English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Apps

Old 22 March 2005, 12:25   #1
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

RPG character editors

Any any all character and/or saved game editors and/or file format information for Amiga role-playing games.

I am writing an AmigaOS multi-game RPG character editing and transfer program. I have already done Bard's Tale 1 & 2, but would like to expand the program.

Especially appreiciated would be editors for, or information about the file formats of, Bard's Tale 3, Ultima 3-6, AD&D games, Dragon Wars, Faery Tale Adventure, Bloodwych, Times of Lore, Questron 2, Phantasie 1 & 3, Demon's Winter, Shadowlands, Wizardry 6, Neuromancer, Keef the Thief, etc.

Anything I can get the info for can easily be incorporated into the program.

Thanks...
Old 22 March 2005, 12:33   #2
oldpx

There was an Ishar 3 editor on aminet.

Old 22 March 2005, 13:06   #3
buckrogers

Quote:
...an AmigaOS multi-game RPG character editing and transfer program...
Greetings from Melbourne. Sounds too good to be true! So what does this program exactly allow you to transfer? Will you be able to transfer a variety of RPG's to be played on OS4?
Old 22 March 2005, 13:58   #4
Marcuz

here for eye of the beholder: http://ftp.unina.it/aminetbin/find?beholder
the last week i've converted an amiga savegame to a pc one by copy/paste the entries for the characters and inverting the order of hexes where needed: the object list is partly different on the two machines, but with some practice you could implement also the item lists of pc.

here for dungeon master: http://dmweb.free.fr/

about ishar: i remember editing the numbers for the skills of characters (lockpicking, healing, etc) but either they were level related so to be clocked with your advance or they were copyed in a mirror location inside the savegame as after a while in the game they were returned to prior state. no problem with the main stats tough (strenght etc). it would be cool if you could find a way to lock hungry and fatigue also: i remember on ishar 1 not to be able to carry 2 fights in a row without to get back in town to have some sleep and buy food!

Black Crypt: no editors here just some easy to read savegame http://www.aminet.net/search.php?query=black+crypt

Elvira both 1 and 2: the advance of the stats in the bottom line of the screen is clocked to the exp and should not be bothered singularily or it would make the gameplay unstable. but you could max out experience and have your char as it would be at the end of the game. the other character stats, in the secondary screen are customizable. here too it would be cool to freeze health and magic points

Last edited by Marcuz; 22 March 2005 at 14:05.
Old 22 March 2005, 15:22   #5
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Donno if it'll help, but here's also a Bard's Tale 1/2 Character Editor that was just (2005-03-19) added:
http://main.aminet.net/game/misc/BTCE.lha
http://main.aminet.net/game/misc/BTCE.readme
Old 22 March 2005, 16:16   #6
jmmijo

I remember seeing a few editors out there for various games and I bet Aminet is the best place to check out which ones may still be available

Myself I always found it much more fun to use a hex editor and figure out things for myself
Old 22 March 2005, 16:51   #7
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I can provide slim details about the Ambermoon format.
Old 23 March 2005, 14:25   #8
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Thanks for the replies.

The BTCE.lha on Aminet is mine :-) (BTW, don't use V1.0 of it, there are some bugs in that version.)

Quote:
Sounds too good to be true! So what does this program exactly allow you to transfer? Will you be able to transfer a variety of RPG's to be played on OS4?
Only the characters and/or save games, not the games themselves!! (But you can of course play all the games on OS4 using UAE I would assume...) What it would allow you to do, though, besides edit your stats, would be to transfer a character eg. from Hillsfar to Questron 2, or whatever, so that you can use the same character instead of needing to make a different character for each RPG..

BTW file format infos for ST, IBM, C64, Apple, etc. are better than nothing, Amiga is best of course :-)

Last edited by Minuous; 23 March 2005 at 14:53.
Old 23 March 2005, 22:17   #9
BlaCkAdDa
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to BlaCkAdDa
I remember being able to use action replay on a lot of those games to search for hex values ... it's pretty simple with something like xp points as they numbers are quite unique.... a LOT harder with simple things like stats since 2 digit numbers would yeild too many results.
Old 24 March 2005, 13:23   #10
buckrogers

It would be great to swap game saves between formats for the same game. For example, between the Amiga and PC (and Apple IIc and C64 too) for the SSI AD&D "Gold Box" series of games, starting with the mighty Pool of Radiance, circa 1988. Glad you mention them Minuous, since these are often overlooked in favour of Ultima, Bard's Tale, Wizardry, etc. Especially in the case of Buck Rogers Countdown to Doomsday on the Amiga - this would allow one to port the save game/character saves to play the sequel Matrix Cubed on the PC, since the sequel was never released on the Amiga. Not sure if this is possible. But yeah, to be able to port characters between different games on the one platform, and edit them, would be a cool tool.
Old 25 March 2005, 07:58   #11
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Funny you should mention that, actually. I have been thinking the same thing, cross-platform conversions will likely be supported, as the formats are usually similar so it might not take much work. It is going to remain an Amiga program though of course.

