English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 25 September 2017, 12:56   #1
Cherno

[WIP] Gloom Total Conversion for ZDoom

This is a supposed to be a TC of the 1995 Amiga game "Gloom" by Black Magic Software for the GZDoom port (A Doom port with enhanced functionality).

Gloom.pk3

If you are new to GZDoom, just follow these simple instructions:
1. Download the newest GZDoom version from https://zdoom.org/downloads
2. Install GZDoom.
3. Put the Gloom pk3 file into your GZDoom directory.
4. To start the game, drag the pk3 file onto the GZDoom executable, or create a BAT file with these commands:

Code:
@echo off
start gzdoom.exe doom2  -file gloom.pk3
Note that you need the file doom2.wad which comes with all Doom2 versions you can get on the internet.

Gloom and the enhanced version Gloom Deluxe were part of the Doom clone avalanche that hit personal computers in the mid-90s. The Amiga was already on it's way out but there were still a large number of machines in households, especially across Europe. The hardware wasn't suited for fast 3D action games but nevertheless several titles of varying quality were released over the years, with the most well-known probably being Alien Breed 3D I and II as well as Gloom. I played this (very hard) game a lot back in the day and thanks to @Kinsie who kindly uploaded most of the original assets of the game I was able to convert a lot of it to GZDoom.

How does it play? Well, it's a lot simpler than Doom in many ways, both gameplay and visuals-wise. You don't get any different height levels, textures are drab and very limited, sprites have very few animations, and the gun only shoots projectiles of different strength and color (it has unlimited ammo, too). However, there are some things that vanilla Doom wasn't capable of, such as rotating and sliding sectors as well as a nice easter egg where you get to play a Defender-style game at an arcade cabinet, inside the game!

I am quite happy that I was able to put almost everything from the original game into GZDoom, the only thing I couldn't do was the nice teleporter effect but these are not very common so no biggie

So anyway, if you fancy some braindead and very gory action, give it a try. I have converted the first four levels of the first episode so far.

Thanks to Black Magic Software and Kinsie
Old 25 September 2017, 13:39   #2
Allen1

Wow just WOW, that is great, I'm about to start Space hulk 3 so I won't stay long

Just remember to first put the doom2.wad into the game folder before dragging gloom.pk3 into gzdoom.exe as mentioned above.

Oh, I like all the surprises especially the one at the end (as you can probably guess, I love DOOM and doom type games)

Last edited by Allen1; 25 September 2017 at 14:03.
Old 25 September 2017, 19:55   #3
zipper

Wouldn't call Gloom (DL) very hard - just hard. Did not take too long to play thru.
Old 25 September 2017, 23:17   #4
Cherno

I only ever got as far as the first or second hell level. Those Deathhead monsters that pull you towards them are horrible! The controls don't help

I just finished converting map 1-5.
Old 25 September 2017, 23:21   #5
zipper

Just run backwards and spray bullets. Best to have full upgraded weapons.
Old 01 October 2017, 04:37   #6
Cherno

I finished the Spacehulk maps and the first Gothic Tomb map. Furthermore, I changed all the health and damage values to what they were in Gloom. Those Lizards hit hard and fast! I'm not sure when I will upload the newest version. I don't want people to experience the TC piecemeal because the maps are very small and can be finished quickly.