English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 15 July 2017, 20:38   #1
matthewjames88

Using gotek to make backups of floppies (using program such as xcopy)

Hey guys. Hope I am posting this in the right place. I have 3 Amiga 500s. One had a defective floppy drive that was damaging my floppies leaving circles on them even after cleaning the heads. . . So I am thinking of cleaning all my floppies and making an immediate backup

Thus is my theory. Could I use a goteck drive to create adf or image of my floppies, using a program such as Xcopy?. My theory is that I could just make copies and the Amiga would think it is writing to a disk, bit instead the gotek to USB

Would this work???

These floppies are deteriorating even though the surface looks good. They squeal in different drives, so my plan is to cleaning them in isopropyl alcohol and making a backup.

I am poor I wish I had an a1200 or other solution for backup. Suggestions welcome.

Old 15 July 2017, 21:32   #2
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewjames88 View Post
Hey guys. Hope I am posting this in the right place.
Definitely not

...thread moved from the News section to the support.Other section
Old 15 July 2017, 21:53   #3
emufan

there is adfread - you can use on an old pc with two floppy drives - download at bottom of page.
this does work very well with standard amigados disks.
it will produce 880kb adf images

since i'm not sure about using gotek in this case

#1) do you have an external floppy drive? if so, you can put the gotek into the df1 drive
you need to set jumper S0 to S1 on the then external gotek drive - so it will be recognized as df1.

done so, you can fill the df1 usb stick with some empty adf images and copy to them.
this may work with standard amigados disk.

this is all most hypothetical, since i dont have a gotek or any amiga hardware on my desk.

#2) hmm, thinking again about it - you can of course try to copy from extern floppy to df0 gotek,
if you got an external standard amiga disk drive.

can anyone confirm this?

Last edited by emufan; 15 July 2017 at 23:39.
Old 16 July 2017, 02:08   #4
robinsonb5

Quote:
They squeal in different drives, so my plan is to cleaning them in isopropyl alcohol and making a backup.
If they're squealing, they probably have a layer of mould on the surface which gets scraped off by the heads on the diskdrive. That mould builds up on the heads and then causes them to leave the visible rings you described.

I suspect isopropyl will damage the surface so try it on a disk you're not worried about losing first.
Old 16 July 2017, 11:41   #5
matthewjames88

Thanks guys. I have an external Amiga floppy drive.

I did not know that was possible for a pc to image an Amiga disk. So I could say use a cheap usb floppy drive on pc to make backups?

Anyone have any tips on cleaning floppy disks (if possible?)

Old 16 July 2017, 11:52   #6
matthewjames88

Just read about adfread. I don't have an older pc to do that with the floppy drives.

Old 16 July 2017, 13:13   #7
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Anyone have any tips on cleaning floppy disks (if possible?)
There are loads of threads about this; just search for titles only and "cleaning"

Here's one that's a sticky in the support.Hardware section: - ! How to clean a dirty/mouldy disk ! -
Old 16 July 2017, 21:49   #8
idrougge

Gotek will likely only work if the disks can be copied using the DOScopy mode. With a HxC-enhanced Gotek, you can write to HCE files instead, which are not as limited as ADF files.

Clean your disks using a cotton bud doped with alcohol.
Old 16 July 2017, 23:59   #9
Sinphaltimus

If you have a null modem cable and serial port on your PC (or get a USB to Serial adaptor) you can use Amiga Explorer (https://www.amigaforever.com/ae/) to make ADFS of your floppy disks.

Connect the Amiga and PC, set both serial connections to 8,N,1 RTS/CTS/Hardware. You'll also need to right click and select properties of AExplorer on the PC to set com port. And edit the icon info for it on the Amiga to match settings.

Then

Just insert floppy in to Amiga drive, start AExplorer on the Amiga, Start AExplorer on the PC, then drag the Floppy device (DF0 or DF1) to a PC directory.

It can be slow but it works pretty consistently for me.
Old 22 July 2017, 23:49   #10
matthewjames88

Thanks guys - well the Gotek drive has come and been having lots of fun loading adfs onto a memory stick. Now this gets interesting. When writing to a blank adf from a floppy to the gotek using x copy the adf is corrupt (sometimes partly booting but defiantly not copying properly ) - tried all different copy modes. I'll have to find out what firmware this Gotek is using, when I turn it on it comes up h_c or something on the edisplay - i'll find out.

Now I've found a more recent version of x copy called 'X Copy - The next generation' and I got it to create a working adf from disk to Gotek! For some reason it only works when selecting BAM copy, but it created a working adf!
now here is the other thing - when loading that adf into winuae I get a guru meditation error and it will not load in winuae but will play through the gotek on real hardware....

i'll certainly do the more convention methods, but anyone had any success with this type of method? It would be a nice simple way to back up floppy's straight to a memory stick.

