English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 23 November 2008, 08:29   #1
drHirudo
Amiga user

Post Games that are better/worse on the Sega MegaDrive.

Hello,
since several weeks I play Sega Mega Drive games, after finally getting working emulator with Joypad support on my AmigaOne - DGen. I played mostly the Sega exclusive games Streets of Rage 1, 2 and 3, but after completed them I switched to known titles from the Amiga. I played Turrican to the end, but didn't like it much on the MegaDrive. It's terribly hard, next to impossible to play at some leves. May be the gamers whined about the Turrican being too easy on the Amiga so they made it very hard on the Sega Mega Drive. Also I like the colors more on the Amiga.

Universal Soldier on the Mega Drive which is the Turrican II in disguise is much more playable.

After completing Turrican I now play Addams Family. To my surprise it is much better on the Sega Mega Drive than on the Amiga - there are background graphics, which are omitted on the Amiga version. The hints are scrolled, while on the Amiga are simply displayed. Also there are weapons on the Sega Mega Drive, which spice the gameplay and make it somewhat easier, but still interesting.

Shadow of The Beast - from memory - on the Mega Drive it is much easier, but I didn't like the music there.

Alladin - On the Amiga it had much better intro music, while the rest is the same on the Amiga 1200.

Is any other Amiga gamer finding Amiga game titles better (or worse) on the Mega Drive, than on the Amiga?

Many people are comparing C64/Amiga games, but I think because the Sega had much closer capabilities to the Amiga, it is more fair to compare Amiga, Atari ST and Sega Mega Drive games (They all come from middle 1980ies era and have 68000 CPU).

Which makes me wonder, why they made Alladin A1200 only, but not for A500. And no Atari version. Probably because of the too many sprites, which the FAT AGNUS could hardly handle without the help of raw CPU power. But it was possible on the Falcon.

P.S. I am not entirely new to this forum (I have 1 unregistered post before)
Old 23 November 2008, 08:47   #2
s2325
Zone Friend

Forgotten Worlds is better on MegaDrive than on Amiga.
Old 23 November 2008, 10:02   #3
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by drHirudo View Post
Universal Soldier on the Mega Drive which is the Turrican II in disguise is much more playable.
Universal Soldier has the worser level design, music and graphics. The only thing that might be better are the controls. So for me Turrican 2 is the winner
Old 23 November 2008, 10:09   #4
drHirudo
Amiga user

Turrican 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Universal Soldier has the worser level design, music and graphics. The only thing that might be better are the controls. So for me Turrican 2 is the winner
I meant much more playable than Turrican on the Mega Drive. Sure winner is Turrican 2 on Amiga, played with Sega Pad with 2 buttons
Old 23 November 2008, 10:43   #5
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Ah okay, now I see
Old 23 November 2008, 10:55   #6
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Golden Axe:

Much better controls on the Mega Drive

Turrican:

Horrible Mega Drive version, probably the worst port of all. Nearly unplayable.

Aladdin:

It's a good port from the MD, but sadly no 50 FPS.

Desert Strike:

is smoother (scrolling/controls) on a A1200.

Strider:

Better in every catergory on the MD.

Nearly all Sega arcade ports like Afterburner, Space Harrier, etc. are better on the MD.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 23 November 2008 at 11:07.
Old 23 November 2008, 11:10   #7
StarEye
Zone Friend

How was Super Hang-On on the Amiga compared to on the Megadrive?
Old 23 November 2008, 11:13   #8
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarEye View Post
Worse Also Road Rash is better in the MD.

Altered Beast is another example of a failed conversion for the Amiga.
Old 23 November 2008, 11:13   #9
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarEye View Post
Very good. The Mega Drive version has slightly improved graphics and an extra game mode. But i still prefer the Amiga port with the perfect mouse control.
Old 23 November 2008, 11:20   #10
StarEye
Zone Friend

Quote:

Altered Beast was horrible on any format, the Megadrive as well. The Amiga version might have been even worse, but it still wasn't a very good game on the Megadrive either.

