English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 20 January 2022, 04:06   #21
markpaterson

The PiStorm 32 is very interesting indeed, especially with Emu68 and bare metal access. But is it cycle accurate? And if not now, could it ever be? And does that matter?
Old 20 January 2022, 07:54   #22
Romanujan

Accelerators are not cycle accurate. If you need cycle accuracy, you need plain A1000/A500/A500+/A600/A2000
Old 20 January 2022, 08:23   #23
Doda

It's not definitely RTG, but you can use a slightly higher resolution via Indivision AGA thanks to it's own framebuffer. Unfortunately it's not super fast.
Old 23 January 2022, 18:27   #24
Jpor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doda View Post
It's not definitely RTG, but you can use a slightly higher resolution via Indivision AGA thanks to it's own framebuffer. Unfortunately it's not super fast.
Shame. Would have been interested in getting a Pi Storm. But would miss my nice RTG desktop.
Old 23 January 2022, 20:54   #25
Exodous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doda;
Shame. Would have been interested in getting a Pi Storm. But would miss my nice RTG desktop.

The way I read Doda's post is that it is suggesting that the Indivision AGA was an option for improved graphics, but that the Indivision isn't an RTG.

I don't think it was in reference to the PiStorm, which appears to the Amiga as an RTG.
Old 24 January 2022, 00:48   #26
Jpor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodous View Post
The way I read Doda's post is that it is suggesting that the Indivision AGA was an option for improved graphics, but that the Indivision isn't an RTG.

I don't think it was in reference to the PiStorm, which appears to the Amiga as an RTG.
Interesting.

P96 compatible then?
Old 24 January 2022, 20:43   #27
Exodous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpor View Post
P96 compatible then?

Yes... according to these instructions https://github.com/captain-amygdala/...wiki/Setup-RTG
Old 25 January 2022, 13:01   #28
Lisko

What I don't like much about pistorm or even the vampire for that matter is that you are basically using the amiga just for powering a raspberry pi. I know that even a real accelerator + rtg will pretty much bypass all of the amiga motherboard and it's why I will prefer an affordable modern scsi solution for the blizzard rather than an rtg card. But anyone has its preferences and ways of using their amigas.
Old 26 January 2022, 22:08   #29
btp

@Lisko not true. With PiStorm all of the Amiga's custom chips are usable and working as normal. The RPi only emulates a 68K CPU accelerator and (if the user wants to) additional add-ons such as hard disks, RTG video, AHI sound, network interface. All software that needs access to the Amiga's chipset they can have it.
Old 27 January 2022, 11:59   #30
Lisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by btp View Post
@Lisko not true. With PiStorm all of the Amiga's custom chips are usable and working as normal. The RPi only emulates a 68K CPU accelerator and (if the user wants to) additional add-ons such as hard disks, RTG video, AHI sound, network interface. All software that needs access to the Amiga's chipset they can have it.
Yes but if using all of the above options (rtg, ahi sound card, disks and network) the custom chipset isn't doing anything, all happens and even output from the emulator on the raspberry. I don't want to criticize anything, I'm just saying that from my point of view I prefer a classic accelerator with an 030/040/060+ppc in my real amiga and having a separate raspberry for rtg+ahi+... needs and is virtually the same thing. Using the pistorm only as a cpu upgrade for me it makes more sense as a cheap upgrade path but if you already have even an 030 with 32 bit memory, it makes more sense having the raspberry for standalone usage. Fpga and period correct expansions are another story and I could see them interesting. Obviously this is just my opinion on the matter and as long as you are enjoying you can do whatever you want.
Old 27 January 2022, 13:46   #31
S0ulA55a551n

Quote:
Originally Posted by btp View Post
Not true for vampire either

My questions about pistorm is about slow chip ram access. Will this be improved ? I think the vampire lot have got chip access pretty much at the theoretical max ? Unless I miss understood.
Old 10 February 2022, 23:48   #32
Jpor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodous View Post
Yes... according to these instructions https://github.com/captain-amygdala/...wiki/Setup-RTG
Thanks Exodus