English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 18 December 2014, 22:58   #21
Cobe

I can only blame myself. I wish her(them) all the best.
Old 19 December 2014, 00:05   #22
TjLaZer

I sold/gave away all my systems but when I got back into the retro scene 10 years ago I don't seem to suffer from this idea. I am perfectly content with another machine replacing and continuing my hobby. I'm totally ok with a replacement machine from another place. It's the same machine from the same place my original one came from!
Old 19 December 2014, 00:41   #23
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

I remember the day I sold my A600 through Loot and my parents helped me deliver it. I took it round and even helped set it up so they could get started straight away. I got the impression the buyers didn't appreciate my enthusiasm or being told how to plug in a computer by a kid.

Like you, TjLaZer, I had a strong attachment to the system, but not necessary mine in particular beyond the fact that I knew mine was in as good condition when I sold it as the day I bought it, and very few people were as OCD about keeping it pristine as I was. I was so bad I used to stick my head awkwardly under the keyboard shelf and watch the disks being guided slowly into the drive's slot at just the right angle, equidistant to either side so I knew they weren't scraping the edges. If I'd got a scratch on it, the psychiatric bills would have bankrupted my parents.

Did anyone else use turps to make sure they got every last spec of old disk labels off before they applied a new perfectly smooth one? I doubt the crown jewels are handled with any more reverence than my Amiga kit. It's why I'd struggle to own second hand hardware bought from eBay (or wherever) today.
Old 19 December 2014, 10:49   #24
jb2815

I had disks that were covered in many layers of labels and stickers, as well as twink (white correctional fluid) - I'm surprised they still fit.

As for delicately handling disks, during heated Street Fighter 2 matches I would become so infuriated that I would whip the disk out, and frisbee it across the room into the wall. They usually still worked, even after the shutter had fallen off...
Old 19 December 2014, 12:53   #25
Gordon
Settler

I still got my 600. Just about forgiven my dad for chucking the Weird wonderful box it came in though.
Old 19 December 2014, 18:40   #26
Starglider 2

jb2815, you just gave dreamkatcha a coronary.
Old 19 December 2014, 20:12   #27
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb2815 View Post
I had disks that were covered in many layers of labels and stickers, as well as twink (white correctional fluid) - I'm surprised they still fit.

As for delicately handling disks, during heated Street Fighter 2 matches I would become so infuriated that I would whip the disk out, and frisbee it across the room into the wall. They usually still worked, even after the shutter had fallen off...
You are a wretched creature and don't deserve to breathe the same air as us Amigaphiles! Get out of my forum!
Old 19 December 2014, 22:01   #28
Paul_s

Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamkatcha View Post
You are a wretched creature and don't deserve to breathe the same air as us Amigaphiles! Get out of my forum!
If you ask me I'd rather snog an Atari ST user than have read what was written...

Last edited by Paul_s; 19 December 2014 at 22:36.
Old 19 December 2014, 22:03   #29
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

You do realize that was a joke right? I thought it was so over-the-top it couldn't be taken any other way. I apologize if any offence was caused, it definitely wasn't intentional.
Old 19 December 2014, 22:35   #30
Paul_s

Quote:
You do realize that was a joke right? I thought it was so over-the-top it couldn't be taken any other way. I apologize if any offence was caused, it definitely wasn't intentional.
of course I knew you were joking! (the head bash smiley was for the other post, not yours - will edit it)
Old 19 December 2014, 22:54   #31
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Oh OK, cool. Can't be doing with forum rows and hostility these days. Life's too short.
Old 19 December 2014, 23:29   #32
Starglider 2

All that aside, it has occurred to me that someone on this forum might just have my original Amiga and collection. Or yours. Chances are high that at least 1 could be reunited.

I know there's Amibay but I wonder if Abime would do well to create a new subforum under Nostalgia called "Nostalgia Reunited", where we can post details that would help a fellow member recognize if they have our old system!

