English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > Amiga websites reviews

Old 14 April 2002, 11:57   #1
matthew

Wink nice download side

ok here is a nice game list for people that are searching for some games.

http://amiga.l33tz.com/menua2.html

Old 14 April 2002, 13:51   #2
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Re: nice download side

Quote:
Originally posted by matthew
ok here is a nice game list for people that are searching for some games.
@Matthew
Cool Nice quick and uncluttered site
@S4murai
PE2000 is an excellent site, but is slow and has a horrible menu system. I only use it for the rarer stuff myself.
Also Ive never been able to figure out how to download from EmuChina.

Last edited by Dastardly; 14 April 2002 at 21:21.
Old 15 April 2002, 00:32   #3
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Yes but where's the best place for HD-installed games!? Seems like there are now basically none! :-(

Or alternatively, where is a site with ORIGINAL disk images of games, that they can be used with the WHDLoad installs available at www.whdload.de?
Old 16 April 2002, 09:12   #4
jmmijo

Re: Re: nice download side

Quote:
Originally posted by Dastardly
@S4murai
PE2000 is an excellent site, but is slow and has a horrible menu system. I only use it for the rarer stuff myself.
Also Ive never been able to figure out how to download from EmuChina.
Hmm, you have to use a browser vs. an FTP or a grabber like GetRight. You have to go thru their web browser windows and I'm afraid you have to get one file at a time

I myself don't seem to run into many problems now with emuchina, when I had a DSL connection it was much more difficult, but with my cable connection it seems to go very fast
Old 16 April 2002, 13:21   #5
fiath

Quote:
Originally posted by Minuous
Or alternatively, where is a site with ORIGINAL disk images of games, that they can be used with the WHDLoad installs available at www.whdload.de?
You will be able to do this with CAPS images. Just write an image back to disk and then do a WHDLoad install on it...

Obviously these will not be available from the site, but at least you will know you can do it (assuming the WHD installer supports the version of the game that is dumped).
Old 16 April 2002, 13:30   #6
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

What would be nice is if the CAPS images could be accessed like a device (for making WHD installs, or maybe even for other uses). That way, an install can be made using a mounted image dump rather than having to write to disk (and risking a possible hard error on the floppy). This process should be faster, as well.

But I reckon some tool would need to be written that can mount said image as a device.
Old 16 April 2002, 21:30   #7
jmmijo

But wouldn't part of what CAPS is all about be lost in this? I mean I thought CAPS was about exact preservation, this means to me, the floppy disk not to be mounted from a disk image on a hard drive. Just some random thoughts by yours truly, now talk amongst yourselves
Old 17 April 2002, 01:29   #8
kafiend

I'm finishing my TOSEC collection as I write this.
Heres what i've been up to...

PE2000: gave up as a bad job.

Emuchina: Used an awesome (although irritating in some ways and mildly unstable) proggy called BlackWidow to spider the site and leech. BTW, if anyone wants pointers on how to set up Blackwidow to work efficiently and grab only the .zips let me know.

Aceroms: Used Getright's browser to grab ALL the given zips in the TOSEC directory's straight into my Alphabetised directories on my HD and then deleted the ones I already had from the list created. Getright sufixes any already existing .zips with a .01 in the file name, tedious to go through the list I agree but simple overall.

Hope this helps you collectors
Old 17 April 2002, 02:36   #9
Fissuras
Old Luny

I tried using BlackWidow but didn't get it to work. I used to browse the site with BW, so that I could pass the password scheme, and then started exploring... the BW program was able to download some stuff, but always partial files... and it was slow as hell... I would like to get some tips about its configuration...

wich version did you use?
Old 17 April 2002, 11:34   #10
fiath

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
But I reckon some tool would need to be written that can mount said image as a device.
Not sure there is much point in this other than WHDLoad installs? Most disks are custom formats or at least track loading so you wouldn't be able to use any files on a mounted image - and you surely couldn't boot from it.

I think a better solution would be to add support to WHDLoad directly - though this may be unlikely to happen - seeing it from the WHDLoad developers point of view. Probably the same reasons why they do not current support (directly) originals with no protection as an ADF image. Or originals imaged by an ADF ext2 tool.

Who knows though... if WHDLoad does not support it - somebody might write such a tool for the exact purpose of using JST & WHDLoad... The need for something like this is clearly there - because as you said - the disk you use might have hard errors.
Old 17 April 2002, 11:42   #11
fiath

Quote:
Originally posted by jmmijo
But wouldn't part of what CAPS is all about be lost in this? I mean I thought CAPS was about exact preservation, this means to me, the floppy disk not to be mounted from a disk image on a hard drive. Just some random thoughts by yours truly, now talk amongst yourselves
Well, I don't see why not personally. Obviously I don't know how all other members would feel about it though...

After all, you will be mounting the disk image in UAE, why not a real Amiga?

If anything - I would think a preservation project would rather people *not* use disks at all - for the reasons that TG pointed out. A disk image is more likely to be 100% true to the original if kept as an image on a hard drive than it is being kept on an (much) more unstable media like floppy disks.

Writing to disks is purely a goal to keep current original disks safe from bit rot, and allow people to play the games for those that do not work on an emulator.

I can see your point though