English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 02 October 2011, 20:45   #1
Madcrow

Announcing Project Kickstart

I'm putting together a "virtual PD CD" aimed at Amiga newcomers and anyone else who wants a ready-made collection of high-quality Amiga freeware, shareware and open source software. Ideally, it will "ship" as both a zipped directory for direct use as a WinUAE hard drive and as an ISO for those who might want to burn it for use with a real Amiga.

Anyway, as I work on this, I'll want some help and suggestions from the community. At the moment, I've pretty nailed down the "basics" that I want to include (MUI, ClassAct, Picasso96, xad/xpk/xfd, LhA, SnoopDOS, NewIcons, Installer) and I've also decided on a few other things (SView5 and LoView for image viewing, ChaosPro for fractals, TVPaint for RTG-based painting, MUIbase for database management, the AK datatypes for file viewing, ProTracker 3.15 and OctaMED SS for music creation) but now I'm needing to put the rest together. Any recommendations for other freely-distributable software to include would be very welcome. I'm especially interested in recommendations for a good chipset-only paint program (for those looking to use this on a real system without a graphics card) and for a good multi-format module player for those who just want to listen to tunes. Also, once I've gotten the thing ready and mastered, I'll need people to test it on real hardware and stuff.
Old 02 October 2011, 21:02   #2
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

hIPPO pLAYER is a good multi format music player
Old 03 October 2011, 13:03   #3
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

Send a message via MSN to Rebel-CD32
Personal Paint is my choice for pixelling on my Amiga, I use it more than any other program. It's free and on Aminet. If you're going for a full CD, why not include a few extra programs that do the same thing, to give people a choice themselves. I really like the idea of a new, updated PD CD. There are a couple of programs which don't really fit in a specific category but are fun to try and can be quite useful for a game developer, CopColEd and Havoc Rainbows. Anyway try them out and see what you think.

Havoc Rainbows - http://aminet.net/package/dev/amos/hrainbows
CopColEd - http://aminet.net/package/dev/moni/CopColEdV12
Personal Paint - http://aminet.net/package/biz/cloan/PPaint
Old 03 October 2011, 13:26   #4
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
hIPPO pLAYER is a good multi format music player
I'll second that And while we are on the subject what about AlgoMusic? I've always liked that program.

How about the StoneCruncher packer as well? (and maybe even Titanics or Imploder if you want)
Old 03 October 2011, 14:30   #5
Madcrow

Thanks for the hints. I'll be adding what I can. Sadly PPaint seems to have a license that says it can't be made available anywhere except Aminet, so I'll have to e-mail Cloanto and see if I can get an exception. Otherwise, I'm thinking that I'll include AmiBlitz, AMOS and E for people who might want to write software. I've also realized that I'll need some nice 4 or 8 color icons so that the disk will look good on even a stock Amiga...
Old 04 October 2011, 17:51   #6
Madcrow

Just a quick project update. I'm well along on the collection part of the project. Here's a list of what's in my current working directory: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/43868329/current-lslr.txt

Anyway, I've got about 180 MB of stuff. Only 500 more to go
Old 06 October 2011, 16:53   #7
tero

For programmers it could be usefull to have a gcc-installer
http://forum.cd32-allianz.de/posts/l...d=f9r45o4aijy2

And maybe PortablE
http://cshandley.co.uk/portable/

greetz
tero
Old 06 October 2011, 17:22   #8
Madcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tero View Post
For programmers it could be usefull to have a gcc-installer
http://forum.cd32-allianz.de/posts/l...d=f9r45o4aijy2

And maybe PortablE
http://cshandley.co.uk/portable/

greetz
tero
I'll see about GCC, though I was leaning more towards VBCC given it's smaller size and better 68K code generation compared to the bloated-but-mainly-focused-on -x86-and-ARM mess that is modern GCC. As for PortableE, I'm already including two E compilers. What benefit would including a thrid one bring?
Old 09 October 2011, 17:45   #9
tero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcrow View Post
As for PortableE, I'm already including two E compilers. What benefit would including a thrid one bring?
It's up to date, last version from april 2011 and it compiles code for and runs on Aros, WB3.x, OS4, MorphOS and windows.
Old 10 October 2011, 16:40   #10
Madcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tero View Post
It's up to date, last version from april 2011 and it compiles code for and runs on Aros, WB3.x, OS4, MorphOS and windows.
True enough... I'm nowhere near running out of space yet, so Imight as well include it.

Speaking of still having plenty of space, does anybody have any PD game reccomendations. I currently have Babeanoid, Deluxe Galaga, Deluxe Pacman, Worm Wars, Keith's Quest, Lord of Alcandria (Chapters II and III, does Chapter I even exist), Kangband, ULarn, Tanx Squadron, Total Chaos, Adventure (the original text adventure) and Dungeon (the freeware mainframe version of Zork). Am I missing any really great games? I notice that my "Puzzle" folder is empty so far...
Old 14 October 2011, 04:07   #11
Wolfy

Sounds like a great idea...

KingCON gets my vote for inclusion
StatRAM is something I am looking to play with, dynamic resizing fastram ramdisk that survives reboot.
And also maybe include the original Blitz Basic too as not all amiga owners have the FPU required for amiblitz....

I would be happy to do some testing for you on real hardware...
I have 1500/1200/4000

I`m a returning amiga user so currently a bit noobish but heh, plenty of spare time
Old 14 October 2011, 14:25   #12
Madcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
Sounds like a great idea...

KingCON gets my vote for inclusion
StatRAM is something I am looking to play with, dynamic resizing fastram ramdisk that survives reboot.
And also maybe include the original Blitz Basic too as not all amiga owners have the FPU required for amiblitz....

I would be happy to do some testing for you on real hardware...
I have 1500/1200/4000

I`m a returning amiga user so currently a bit noobish but heh, plenty of spare time
I think KingCON is already in the working folder... Thanks for the heads-up on StatRAM. As for the original Blitz Basic, I'll have to see if it's freely distributable. If it is, then I'll include it.
Old 17 October 2011, 15:38   #13
Madcrow

Just a quick update: Since I still have a ton of space left, I'm going to be including some scene demos and MODs and other "passive entertainment" to fill the "disc". Finding good demos is easy: Pouet and ADA have them nicely rated and reviewed, but MODs are a bit trickier. Anybody have some music recommendations?