English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 26 February 2006, 00:07   #1
Smiley
Amiga-less!

Apple Newton 4mb flash card used as SRAM with prepcard

Hi, I am wanting to know if it is possible to use a Apple Newton 4mb flash card as SRAM by using prepcard or any other means.

I have included a picture of one such card...

Old 26 February 2006, 00:17   #2
thomas

Everything with "flash" in its name (like "Compact Flash") is more a ROM than a RAM, meaning you should not write to it too often or it will die. So even if it would be possible to configure it as RAM, it won't be advisable.
Old 26 February 2006, 04:44   #3
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

Send a message via MSN to sarek2k
@thomas does that also mean it would be bad to use CF cards as hd replacement if your gonna write a lot to it? i say this cause a lot of people are doing just that either on amiga/pc or anyother computer for that matter! (ie IDE to CF etc)

If so i would advise setting up ram or rad disk and writing to that unless you wanna keep the stuff or even fill up your CF card in one go then just read off it (hope i am making sense here )
Old 26 February 2006, 10:21   #4
thomas

There is a big difference if the memory is used as HDD rather than RAM. There are a lot more write accesses to RAM than to a HDD. A program writes to memory all the time while it is running while on a HDD you save a file once and that's it.

Flash memory has a limited number of write cycles. That's a fact. But they are made to be used as HDD storage. They are used like this in photo cameras and in mp3 players and memory sticks. So why not use them in computers, too. The only thing you should avoid is to store caches like from a web browser on the card. These caches have really many write accesses (but still not as many as RAM).