English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 03 May 2015, 21:47   #1
source
Zone Friend

list of amiga compatible printers

I have been having some trouble finding printers that still print with the Amiga. I don't think that I am alone.
I was wondering if the community would list the types of printers that they use on the Amiga so as to create a reference list for others who are wanting to buy an Amiga compatible printer.
I am currently using

Brother 5470 DW Monochrome laser
Laserjet 200 pro color laser (but I have only been able to get it to print in Monochorme)
I had a hp officejet 8500 that was a color injet that would print in color.

Please list the printers that you are using with an Amiga
Old 04 May 2015, 05:49   #2
Sandro
Banned

basically the amiga supported printers are the ones supported by Turboprint last version

http://www.irseesoft.de/tp_drive7.htm
Old 04 May 2015, 17:20   #3
source
Zone Friend

I realize, but some of the new printers will work with the old drivers - The 7960 HP photosmart printer will print with the 7500 series drivers, The officejet 8500 would print with the photosmart driver as well. The Brother 5470 will print using an HP laserjet 6 driver as well as the laserjet 200 pro (but will only print in monochrome).

My idea was for people to list the printers that they are using through turboprint and what drivers they are using them under. for both the real hardware or under emulation with WinUAE.

I just thought it would be a good reference for people who are going out to buy a new printer to see if there is a list of new compatible printers available.
I can't personally test every printer out there. I doubt that I am the only one still printing with an amiga.
Old 05 May 2015, 06:56   #4
Sandro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
I doubt that I am the only one still printing with an amiga.
it seems you are the only one because printing with the Amiga sucks

I Don't know what are you printing but I recommend you to print on windows and forget about difficult things
Old 05 May 2015, 07:23   #5
ptyerman

You are wrong. I also print from the Amiga over a network using a PCL3 compatible laser printer. If you find printing from a Amiga difficult, perhaps you should give up!
Old 05 May 2015, 08:59   #6
mikey2002kent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandro View Post

I Don't know what are you printing but I recommend you to print on windows and forget about difficult things
Rubbish

I use a star NL-10 dot matrix and before that a Brother M1709 A3 Dot Matrix Printer.

Both still work fine and print from my Amiga Regularly.
Old 05 May 2015, 10:13   #7
squidbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptyerman View Post
You are wrong. I also print from the Amiga over a network using a PCL3 compatible laser printer. If you find printing from a Amiga difficult, perhaps you should give up!

Perhaps you should tell us how you are achieving this - I for one would be interested.

s.
Old 05 May 2015, 16:54   #8
Zippy Zapp

Quote:

Difficult things to print with the Amiga?

He is not the only one. Your comment is helpful how?

I have a samsung laser that is compatible with HP laserjet that also works. Not hard. There are also plenty of old Dot Matrix printers that are still sold that work too. Okidata comes to mind. Still used in car dealerships.
Old 05 May 2015, 17:10   #9
Sandro
Banned

Quote:

I meant obsolete instead difficult
ie my epson C83 works with turboprint, but the photo quality of printing is lame if you compare when printing in windows

and all printer works 3x slower than on PC due Amiga hardware limitations: slow parallel port/ buggy USB

the only good side is that the program "graphics publisher" by Turboprint package is very good
Old 05 May 2015, 18:31   #10
ptyerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidbass View Post
Perhaps you should tell us how you are achieving this - I for one would be interested.

s.
I just use a program called NetPrinter, it can use the native Amiga drivers or Turbo Print if it is installed. It intercepts the parallel port and redirects the print over the network. It is on Aminet I think, if not just type network printing on Amiga in a search box, that's how I found out about it.
Old 05 May 2015, 19:03   #11
ptyerman

