English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 19 March 2023, 03:11   #21
rhester72

FYI, I somehow omitted Armour-Geddon NTSC from the want list, but it's now been ordered (2 sets, one white, one blue, just in case there's any content differences)
Old 19 March 2023, 06:38   #22
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhester72 View Post
EDIT3: Zoned!
Thank you I've added the files to the server.
Old 19 March 2023, 09:46   #23
demoniac

I've uploaded my Baal dump with bad Trk 0.0. I didn't include a README file regarding it.

Also just because SPS has an NTSC preservation, there may be different NTSC versions of a particular game as well.
Old 19 March 2023, 09:50   #24
demoniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
The SPS encoder tool has the ability to rejuvenate the highscore for Turrican, even if the Score track is modified. This allows the user to write back the IPF highscore track to disk

Are you able to clear the high score modification for Leander in CTRAW format with the SPS encoder tool?
Old 19 March 2023, 11:05   #25
enzoboss

While it's not a Psygnosis game, does anyone know where this game can be found?
Hard Head: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 19 March 2023, 11:39   #26
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoniac View Post
I've uploaded my Baal dump with bad Trk 0.0.
Thank you I've added it to 'Flux_Images/Incoming/KryoFlux_SCP'.
Old 19 March 2023, 16:52   #27
rhester72

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoniac View Post
Also just because SPS has an NTSC preservation, there may be different NTSC versions of a particular game as well.
Agree, which is one of the reasons for the call to arms - I'm not rich. LOL I did try to account for this, which is why I picked up two different 'colors' of Armour-Geddon.

I think the incidence of this will be relatively low - of all the preserved games, only 5 have (known) alternates, and only one is NTSC.

Last edited by rhester72; 19 March 2023 at 17:44.
Old 19 March 2023, 16:54   #28
rhester72

re: Baal (and others like this)...I saw mention once of a way to do a CRC track compare amongst two images. How is this done? I can certainly merge the damaged part of track 0 in from the SPS release, but that brings me no closer to knowing if the _rest_ of the data is the same.

For amigados images, it's easy enough to convert to ADF and do a data compare, but not so much for trackloaders.

Last edited by rhester72; 19 March 2023 at 17:31.
Old 19 March 2023, 22:07   #29
demoniac

Quote:
re: Baal (and others like this)...I saw mention once of a way to do a CRC track compare amongst two images. How is this done? I can certainly merge the damaged part of track 0 in from the SPS release, but that brings me no closer to knowing if the _rest_ of the data is the same.

For amigados images, it's easy enough to convert to ADF and do a data compare, but not so much for trackloaders.
One approach would be using RawDIC from WHDLoad package to make disk images of the protective floppies and the official IPFs. That way one could compare the end images between the 2 sources and data compare at that point. I haven't attempted first hand, but Abaddon thought it would work.

Abaddon's approach is to modify the disk-analyse code to dump out the checksum for each track. It might be better to contribute to the Github repo and add/request the feature such that it becomes an official option for the tool. While this works, I would like to hex compare the disk images at the end, but as IPFs seems to have meta data with every track it is harder to visually determine what game data is different vs. IPF formatting.

Ideally for me would be using a tool like RawDIC to generate ADF-like images with the raw dumps such that I could hex compare at the end.

Last edited by demoniac; 20 March 2023 at 16:00.
Old 19 March 2023, 22:12   #30
demoniac

^ Perhaps, this topic should be asked in the project.SPS (was CAPS) forum?
Old 19 March 2023, 22:57   #31
demoniac

I uploaded to the Zone my raw dumps and unofficial IPFs for:

Chrono Quest II (disk 1 & 4 might be modified)
Leander (not listed in your list, scores modified)
Obitus
Old 20 March 2023, 03:21   #32
Abaddon

There are 2 different versions of Shadow of the Beast. The track lengths are different 0x1838 and 0x190C. I am under the impression that the version with the track length of 0x190C is the US version (only because I purchased it in a local store in the US), but I took a look at the disks a few moments ago and there is no mention of NTSC or PAL on any of the copies I have.

