English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 02 July 2021, 20:37   #1
Overmann

AmigaOS 3.2 icon degrade?

Hi,

I recently installed 3.2 on my A3000 with the new icons, however the machine is too slow to handle them and I've been trying to go back to the 4col icons. I seem to recall there was a utility bundled with 3.1.4 that did it but I can't find such a utility with 3.2.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I should go about installing 4 color icons?
Old 03 July 2021, 13:40   #2
PeterK

That utility for swapping the icon sets was included in BestWB for 3.1.4, but it will probably not help you to get your 4-color icons back on 3.2.

Did you already try out my icon.library on OS 3.2 for more speed? You would need the TC020 version as a replacement for Libs:icon.library.

http://aminet.net/package/util/libs/IconLib_46.4

In case that you use a native Amiga screen and the icon speed is still not fast enough, try to set the icon image quality to "Bad" in the Workbench preferences, which should give another little speed boost. For a better balanced color palette you could install FullPalette, by calling FPPrefs after IPrefs and copying one of my 16-color FullPalette.prefs files without the name extension into Envarc:Sys (see ThrirdParty/FullPalette)

Last edited by PeterK; 03 July 2021 at 14:06.
Old 05 July 2021, 20:29   #3
slaapliedje

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
That utility for swapping the icon sets was included in BestWB for 3.1.4, but it will probably not help you to get your 4-color icons back on 3.2.

Did you already try out my icon.library on OS 3.2 for more speed? You would need the TC020 version as a replacement for Libs:icon.library.

http://aminet.net/package/util/libs/IconLib_46.4

In case that you use a native Amiga screen and the icon speed is still not fast enough, try to set the icon image quality to "Bad" in the Workbench preferences, which should give another little speed boost. For a better balanced color palette you could install FullPalette, by calling FPPrefs after IPrefs and copying one of my 16-color FullPalette.prefs files without the name extension into Envarc:Sys (see ThrirdParty/FullPalette)
This post reminded me that I needed your icon.library for my 'After Setup' CD that I'm making. Curious about why it isn't the one included on the 3.2 disks, as it seems to be way better than the standard one.
Old 05 July 2021, 21:40   #4
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaapliedje View Post
Curious about why it isn't the one included on the 3.2 disks, as it seems to be way better than the standard one.
Oh no, then Hyperion could earn money with it.
Old 27 July 2021, 23:19   #5
slaapliedje

Big grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Oh no, then Hyperion could earn money with it.
Ha ha! Completely understandable! Still baffles my mind how the AmigaOS hasn't just gone full on open source. Sure I understand the 'why' it doesn't, but if more people managed to pursue that lofty goal, I think the community would benefit. We already have non-paid work on it, the only change would be the actual distribution of it. Settling on 'cost of eeprom flashing and shipping, with a bit of profit' for the physical kickstarts (or someone comes up with flashable kickstarts) and then grow the community around such an endeavor.

But hey, once can dream, right??
Old 28 July 2021, 09:15   #6
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

A 16MHz A3000 should be able to handle new icons without too much trouble and a 25MHz one should be fine. You sure you don't have another problem?
Old 29 July 2021, 07:03   #7
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I installed 3.2 yesterday and I am also not satisfied with the new icon set (they are giant on 640x256), but wait - there is not a way to remove them and keep the default ones? I am sure there is the option during installation where you tick if and which icon set you want. I am sure i got 4cols old icons first and installed the new ones additionaly. Degrading to default may mean reinstalation of the whole WB, though.