Old 23 July 2017, 00:24   #11
emufan

Quote:
Just read about adfread. I don't have an older pc to do that with the floppy drives.
sorry for delay, and yes, it does not work with usb floppy drives. you need 2 floppy drives
connected to the motherboard floppy connectors.

could be a limitation of the cortex firmware or the copy programs, i'm not sure here.

for your copy experiments you can try PowerCopy 3.07a.

and there is a new firmware for the Gotek, which you can try.
Old 24 July 2017, 17:27   #12
Akira
Black Lives Matter

Quote:
Thanks guys - well the Gotek drive has come and been having lots of fun loading adfs onto a memory stick. Now this gets interesting. When writing to a blank adf from a floppy to the gotek using x copy the adf is corrupt (sometimes partly booting but defiantly not copying properly ) - tried all different copy modes. I'll have to find out what firmware this Gotek is using, when I turn it on it comes up h_c or something on the edisplay - i'll find out.
Are you trying to copy originals? As said before that will not work, software copiers will not defeat copy protection.

Also: Cortex firmware isn't as great for writing to disk. Get the HxC firmware or the new FlashFloppy if you are daring.
Old 26 July 2017, 14:54   #13
matthewjames88

SUCSESS!

guys - I have successfully copied many original disks to ADF using the cortex firmware. I have it working. You are right, the cortex firmware is buggy when writing.
The problem I had was when creating a blank ADF in winuae, the file is 2.2mb. This seems to confuse the cortex firmware and any disks copied to this adf will fail.
I created a blank 880k file size blank adf, and copied several disks with this, and they all are working, both on the gotek and loading perfectly in winuae!

Using X copy the next generation I have all options checked - verify - lock both floppies etc and this seems to sync them up together nicely. I think that was the problem with older versions and some of the older copiers. Maybe there is a delay when writing to the gotek, but x copy TNG works no problem! - really chuffed this is working now

Old 26 July 2017, 16:36   #14
Akira
Black Lives Matter

Switch to FlashFloppy, it's really good, been testing it for the past few days. No point in using Cortex anymore.
Old 26 July 2017, 16:39   #15
emufan

good to know it does work.
for easy creation and examining of adf files on a windows box you may try
ADFView. it let you create new adf images,
from the explorer context menu ( new -> amiga disk file) and you can open standard adf
images within win explorer - inlc read and write file from/to the adf.
this does not work with most games.

#1) FlashFloppy firmware
Old 01 August 2021, 00:29   #16
Malakie

Using gotek drive.. have a question....

Hi,

The documentation for this Gotek drive is severely limited...

I have no issue using it to load ADF files for the Amiga..

BUT what I also want to do is the reverse.. take an ADF file and make it an actual floppy..

I have a machine that is factory and I don't want to modify it.. So I need floppies still for certain things.. I need to take one of the ADF files I have and simply use it to make a new floppy for that machine...

Can and how do I do that with the gotek? Or is that not possible?

I should be able to do it using standard workbench diskcopy but it would be nice if I could just do a direct, select an ADF on the gotek and clone it to a floppy disk.

BTW, is there also a way to actually use the gotek to just read a memory stick like a HD for example? Use it as an actual drive not just for ADF loading?
Old 08 September 2021, 01:40   #17
admiral
Engineer

A null-modem cable and amigaXfer (full disclosure: I'm the author) is how I dumped mine.

Regarding your Gotek, investigate FlashFloppy. That's the firmware you want to be running. Besides being maintained and open source, it has documentation.
Old 08 September 2021, 01:48   #18
Malakie

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiral View Post
A null-modem cable and amigaXfer (full disclosure: I'm the author) is how I dumped mine.

Regarding your Gotek, investigate FlashFloppy. That's the firmware you want to be running. Besides being maintained and open source, it has documentation.
Yea, I realized I already had a solution.. Amikit.. lol DUH on me.

As for gotek, I use flashfloppy but learned the hardway, using a 64GB memory stick and filling it up is NOT a good idea. I think it took 20 minutes to load every time I changed screens
Old 11 September 2021, 01:47   #19
admiral
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakie View Post
Yea, I realized I already had a solution.. Amikit.. lol DUH on me.
To be clear, the point to amigaXfer (besides being free and open source) is that it's actually very fast (some 2 minutes to write + verify a floppy).
Old 11 September 2021, 02:12   #20
Malakie

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiral View Post
To be clear, the point to amigaXfer (besides being free and open source) is that it's actually very fast (some 2 minutes to write + verify a floppy).
So I can actually make a floppy without needing to use the cable too? I.E. just use it to make an actual floppy on my system?

It does it have to be connected to another machine to do that?