I do have quite a few Psygnosis titles both PAL and NTSC, but I am trying to finish up the validation of software collection and upload the entire collection to the FTP. Just have a few more titles to validate and then make sure the naming is consistent before uploading.
Old 20 March 2023, 05:43   #33
enzoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzoboss View Post
While it's not a Psygnosis game, does anyone know where this game can be found?
Hard Head: [ Show youtube player ]
Sorry it's an arcade game, not Amiga.
Old 20 March 2023, 09:42   #34
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Second, Red Zone - a bad preservation dump exists for the NTSC release, and that's it. Why is that? Did it not sell well/was produced in very low numbers? Both the NTSC and PAL releases are on my list here.
I bought two copies of Red Zone (NTSC & PAL). Both had a bad track in the same place (lots of previous PAL dumps also had bad track). The dumps went to SoftPres. The feeling at the time (2002) was this is a manufacturing defect. The feeling more recently is that the "bad track" contains no data and so didn't need to be written.

https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=110556&page=3

Last edited by alexh; 20 March 2023 at 10:00.
Old 20 March 2023, 10:13   #35
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzoboss View Post
Sorry it's an arcade game, not Amiga.
So double off-topic for this thread :/ Creating your own is free of charge.
Old 20 March 2023, 15:20   #36
rhester72

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
I bought two copies of Red Zone (NTSC & PAL). Both had a bad track in the same place (lots of previous PAL dumps also had bad track). The dumps went to SoftPres. The feeling at the time (2002) was this is a manufacturing defect. The feeling more recently is that the "bad track" contains no data and so didn't need to be written.

https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=110556&page=3
Any chance you still have those dumps (or can recreate them)?
Old 20 March 2023, 16:04   #37
demoniac

One step I forgot last night was that, I planned on using disk-analyse to convert the raw dumps to unofficial IPF to be used with RawDIC.
Old 20 March 2023, 16:32   #38
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
There are 2 different versions of Shadow of the Beast. The track lengths are different 0x1838 and 0x190C. I am under the impression that the version with the track length of 0x190C is the US version (only because I purchased it in a local store in the US), but I took a look at the disks a few moments ago and there is no mention of NTSC or PAL on any of the copies I have.

I do have quite a few Psygnosis titles both PAL and NTSC, but I am trying to finish up the validation of software collection and upload the entire collection to the FTP. Just have a few more titles to validate and then make sure the naming is consistent before uploading.
My understanding is Psygnosis referred to which version the game was for in the blurb on the box that said what markets the game was for.

"Not for sale outside UK, Europe and Australia" usually referred to PAL, and "not for sale outside the USA" for NTSC machines.
Old 20 March 2023, 19:55   #39
rhester72

Is it just me, or does every dump of Nitro have modified high scores?
Old 20 March 2023, 21:56   #40
rhester72

Amnios NTSC KF 5-rev preservation dump in The Zone.

Notes:

- Disk 1 appears to be the only one region-specific (PAL or NTSC), all known Disk 2s simply read "Amiga Disk 2"
- Disk 2 may have a modified (high score?) or damaged track per disk-analyse:

*** T61.0: Unexpected track length (seen 102215, expected 100150)
** WARNING: 1 track is damaged or unidentified!
T61.0: sectors 2, missing
T0.0-0.1: Unformatted
T1.0-79.1: Psygnosis B
T80.0-83.1: Unformatted

For this reason, I have *NOT* assembled an unofficial IPF release, though I would bet that my Disk 1 + the SPS Disk 2 would make a valid as-retailed NTSC release.

EDIT: Confirmed that 61.0 *is* the high score track _and_ it's actually busted on my set (i.e. every score is 0!). Restored bad score track from SPS dump of disk 2, confirmed with disk-analyse and unofficial IPFs are Zoned!

Last edited by rhester72; 20 March 2023 at 22:46.