English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Home Projects > project.EAB

Old 12 June 2020, 18:41   #61
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Damien,

I can't imagine all the countless chores you've done on the back-end of EAB, maintaining it and keeping it running.

I try to be very exact and precise in my language and I do my best, although I'm as human as anyone else, to avoid directly insulting anyone. If you felt insulted by me, I apologize. I'm as bad as anyone - no, I'm as bad as YOU about digging my heels in and not listening to what people are trying to tell me via constructive criticism.

I think the basic intent of those messages you were referring to above was this: We didn't want the FTP/The Zone! touched in any way *because it was never necessary in the first place.* We simply wanted everyone to understand that there's no legal difference between games, OS's, kickstarts, or apps. We live in a glass house and we need to drop the stones because *any* of those items are subject to a suit filed by the license holder. The caveat to all this is that 98% of all that stuff is 20 years old or older and the license holders no longer seem to care about "lost revenue" in providing it for download.

If the license holder for OS 3.9 was active - Apollo would already have been shut down. Still, and especially since 3.1.4 is an active OS with an active license holder so far as I know, its a good idea to eliminate OS's and Kickstarts from EAB at least at the present time. I can't speak for OS 4.x - don't know, don't care. This is the last time I will mention the name of that particular company on EAB.

All Amigans live by the grace of the inaction/disinterest of the original license holders of a whole lot of product created for the Amiga platform.

What I saw was a difference of opinions with some digging their heels in taking a "moral/ethical" stance and if others didn't share their morals they were somehow unworthy. There was never a moral issue here - merely a legal one.

Damien, for your work on the WHDLoad games, we are in your debt. I hope you continue on as a "user" and continue to provide your in-depth knowledge to the community-at-large. Be well.
Old 12 June 2020, 18:47   #62
Dunny

It ain't gonna be the same without you dude, take care and enjoy being one of the regular users for a change. At least now you only have to read the threads that actually interest you.

And where has the Curated collection thread gone?
Old 12 June 2020, 19:02   #63
mcgeezer

Without doubt the wrong decision has been made here and I'm quite pissed off.

I think the work and contributions Damien has made over the past years that I have known him has certainly not being taken fully into account here in the decision making process.

I know that from experience that RCK is pretty much absent here, while that's all fine he should certainly take the time to look into the detail of what has went on over the years.

At the very least he RCK should reconsider and look at the devil in the detail.
A better approach would have been to ask Damien to take a short break from moderation as this is clearly on the back of recent arguments and cross forum figures, I should also point out that sometimes forum cultures can play into these things (certainly in my experience anyway).

In these strange times of a global pandemic and in lock down people can write and even do irrational things. Damien has done nothing but defend the EAB, of course he can be abrupt in his manner but that is often needed on here with some of the characters that frequent it.

Please stay on the forum Damien as you'll certainly be missed if you go AWOL.

Graeme
Old 12 June 2020, 19:23   #64
Radertified

Quote:
To all you so called "members" here who slung mud at myself, EAB and the EAB File Server... ask yourself this; what exactly do you do for this forum?
I myself have been "super moderator" of a very popular Amiga forum. I enforced the rules that #1 gave. Some forum members hated me for it, but I did it because it was what I was asked to do.

You were upholding the EAB law and will therefore get hate for it. Ignore it and you'll feel better. Trust me. I speak from experience

Quote:
I will no longer do anything for anyone, the Amiga community, EAB or the Abime network.

I sincerely hope you continue your game pack thing. I don't have access to it but I do know that people love it and you've helped a lot of people.
It's kinda the next iteration of GameBase Amiga. I'd hate to see it die.

Quote:
I'm still debating whether or not to have RCK completely delete my account.
Don't. You'll regret it. Again, I speak from experience. Just let the account stay dormant if you want to get away.
Old 12 June 2020, 19:31   #65
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
[*]Donating £200 per game to meynaf as motivation so that he would undertake porting the Atari ST games "Karateka", "Arctic Moves" and "Sinbad and the Throne of the Falcon".
There are a few things you can still do without being a GM
Old 12 June 2020, 19:46   #66
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
A better approach would have been to ask Damien to take a short break from moderation
This!
I concur.
Old 12 June 2020, 20:00   #67
stevsurv
Beta 1.666

There are lots of us here, including myself, that appreciate your input and everything you do here mate!

Life has its ups and downs and sometimes its good to take a breather when it gets a bit too much.

You are a valued member of our Amiga community and seeing you go will sadden us greatly!

Please stay on as a member and logon when ever you feel you want to.
Old 12 June 2020, 20:05   #68
BippyM
Global Moderator

Guys,

If like to add my two pennies here..

Firstly this thread is not going to be closed unless there is a real need.. Keep it positive and it'll remain open.

Secondly.. Damien has done the very very best, and for 5 years has poured his heart and soul unto eab. I personally think he needs a break from the enormous task that is eab and moderating it. He has done this alone and it has got to take a toll on any man. He has done an absolutely sterling job.

I think a break from this all will benefit both Damien and the EAB, and when he returns (and i am sure ye will once he's had some time to enjoy Amiga again) I am sure there will be a moderation post for him..

