English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 15 September 2009, 00:38   #1
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Power, Floppy & HD LED Replacement in Different Colours

When I finally get my A600 back together I would like to replace the standard green and orange LED's for something different - like a blue and a red for example...

Has anyone ever done this? - if so could you please post a link to where I could buy the LED's - I am guessing but I imagine it would just be a case of de-soldering the old LED's from the small board and soldering the new LED's on...?

Just a small thing but it would be cool to see a blue power light... I think
Old 15 September 2009, 10:18   #2
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

Maplin or RS would be your best bet for these LEDs. They aren't anything special, however, the shape may be an issue as they are rectangular. Remove the old ones and solder the new ones in - job done.
Old 15 September 2009, 11:15   #3
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Greetings,
I deal with a company called Super Bright Leds

www.superbrightleds.com

Quick to get the parts and they don't charge a fortune, but for your quantity, ie. 1, something in the UK would be better.

Paul
Old 15 September 2009, 11:57   #4
s2325
Zone Friend

I always thought that these LEDs are white but plastic cover on Amiga case have color
Old 15 September 2009, 12:49   #5
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
I always thought that these LEDs are white but plastic cover on Amiga case have color
Nope; they are coloured LEDs and the main issue is getting ones that fit the holes in the upper case. It may be easier to get larger ones and file them down to suit the case.
Old 15 September 2009, 15:49   #6
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Not sure if this is going to be quite so easy... I will get more time on-line tonight to hunt for a suitable type and size - in the meantime does anyone know what voltage type I would need or are all they all the same?

Last edited by Peter; 15 September 2009 at 15:56.
Old 15 September 2009, 16:41   #7
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
As stop gap, why not try coloured nail varnish on the original LEDs?
Old 15 September 2009, 17:21   #8
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
As stop gap, why not try coloured nail varnish on the original LEDs?
I would feel as if I were cheating my way through this great and challenging mod!
Old 15 September 2009, 17:38   #9
Photon

Also, it's hard to get "blue" from "orange" with nail varnish, whatever the color, I think.
Old 15 September 2009, 19:29   #10
Eclipse
Turpentine

I did this to my A600 a while back..... 1993 IIRC
Old 15 September 2009, 19:36   #11
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
I will get more time on-line tonight to hunt for a suitable type and size - in the meantime does anyone know what voltage type I would need or are all they all the same?
They're all the same. IIRC, they drop about 1.7VDC and current is approximately 10mA for average brightness. The current is what determines the brightness, and the voltage across them stabilizes at about 1.7V.

It is usual to connect them to a 5VDC supply and use a 330 Ohm resistor in series to control the current.

If the brightness of the replacement diodes you purchase is not satisfactory, then fiddle with the value of the series resistor to increase or decrease the current until it looks right.
Old 16 September 2009, 06:30   #12
Loedown

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
They're all the same. IIRC, they drop about 1.7VDC and current is approximately 10mA for average brightness. The current is what determines the brightness, and the voltage across them stabilizes at about 1.7V.

It is usual to connect them to a 5VDC supply and use a 330 Ohm resistor in series to control the current.

If the brightness of the replacement diodes you purchase is not satisfactory, then fiddle with the value of the series resistor to increase or decrease the current until it looks right.
If you get technical, they all have different forward current requirements. I've always powered my leds at 20 mA, but depending how bright you want, V = IR, where V = voltage, I = current in Amps and R = resistance

So for 5 volts and current of 10 mA, then R = 500 ohms, closest value is 470 ohms, if you want 20 mA, then use 270 ohms instead.

Paul
Old 16 September 2009, 18:27   #13
Eclipse
Turpentine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loedown View Post
If you get technical, they all have different forward current requirements. I've always powered my leds at 20 mA, but depending how bright you want, V = IR, where V = voltage, I = current in Amps and R = resistance

So for 5 volts and current of 10 mA, then R = 500 ohms, closest value is 470 ohms, if you want 20 mA, then use 270 ohms instead.

Paul
You haven't deducted the forward V of the diode.
V=(5vcc-1.7led) 3.3v
3.3v / .0.10a = 330R
Old 16 September 2009, 19:53   #14
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post
V=(5vcc-1.7led) 3.3v
3.3v / .0.10a = 330R
Old 16 September 2009, 23:20   #15
Loedown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post
V=(5vcc-1.7led) 3.3v
3.3v / .0.10a = 330R
You haven't read the data sheets

http://superbrightleds.com/specs/w5_specs.htm

They all vary, but for rule of thumb, it was good enough.
Old 16 September 2009, 23:41   #16
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loedown View Post
Those Super-White LEDs have a typical forward voltage drop of 3.5V at 20mA. That makes your "rule of thumb" even more inaccurate than if it were only 1.7V
Old 17 September 2009, 02:40   #17
papa_november

With a lot of Amiga models (the 1200/500/3000 family), the case LEDs are of a weird dual-package type that is no longer manufactured, at least not in blue. I'm not even sure if it's possible to get semi-standard rectangular LEDs in blue.

The best bet for those systems would be to fabricate see-through plastic covers that standard LEDs can slot into. Actually that would be the best bet for the 2000/4000D as well, as it would make dual HDD LED setups possible.
Old 17 September 2009, 03:19   #18
Eclipse
Turpentine

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_november View Post
With a lot of Amiga models (the 1200/500/3000 family), the case LEDs are of a weird dual-package type that is no longer manufactured, at least not in blue. I'm not even sure if it's possible to get semi-standard rectangular LEDs in blue.

The best bet for those systems would be to fabricate see-through plastic covers that standard LEDs can slot into. Actually that would be the best bet for the 2000/4000D as well, as it would make dual HDD LED setups possible.
Use diffused plastic with LED's underneath.
Old 17 September 2009, 16:21   #19
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_november View Post
Two LED units and a remaining little gap will be the same size of those old dual LEDs, which are really hard to find. Delshay from Amiga.org did this some time ago (project Fury).

Quote:
Why for? Just hack a pair of diodes to stop current flowing from one controller to another and use the same original LED.
Old 19 September 2009, 16:36   #20
Secret Vampire

The way I thought of to do it (But haven't since IMO blue LEDs look a bit tacky, and there's not that much point swapping orange for green) was to get a dremel or similar and carve out the original LEDs from the rectangular part leaving 2 semicircular holes, and machine bits off the replacement LEDs to fit the holes you just made, then bond the two with a good quality clear epoxy resin cement.
I guess if you were going to do that though, you could cast a block of the resin and embed the LEDs into it, thus saving the original LEDs in case you want to put it back to stock condition.
For dual HDD LEDs on a big box, I'd look for some multicolour ones, and wire them so that one controller or drive is connected to each colour, that way you have just one LED flashing in a multitude of colours depending on which drives are being accessed.
IIRC the A2000 uses a standard rectangular one, but if an appropriately sized RGB version isn't available you could probably grind a round one down to size, just be careful not to destroy the diode itself while doing so.