English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 19 December 2021, 16:05   #1
reezo

Longer gameplays.. saving state (or other trick) on a real Amiga?

Hello everyone and thanks for having me here,

I am having a lot of fun playing games on my "new" Amiga 1200 (Vampire v1200 v2, 32GB CF) but some games are just too long for my game sessions (and this is absolutely normal, as it used to be ).

I am currently using WHDLoad with iGame but I am open to any possibility..

basically something like D/Generation is a bit too long for me to play in one go (I know, I should free more time ) so I was wondering if there is any trick or method to save the state of a game that technically does not have a state. I wish I could skip to a certain room/level but in some games it seems just not possible.

I could easily achieve this in WinUAE, (at least more easily) but I'd like to know if there's a way to do it on a real Amiga.

I've searched but could not find any specific answer to this.. maybe the hardcore real Amiga way is to just dedicate x hours to a game, as we used to do it in the good ol' days

Thanks!
Old 19 December 2021, 16:14   #2
jotd
This cat is no more

It was possible with Action Replay save state but with whdload / modern amigas it's not.

One of the reasons: no way to save the state of write-only chips without dedicated hardware.

whdload can record them if you have a MMU but that slows down the running game and was never exploited for a savestate.

Plus the fact that expansion/whdload memory would have to be the same at each run (using AllocAbs)

Some attempt was made with JST (and some slaves) but never was generalized. slaves had to be reworked to provide more info (basically info on write-only registers)
Old 19 December 2021, 16:17   #3
reezo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
It was possible with Action Replay save state but with whdload / modern amigas it's not.

One of the reasons: no way to save the state of write-only chips without dedicated hardware.

whdload can record them if you have a MMU but that slows down the running game and was never exploited for a savestate.

Plus the fact that expansion/whdload memory would have to be the same at each run (using AllocAbs)

Some attempt was made with JST (and some slaves) but never was generalized. slaves had to be reworked to provide more info (basically info on write-only registers)

It makes perfect sense, thanks for chiming in. In fact, my hopes were slim. In some games, because of cheats and startup codes, I am managing to do this (e.g. Flashback) and all is good.

Stuff like Dune II is no problem as it's got a built-in save system and WHDLoad works with it... Lots II has codes so it's OK, once I get one I save it and recall it the next time.. but stuff like Desert Strike or D/Generation are hardcore