MK3 can boot from SCSI drives without special preparation. Other controllers can't AFAIK.
Old 17 August 2021, 18:04   #3
stevelord

I haven't tried a Blu-Ray drive with AllegroCDFS but Allegro does support UDF, which some Blu-Ray data formats use (I believe).

You'd need to be able to boot and launch a CDFS that supports UDF to successfully mount a DVD. After that you could reassign startup settings to it. I doubt this would work in a CDTV or CD32 though - maybe the CD32 with the right IDE expansion?

But I guess the big question is what would you put on a DVD that you wouldn't have on a CD? I know there's multi-CD games, but I'm not sure what you'd physically fill it with that would be so inconvenient it's worth sacrificing CD compatibility. Ultimately a DVD is about 4.7Gb in size and depending on Roms you might or might not be able to address it all anyway.

Interesting thought experiment though.
Old 17 August 2021, 18:58   #4
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelord View Post
Allegro does support UDF
It claims so, but in my experience any DVD which didn't work with CacheCDFS didn't work with AllegroCDFS, too. And disks which work with AllegroCDFS work with CacheCDFS, too. So for me there is nothing in AllegroCDFS which makes it superior to any other CD file system.
Old 17 August 2021, 20:41   #5
slaapliedje

I usually use AsimCDFS, but don't remember if it supports UDF. I did attempt to get a decent ftamerate from playing my Howard the Duck DVD... without success, but it did read/play. Don't think I have tried actual data disks though...