English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 06 November 2002, 06:36   #1
DrGrieve

Newbie - having problems with Celtic Legends?

Recently put together winaue and amiga in a box to try and play an old game I liked - Celtic Legends.

I downloaded the ADF files from emuchina. A cracked version by Skidrow.

The game runs fine using the "old system" config in winaue expect for one thing. When I try to save a game it doesn't do anything and the game becomes unplayable.

I've tried to save the winaue state and at first I thought that worked but when you continue the game you are unable to enter the "Battlescene" anymore. It justs sits there with the loading screen.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone could help. From my searches it would seem that others have had the same problem but no solution?!?

PS What is "the Zone" I see mentioned in this forum.

Thx,

Old 06 November 2002, 09:18   #2
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

There might be something wrong with the Skid Row crack - in that case I'd advise running the WHDLoad install of Celtic Legends. WHDLoad is a program which installs games to hard disk - see the 'Forum rules, Amiga FAQ, Tutorials' section of the EAB for a WHDLoad FAQ. You'll need to set up a hard disk in WinUAE, then the WHDLoad program, the Celtic Legends WHDLoad installer and the Celtic Legends disk images. I can help you here...

There could also be something wrong with the emulation of the game - we could maybe try some different WinUAE configs.

The Zone is a temporary file store on the EAB - see the row of buttons at the top of the web page.
Old 06 November 2002, 10:32   #3
oldpx

I've always played with that skid row crack on my real Amiga, it works fine but yes, there are problems saving the game. You need to place the save disk at a certain time and remove it at a certain time etc. I can't remember well but read the instructions skid row says at the cracktro, I think I did when playing it years ago

Old 07 November 2002, 03:10   #4
DrGrieve

CodyJarrett:

Does the Skidrow adfs I have work with WHDLoad? It mentions that you need the originals which I unfortunately do not have.

I use to play it on a friends Amiga, but he probably was using a cracked version then even if he still has the disks etc etc.

I'll give it a try. Thx.

Burseg:

I tried to follow the instructions but to no avail. I created a floppy with winaue and then formatted it in workbench (not sure if I have to do this or if there a special type of format is needed). I then inserted before I pressed save but the game halts afterwards and nothing has been saved as far as I can tell.

Sorry for such a newbie

Old 07 November 2002, 08:22   #5
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Hmmm, I tried to save the game using original disk images with WHDLoad, but the screen went red and didn't do much. Then when I tried to load the emulation quit. Maybe it doesn't work well under WinUAE - WHDLoad is primarily designed for really Amigas.
Old 07 November 2002, 08:44   #6
DrGrieve

Thx for your help. I'll move on to something else.

Maybe you can send the orginals to a winaue tester and see if they can get the saving debugged.

I've read some threads where they've fixed up some emulation bugs.

Cheers,

Old 07 November 2002, 09:12   #7
oldpx

I found this on back to the roots website for this game

http://www.back2roots.org/Games/Savedisks/C/

It is explained that the original save menu won't work. If it still fails, give winUAE's "save memory state" function a try.

Last edited by Burseg; 07 November 2002 at 09:49.

Old 07 November 2002, 09:34   #8
DrGrieve

Ah its not a save game disk per se but an explanation saying the save menu doesn;t work. But duh we know that.

I've tried the save state thing (in my first post) but after reloading the save state you cannot enter the battleground anymore.

Maybe this part can be fixed by someone? Who would I send a message to?

Cheers,

Old 11 November 2002, 21:27   #9
LordIvo

Smile How to save game in Celtic Legends

I've solved this problem a couple months ago and here is what you have to do:

1. Originally I used WinUAE 0.8.15 Beta 3 (JIT), but now get latest 0.8.22r1

2. Due the fact that save disk routine doesn't use standard amiga disk format you have to create "custom" floppy under WinUAE disk properties panel ~ 1.93 MB

3. Disable ALL external drives, set disk speed to "turbo" or saving will take forever!

4. Game saves only to DF0 and disk management is VERY dodgy so don't leave there any game disk before you going to save or you're in trouble...

5. Use "Skid Row" version and it should works 100% as mine!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	g1360[1].png
Views:	494
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	4031  

Last edited by LordIvo; 11 November 2002 at 21:55.
Old 13 November 2002, 00:02   #10
DrGrieve

Thx LordIvo. I followed your instructions and it works now.

Custom Floppy is the key.

Cheers.

Old 13 November 2002, 00:15   #11
oldpx

Yes, thanks. That's a solid solution.

This game is hard as hell but I swear I could play it better when I were 15

BTW, I prefer Celtic Legends over Heroes of Might and Magic IV! If there are any fans of HOMM games on eab, then give this one a try.

Old 14 November 2002, 14:07   #12
LordIvo

Quote:
This game is hard as hell but I swear I could play it better when I were 15
You're absolutely right -- game is extremely difficult even after a couple of first islands and unfortunately it hasn't got selectable difficulty so you can not switch to "easy" mode when you stuck...

I'm still a huge fan of HOMM series and Celtic Legends is in my opinion much harder to play with very basic game elements but it has some kind of "mysterious" feel that makes it very special...
Old 14 November 2002, 14:59   #13
oldpx

I like Heroes 2 and 3 a lot, and even Might and Magic VI, the RPG but I didn't like anything 3do released after Heroes 3 and it's expansions

Old 14 November 2002, 15:08   #14
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Forget all these fancy games and go for King's Bounty - it's the best!