And yes, I remember Super Hang-On now, with mouse-control. Better on the Amiga because of that, but it would be nice to see an AGA version to get improved graphics as well.
Old 23 November 2008, 11:28   #11
drHirudo
Amiga user

Quote:
Worse
I like the music on the Amiga more.
Quote:
Also Road Rash is better in the MD.

Altered Beast on the Amiga looks like a ST port to me. Of course Sega always made the best games on their hardware and the ports done by third parties were much crapier than the original, probably relying only on the name to sell.

Road Rash on the Amiga sucked a lot. Street Fighter on the Mega Drive is one of the best, on the Amiga it is cripled and not that playable.
Old 23 November 2008, 12:16   #12
spiff
Oh noes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Nearly all Sega arcade ports like Afterburner, Space Harrier, etc. are better on the MD.
Very true..the list goes on with thunderblade, galaxyforce, bad dudes, street fighter 2 (and extras). Most games that are converted from another system are better on MD, unless its a port from amiga like lemmings or battle squadron.

As for comparing desertstrike on a1200, you might as well then add the sega CD (crap as it was) it had even more conversions that were spot on.
Old 23 November 2008, 12:25   #13
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff View Post
Very true..the list goes on with thunderblade, galaxyforce, bad dudes, street fighter 2 (and extras).
But also very true and funny imho:

Sega ports like Afterburner, Space Harrier, Outrun and some more are better on the PC-Engine.
Old 23 November 2008, 12:32   #14
Etze
A3000-Fan

Mega Drive has a bad Sound-Chip, Paula produced way better sounds. So I do like Sensible Soccer and Lotus better on Amiga - much better sounds.
Old 23 November 2008, 15:09   #15
s2325
Zone Friend

Yes, Lotus 1 & 2 on MegaDrive have very poor sound.
Old 23 November 2008, 18:32   #16
kamelito
Zone Friend

Any list of Amiga games available on the MD/Genesis ?

Hi,

Do there's such list, because of name changed in some games, I'm not able to find them all, I've downloaded most of the one I like on the Amiga,why that, well I've a GP2X and its a lot faster better than UAE.

Thanks
Kamel

PS I like very much Jim Power on the Megadrive! Very good sounds and musics !

>Is any other Amiga gamer finding Amiga game titles better (or worse) on the >Mega Drive, than on the Amiga?
Old 23 November 2008, 21:25   #17
spiff
Oh noes!

http://hol.abime.net/hol_search.php?N_ref_conversion=8

Well there's HOL... which is kinda half the trough.
Old 23 November 2008, 23:49   #18
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Megadrive Out Run is the main one i play. i find other 'better' megadrive games few-and-far between myself, although that may just be that computers over consoles suit the types of games i like.
Old 24 November 2008, 02:19   #19
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Flash Back
with respect to the sound being superior on the Amiga, I throughly loved the Mega Drive version; a great job fitting all that on a single cart with all the animations / cut scenes.

Cool Spot
Personally i loath the game, and again it suffed with poor quality sound, BUT it did a better fluidity of movement, thus making it more playable.

Dune II: Battle for Arakkis
Now I love this game on the Miggy, but taking into account the limmitations of the MegaDrive, its an astonding game... very quick and fluid play, sound is again poor, BUT i feel its a better game on the MD

Cannon Fodder
Now i can see mr getting strung up here... now the music is poorer quality but I have to say it has GREAT game play... alas this is with an analouge stick, if you dont have that, then this game sufferes in the dumdroms of dispair!
Old 24 November 2008, 03:44   #20
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

3 of 4 get "boo"s from me Mr Zetr0! certainly with not using a mouse on CF or Dune2 ! (although i admit, an analogue stick will often suffice)

i cant say i've ever bothered playing Cool Spot.