E.g. for mine it'd be recognizable as having many or all of these components and games:

Amiga 500 or 500 Plus (possibly rebadged as such)
GVP A500+ External Hard Disk might be present
Quickshot Pro II red joystick (s)
Many handwritten disks, usually all caps in blue or red marker, with "~ BACKUP ~" written, centralized.

Games might include many of:
Deluxe Paint
Terrorpods
Airball
Future Wars
Spy vs Spy
Eco
Newtek Demo
Northstar Demo
Octamed
Little Computer People
Gauntlet II
Arkanoid

If we had a lot of time we could probably calculate a unique fingerprint of closely matching systems based on all the contents and put it into a website. Could have different sections for C64, Apple //e, etc. That's my idea, but for now maybe just the new subforum idea? Ping webmaster?
Old 19 December 2014, 23:41   #33
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

That's pure genius! Go the whole hog and turn it into a TV series and let Cilla Black host it. "Starglider, you've not seen your Amiga in 25 years, but tonight, all the way from Timbuktu..."

Seriously though, the results of that - if you struck it lucky - would make fascinatingly surreal reading.

People owning other's DIY disk labels could scan them into a database, and then you could run the images through a handwriting interpreter gizmo and compare it against a sample provided by the Miggy seeker.
Old 20 December 2014, 00:01   #34
Starglider 2

I'm sure Cilla's looking for work. Seriously though, thanks. Who can program our new website? We could call it nowstalgia.com, if that wasn't taken. "Your nostalgia, now."

Last edited by Starglider 2; 20 December 2014 at 09:03.
Old 20 December 2014, 10:48   #35
jb2815

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglider 2 View Post
jb2815, you just gave dreamkatcha a coronary.
Quote:
Hehe, yes. This also brings back memories of a rather unfortunate incident of playing F1-17 (? Some F1 racing game by Team 17 I think).

I must have lost a race, and during a moment of intense passion I lay my favorite Quickjoy(?) Python 2 joystick down on its side, and karate chopped it - severing it in half where it lay on the desk.

After a rush of instant regret, I was joystick-less for several weeks until I had saved enough pocket money to buy an inferior Quickshot.

Haunts me to this day..
Old 20 December 2014, 12:16   #36
modrobert
old bearded fool

Déjà vu "El Condor Pasa" playing on DF0:.
Old 20 December 2014, 20:54   #37
Cobe

My C64 had numerous black scars cause I used to beat him with joystick often when I got frustrated by loosing life in crucial moments... and yes I had to buy new joystick very often. But I never raised my hand nor joystick on my Amiga
Old 21 December 2014, 05:40   #38
butfluffy

that reminds me of my mate when we were kids. half the keys were missing off his c64. he used to give it a bashing after losing lol games which infuriated him the most from memory were bubble bobble, r-type and ghosts and goblins. i can still picture the look on his face of total anger has be bashed his c64.
i still got old snes pads with teeth marks on them from the frustation of some games, worts was EVO - the quest for eden (the yeti fight). i had broken one or two pads in frustation by hitting them and it was costing money so i started biting the edges of the pads in temper. this action left teeth marks but didn't totally destry the pads function.
i'm still an angry gamer now with modern games but pads for new systems are far too expensive to break so now i punch or slap my leg hard and a few months back i punched my self hard in the head on the sullivan boss on dead rising 2 so some things never change lol.
i'm like the angry video game nerd x10 sometimes.
Old 29 December 2014, 18:47   #39
Cobe

Well, am I just wanting one another returning coincidence on at least small scale so badly or did it happen again?
As I posted last week here:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=39579&page=236
I bought that C64 with bunch of stuffs. One tape at first glance looked familiar to me. I didn't find any of my old C64 tapes in my parents home to compare but I found one audio that has to be dated in about the same time +/- 1 year. Here's the photo.
So what do you think, is the handwriting on the left written by the same kid as the handwriting on the right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141227_1926442.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	42585  
Old 29 December 2014, 18:52   #40
Starglider 2

Ha! The one on the left looks like he was about a year older, whoever he was ;-)

Which begs the question why he was writing "Back Of Bitch" on the right when he was younger!