English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 16 June 2021, 17:51   #2821
rabidgerry

Just I have a Fast ATA MKII and I am in two minds about it which is why I initially ask.

Like am I really going to get a nice pay off? Or headache.
Old 16 June 2021, 18:38   #2822
grond

Even the harddisks of old were a massive speed-up compared to floppy disks. It didn't matter that much, though, whether your harddisk did 1.2 MB/s or 1.5MB/s. What did the FDD do? 80KB/s? Amiga files are usually in the dozens of KBs to single digit MB range. Other factors are limiting in an Amiga which is why you won't notice all that much of a speed-up if you get a MB/s more. HDDs (dozens of MB/s) vs. SDDs (up to GB/s) in modern day PCs have more notable effects as we are routinely handling files in the GB size range.
Old 17 June 2021, 16:31   #2823
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
Just I have a Fast ATA MKII and I am in two minds about it which is why I initially ask.
Like am I really going to get a nice pay off? Or headache.
I see where you're coming from. Personally I wouldn't bother.

If you have a turbo card, or even just some FAST RAM, the transfer should be more than enough to enjoy everything Amiga
Old 17 June 2021, 17:33   #2824
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Aga View Post
I see where you're coming from. Personally I wouldn't bother.

If you have a turbo card, or even just some FAST RAM, the transfer should be more than enough to enjoy everything Amiga

I knew someone would say that, but then this is why I asked. I have an Apollo 1260 with 64mb of ram. On my ACA 1233n the IDE speeder gets me around 6.5 mb/s. With the Apollo I get around 2.1 mb/s.
Old 17 June 2021, 18:14   #2825
Daedalus

Well, given the option, if all other factors aren't of any consequence, there's nothing wrong with going for a faster drive. The speed of any drive these days will be restricted by the Amiga's IDE bus, so anything that gives you 10MB/s or more will already be able to outpace even the IDE speeder setup, and pretty much any decent device these days should be able to sustain those speeds. What made more of a difference back in the day with mechanical drives was seek time, especially when accessing lots of small files, a heavily fragmented drive or when accessing multiple files at once where more of the time was spent moving the heads than actually transferring data. Solid state drives don't have seek times as such, so that's largely irrelevant these days too.
Old 17 June 2021, 20:16   #2826
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Well, given the option, if all other factors aren't of any consequence, there's nothing wrong with going for a faster drive. The speed of any drive these days will be restricted by the Amiga's IDE bus, so anything that gives you 10MB/s or more will already be able to outpace even the IDE speeder setup, and pretty much any decent device these days should be able to sustain those speeds. What made more of a difference back in the day with mechanical drives was seek time, especially when accessing lots of small files, a heavily fragmented drive or when accessing multiple files at once where more of the time was spent moving the heads than actually transferring data. Solid state drives don't have seek times as such, so that's largely irrelevant these days too.
For clarity's sake, do you mean an actual hard drive and not CF/SD drives or are you including those or differentiating between the two?

I did an experiment myself and copied the exact same image of a drive onto an SD card (class10 U1) just to see if I got any more mb/s using that over a CF card rates 133x. I got a little more, but not much. This was simply to see if a faster rated card would boost the rate without any additional gadgets. When using the IDE speeder on my ACA card the same 133x CF card was getting that 6.5 mb/s. So I know a 133x card is capable of 20mb/s so if the IDE is the bottle neck how do the extra hardware break through that?

Sorry for all the questions.
Old 17 June 2021, 21:18   #2827
Daedalus

I was kinda covering both - ultimately it doesn't matter in terms of throughput. You'll get small differences from device to device, but that SD card is capable of 10MB/s and the CF card is capable of 20MB/s so both will saturate the IDE port and give similar speeds. Mechanical hard drives should easily be able to exceed 10MB/s too unless they're very old indeed, but this performance will be affected significantly by seek times, so that comes into play too...

The IDE speeder pulls a couple of tricks to improve throughput, but these are applied at an interface level, so it shouldn't matter what sort of device is attached - mechanical hard drives should benefit as well as CF/SD cards.
Old 17 June 2021, 21:23   #2828
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
I was kinda covering both - ultimately it doesn't matter in terms of throughput. You'll get small differences from device to device, but that SD card is capable of 10MB/s and the CF card is capable of 20MB/s so both will saturate the IDE port and give similar speeds. Mechanical hard drives should easily be able to exceed 10MB/s too unless they're very old indeed, but this performance will be affected significantly by seek times, so that comes into play too...

The IDE speeder pulls a couple of tricks to improve throughput, but these are applied at an interface level, so it shouldn't matter what sort of device is attached - mechanical hard drives should benefit as well as CF/SD cards.
Thanks

I'll probably install the Fast ATA, you know how us Amigans just can't help tinkering
Old 03 July 2021, 12:17   #2829
kremiso

Never had a real A500 plus, so i'll ask here
it is possible to connect the old halfmeg expansion (a501 or compatibles) also on this?

can't remember at all
Old 03 July 2021, 18:34   #2830
Jope
-

I remember it working, you get 512kB more chip.
Old 03 July 2021, 23:23   #2831
NLS
Ancient User

1.5MB chip?
Not so sure.
AGA was capable of 2MB chip.
I think it added it as 512Kb slow.
Old 03 July 2021, 23:42   #2832
Daedalus

ECS is also capable of 2MB chip RAM - just look at the A600 and A3000. 1MB expansions for the 500+ also make it up to 2MB of chip RAM, so there's no reason the 512kB expansion wouldn't be added as chip RAM.

The RTC on the 512kB memory expansion won't be used however.
Old 04 July 2021, 00:10   #2833
NLS
Ancient User

Indeed you are right.
Old 04 July 2021, 14:22   #2834
kremiso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
I remember it working, you get 512kB more chip.
thank you
i was trying to search on google without luck
Old 06 July 2021, 13:35   #2835
NLS
Ancient User

I keep hearing people downloading more RAM in modern computers (I haven't tried yet).
Could the Amiga download more RAM?
Or because of the slower speeds, old tcp/ip stack limitations and not real Internet yet, it was not possible?
Old 06 July 2021, 15:16   #2836
ajk

Uh... what do you mean by RAM in this context?
Old 06 July 2021, 15:53   #2837
NLS
Ancient User

Random Access Memory
Old 06 July 2021, 15:59   #2838
crazyc

Ok, I am going to have to ask... what do you mean download more ram? What am I missing as on the face of it this is like asking if you could download a new dvd drive..?
Old 06 July 2021, 16:39   #2839
NLS
Ancient User

Well don't ask me. I keep reading this happening (?).
There are sites for this.
Old 06 July 2021, 16:40   #2840
crazyc

Perhaps if you could provide a link it would give some context?