English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 29 September 2021, 07:06   #21
AEV

I had to return Shadow of the Beast II - wouldn't boot from Disk 1. Bought it via mail order so was a bit of a wait for the replacement disks.
Old 29 September 2021, 08:45   #22
sittingduck

In the early 90's I worked in a small games store after school. One of the things I did was make sure people had working copies when they complained about a game not working. If they were simple read errors we'd fix it ourselves by copying the faulty tracks from a good copy. But there were several times we experienced faulty games that required us getting new batches from our suppliers. I've mostly forgotten which games they were, but Ishar 2 (might have been caused by a requirement for the game to be un-writeproteted IIRC) and A320 Airbus stand out. Also at one time our main supplier asked if they could "borrow" me to have a look at a huge batch of Monkey Island 2 games that had been returned to them as faulty. I simply fired up X-Copy and did a checkdisk and found that there was a bad track on one of the later disks. We fixed it by just copying this track from a good set. Yes, those were the days of easy fixes :-) Best part about the job was that I could bring home all the games I wanted, if only I returned them in good condition.
Old 29 September 2021, 11:51   #23
sparhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingduck View Post
Best part about the job was that I could bring home all the games I wanted, if only I returned them in good condition.

Yeah! I also worked in a shop at this time, and this was definitely a nice benefit. And I had to play them, as I had to know what to talk to a customer when he is asking.
Old 15 October 2021, 19:39   #24
kremiso

Being a passionate player and also a vgames shop owner...
that's a dream for me
true confict of interest