Also.. He's now free to participate in every single thread and give his full opinion on things without holding back.. Maybe the beast had been unleashed
Old 12 June 2020, 20:31   #69
roondar

I hope that Damien will simply take a (small) break and then return. EAB won't quite be the same without him, even if I didn't always agree with him.
Old 12 June 2020, 20:36   #70
rare_j
Zone Friend

You do a lot of work here and deserve a break.
I've noticed discourse over the years getting harsher and I've often thought it must be very difficult to moderate as a few characters pounce on the usual topics and take any opportunity to turn the tone sour.
I hope you continue to contribute your valuable thoughts and opinions.
Old 12 June 2020, 21:23   #71
zenox98
Joy Division

Totally understand and sympathise mate.

I gave up as a moderator for the Construct forum and am much happier now.
Old 12 June 2020, 21:28   #72
Jgames

Damien does things he likes with extreme passion and dedication.

He likes the Amiga, so he's very passionate about it.
(As an example, the Dragon Slayer CDTV thread).

He liked Shadow Gangs and there too he helped me fix numerous issues and some were the kind very rare individuals could ever encounter, as they were out of the scope of most players.

He also paid for the game, he's the first ever buyer of it even I offered the game to him for free numerous times.

He also a big supporter, I know he supports a lot of software developers, including me.

But I think it's good for him to stop moderating, there are other important things to do in life.

I hope he'll still stay a member, but he's my friend so I am keeping contact with him in any case
Old 12 June 2020, 21:33   #73
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Yeah, don't you dare to vanish another 6 years, like 2010!
Old 12 June 2020, 21:57   #74
TomXP411

People don't realize what a thankless job moderating is. Most of the folks you deal with are great, but the few that make moderation necessary are the ones that keep you awake at night, wondering what **** they're going to pull next.

It's not all fun and games, and quite frankly, it's not something I want to take on ever again, either.

Enjoy the break, Damien. =)
Old 12 June 2020, 23:32   #75
AMike

Quote:

To all you so called "members" here who slung mud at myself, EAB and the EAB File Server... ask yourself this; what exactly do you do for this forum?
I know you're talking about me, but I don't feel any anger about it. Believe it or not, I'm not happy that you're no longer a mod. I know how ungrateful this job is and what you've made in the background over the last years.

There are two Damien for me - this one:

Quote:
I've spent the last 5 years, at least 12 hours a day looking after EAB virtually by myself i.e:
  • Reading all threads / posts.
  • Approving "News" threads.
  • Moving, renaming and editing threads / posts.
  • Supporting / assisting members, answering numerous posts, and PMs that I receive daily.
  • Checking / verifying new user accounts.
  • Deleting spam threads / posts, and banning spam accounts.
  • Dealing with disputes / difficult threads.
  • Administering all aspects of the "EAB File Server".
  • Checking / administering "The Zone!".
  • Contributing to "HOL" / "TOSEC" etc.
  • Running the "EAB Games Competition".
  • Monumental in getting the .IPF rule on EAB reversed.
  • Donating various sums of money to EAB / RCK, the EAB File Server, the EAB Games Competition, numerous game developers, Toni Wilen etc.
  • Donating £200 per game to meynaf as motivation so that he would undertake porting the Atari ST games "Karateka", "Arctic Moves" and "Sinbad and the Throne of the Falcon".
  • Contributing various stuff to the Amiga community.
  • Releasing 15 years of hard work re: my collection to the public.
  • etc.
And the other Damien who, on some subjects, goes completely overboard. Sometimes it looked like a personal vendetta. Which finally led to this decision and that's a pity because we all share the same passion. The first Damien is a great guy - the second one I don't like very much.

Personally I think that 12 hours a day is way too much for a mod alone.That is too much of a burden.
Old 12 June 2020, 23:48   #76
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMike View Post
...the other Damien who, on some subjects, goes completely overboard. Sometimes it looked like a personal vendetta. Which finally led to this decision and that's a pity because we all share the same passion. The first Damien is a great guy - the second one I don't like very much.

Personally I think that 12 hours a day is way too much for a mod alone.That is too much of a burden.

Damien reminds me of ME about 20 years ago. The PC/Mac technician who had no patience with users who couldn't grasp technical concepts or peers who weren't as knowledgeable as me. RTFM! It took several years and the patience of leader-mentors who saw something talented in me and who taught me the value of patience and understanding users and peers who found me insulting or denigrating when I honestly didn't see it. By the time I retired, I was the leader-mentor and a much happier human being.

Damien is a talented young man and he'll find his way (back here) someday.
Old 12 June 2020, 23:48   #77
ma693541
Computer Wizard

Sorry to see this DamienD. Hope that you will continue on your game collection and that you will still share it with us from time to time. Don't delete your account, you will regret it in some months time.

The real life comes first. Live long and prosper. \/.
Old 12 June 2020, 23:55   #78
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

Well put by AMike and Weaselrama.

Damien, you need and have well earned a break. Take this opportunity to refocus yourself and unwind, and when you're ready to return, we'll have your back again.
Old 13 June 2020, 00:12   #79
aeberbach

Sorry to hear it but happy you will still be around, I appreciate what you did and the time and effort it cost.
Old 13 June 2020, 00:15   #80
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

A while back, this nice an tough bubble dino asked to retire. I don't know what happened backstage, but the visible side is that he stayed.

Everybody has a life beside this forum. But the fact is, DD is the guy who did the job alone for a long time. I'm surprised that the other mods, who were taking it easy before (fortunately things have changed a bit recently), while all the work was being done, didn't manage to tip the scales in another direction...

Probably I've missed some "episodes" recently with my computer down, but for sure the kick DD is getting in the butt now is undeserved.

There are ways of doing things, and this one is, in my opinion, insulting in terms of the work done by Damien.

It's a BIG disappointment...

Damien : Brown definitively suits you