I've received a set of rare editors, with source, for MS-DOS RPGs directly from the author. I will upload these to my site in due course, and also examine the source code to discern the file formats.
Old 25 March 2005, 11:21   #12
buckrogers

Good job my fellow Australian, and fellow Spy vs Spy fan.
Old 25 March 2005, 19:04   #13
Marcuz

i would suggest you to make a list of what you already have and what you miss, in a couple of weeks, so to collect the editors
Old 25 March 2005, 23:12   #14
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

On the Amiga side, I have the Aminet editors (found in game/misc, game/help and game/patch directories), and Amiga Format coverdisk #6 (a few more editors).

On the MS-DOS side:
Bard's Tale 1/2/3/CS
*Betrayal at Krondor
Buck Rogers
*Castlevania
Champions of Krynn
Curse of the Azure Bonds
*Dark Ages 1
Dark Sun 1/2
Dark Queen of Krynn
Death Knights of Krynn
Dragons of Flame
Eye of the Beholder 1/2
*Firehawk
Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures
Gateway to the Savage Frontier
*Gauntlet 2
*Legacy of the Ancients
Menzoberranzan
Might and Magic series
*Mines of Titan
Morrowind
*Neuromancer
*Nightmare on Elm Street
Ravenloft 1/2
*Pharoah's Tomb 1
Pool of Radiance
Pools of Darkness
*Prince of Persia
Secret of the Silver Blades
*Sentinel Worlds 1
Treasures of the Savage Frontier
Ultima 1-6
*Ultima: Martian Dreams
*Wing Commander 1/2

* haven't been received yet but they are on their way.

Have source code for all the IBM ones too.
Old 16 June 2005, 15:34   #15
microslave
Amiga 1000 [1986]

Hi Minuous,
I remember how I played Neuromancer on my real Amiga many years ago and I just retried some editing of the savefiles to get money and health to stay alive in this game. I always found, it's nearly impossible to solve this game without tuning the condition value.
Today I had no lock, the savedisk always seemed to be corrupted after I changed one or two bytes containing e.g. the money. But...
then I thought of WinUAEs savestate feature and tried again and this time I succeeded. Here's the description:
I started answering General Armitage's post and got the $10000 which I downloaded via PAX to my chip. Now I had a value of 12006 which I could look for. You can use the Windows calculator (in scientific mode) to calculate the hex val (2EE6). Then I saved the state to an uncompressed uss-savefile and opened this in ultraedit (hex mode) Of course you can use any hex editor for that. Then search for your name to identify the relevant position in that file and look in the vicinity of your name for the interesting hex values. In my case I found 2EE6 (12006) for money and 7D0 (2000) for health. You now can moderately tune this values (don't overdue, I'm not aware of the limits with which the game can cope ;-) ) and load the savestate back to the game. I updated 2EE6 to 5EE6 to get $24294 and the health from 7D0 to 9D0 (2512)
Now it's possible to play this game without selling all your body parts first.
Hope this was of any help.
Have fun playing Neuromancer ;-)
Greetings
Microslave
Old 17 June 2005, 02:26   #16
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Well, that is one way to do it :-)

But IMHO it is easier to just edit the ADF, and easier still to just edit the save-file, since you are not looking through such a vast amount of data for the quantities you need to change.
Old 17 June 2005, 12:53   #17
microslave
Amiga 1000 [1986]

Sorry Minuous, I just read this thread a bit too quickly, since I was searching for some Neuromancer infos. Of course you're absolutely right: the goal should be to edit the save file, I just didn't manage to and only ran into "disk corrupt errors", because I lack knowledge of the savefile format.
Much respect for your rpg character editor task! It should make rpg life much easier for a lot of people ;-)
Old 27 December 2010, 10:40   #18
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

@Microslave:

Have a look at http://amigan.1emu.net/releases/rpg-form.txt

The Neuromancer file format is now fairly completely known, I was making an editor but accidentally overwrote the source code and didn't have the heart to redo all that work, so I made a Times of Lore editor instead...
But it is easy enough to edit the Neuromancer saves as you wish with a hex editor, now that the file format is known.
Old 08 June 2011, 18:07   #19
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Citadel of Vras character editor has been released: http://amigan.1emu.net/releases/MCE.lha

Also a HD-installed version of the game: http://amigan.1emu.net/aw/CitadelOfVras.lha

And maps for the game: http://amigan.1emu.net/aw/cov-maps.zip
Levels 1-5,7-8 are done, level 6 will be done in the next few days.

Enjoy.
Old 14 June 2011, 04:57   #20
Redwood

The xu4 project includes a document describing the Amiga File Formats including the save game files:

http://xu4.svn.sourceforge.net/viewv...AD&view=markup