Quote:
I meant obsolete instead difficult
ie my epson C83 works with turboprint, but the photo quality of printing is lame if you compare when printing in windows

and all printer works 3x slower than on PC due Amiga hardware limitations: slow parallel port/ buggy USB

the only good side is that the program "graphics publisher" by Turboprint package is very good
So stick to Windows then if that's what your happy with and run your Amiga stuff in WinUAE, that way you can use any printer connected to your PC.
As for it been slower, I don't get that here, the Amiga prints just as fast as my numerous PC's. That's over the network though, I don't know about parallel port, but then again, how many PC's these days even have a parallel port? Or Amiga's have USB?
I don't use Turbo Print so can't comment.
A list of printers with compatible drivers which is what the OP asked for is a useful topic to pursue. You don't use Amiga's to print with, so you don't have to comment unless you have something useful to add.
Old 05 May 2015, 19:58   #12
gazj82

Might have to have a look at netprinter. I guess it won't work with a USB network printer. I always thought it would be good if you could print to a windows print queue somehow and have windows / linux do any conversion needed to print on modern printers. Not sure if there is anything put there that does this?
Old 05 May 2015, 20:15   #13
Nosferax

According to wiki:

Quote:
"TurboPrint is a closed source printer driver system for Linux, AmigaOS and MorphOS. It supports a number of printers that don't yet have a free driver, and fuller printer functionality on some printer models. In recent versions, it integrates with the CUPS printing system."
If it does integrate with CUPS then shouldn't you be able to print to a printer shared on a Linux box?
Old 05 May 2015, 21:55   #14
Sandro
Banned

Quote:
So stick to Windows then if that's what your happy with and run your Amiga stuff in WinUAE, that way you can use any printer connected to your PC.
As for it been slower, I don't get that here, the Amiga prints just as fast as my numerous PC's. That's over the network though, I don't know about parallel port, but then again, how many PC's these days even have a parallel port? Or Amiga's have USB?
I don't use Turbo Print so can't comment.
A list of printers with compatible drivers which is what the OP asked for is a useful topic to pursue. You don't use Amiga's to print with, so you don't have to comment unless you have something useful to add.
if you never used turboprint what kind of printing experience in the Amiga you have? :zero

and the list which OP was looking for : I was the first one that replied correctly
Old 05 May 2015, 22:50   #15
ptyerman

I didn't say I never used it, I said I don't use it. And if someone doesn't use Turbo Print it means they have zero Amiga printing experience? That just proves your trolling. Now go away until you have something useful to add.
NetPrinter should work with Windows and Linux connected printers but I have had no need to try this, (my laser printer is a network printer with its own print server and plugs straight into the router). You just set NetPrinter up to print to a static IP address and it sends all print jobs to that network address. If Windows or Linux is set up as a print server, it should spool it to a connected printer. Likewise for a router connected printer I should imagine.
NetPrinter is a very versatile program that can be configured with numerable options, just make sure you read the included docs about the options that interest you.
Old 08 May 2015, 15:44   #16
jPV

I have Lexmark E342n monochrome network laser printer and it works just fine with lpr.device or netprinter.device on all my networked Amigas (from A1200 setups to MorphOS systems) with Turboprint's HP_LaserJet5series driver.

I've printed fine from FinalWriter, PageStream, CEd, APDF etc on my A1200 for example.

I think any good laser printer should work if it has proper emulations and isn't el cheapo Windows only model.
Old 08 May 2015, 16:19   #17
ptyerman

Yeah, any PCL3 compatible laser printer will work with the LaserJet driver, which means almost all of them, even the latest one's are backwards compatible with PCL3. Colour printers are the problem, even if PCL3 compliant. The LaserJet driver only supports monochrome printing and won't output in colour even if the printer is a colour one. I don't currently have a colour printer to experiment with except my 6x4 photo printer, but if I pick one up from somewhere I will try a few things out, and if successful report here.
Old 22 August 2015, 15:03   #18
source
Zone Friend

I have tried my LaserJet 200 color printer and now have it working in full color from the amiga through postscript.
Old 22 August 2015, 21:08   #19
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I used to have Star LC-20 with my Amiga, it worked fine, but I hated dot matrix printers noise.
Old 23 August 2015, 05:28   #20
ptyerman

Currently using a Kyocera Ecosys FS-1020D monochrome network printer. It works fine with the Amiga LaserJet driver and NetPrinter to print over the network.