English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 01 June 2003, 21:21   #1
one1

Anywhere I can buy a NEW Amiga 500 or 600?

I would like to know if there is anywhere i Can buy a new Amiga 500 or 600.

Thanks.
Old 03 June 2003, 17:33   #2
Syko
Now got GSX750F :))

try Vintage Computers they have all sorts.
Old 03 June 2003, 18:08   #3
IFW

Now that is a site really worth to be reported to anti-piracy organizations, instead of harmless Amiga sites:

http://www.vintagecomputer.co.uk/CPS...idCategory=106

Very disgusting, making money from other people's IP and the work of emulator authors and dumpers...
Old 03 June 2003, 18:11   #4
Paul
RIP Friends

:eek
Old 03 June 2003, 18:15   #5
Syko
Now got GSX750F :))

It would appear they've changed somewhat since my last visit to their site
Old 03 June 2003, 18:28   #6
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

it'll be disks full of CAPS games next
Old 03 June 2003, 21:44   #7
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
I can see people paying that amount for all the roms on dvd if they are on dialup.

I personally wouldnt sell cd/dvd of roms, but to people who cant d/l them because of slow internet and dont know anybody who can copy them this is the cheapest way to go.
Old 03 June 2003, 22:23   #8
Vintagecomputer

Im sorry to here that you find it disgusting, but i see it as offering a choice to the dial up users (such as me)

I buy the dvd's myself and sell them at a small profit, do you really expect me to provide a service for free???

I dont burn the dvd's myself because i dont sell enough to justify it, selling possibly 1 or 2 a week.

If you want to report me then thats your choice, but when you do, obviously the dial up users will have to do without, thats unless you are offering to burn the dvd's for them for free?

Lee

Old 03 June 2003, 23:07   #9
IFW

Unfortunately it is not that simple, just "helping dialup users." Every people who sell roms and/or disk images claims the exact very same thing...
I was on dialup and I could and can live without having all the r0mz in the galaxy... Learn to live with it, or if you need it that badly download it. Especially most countries give a flat rate or monthly fee only on dialup, my country is ppm for both net and local calls (.net), but your country is not.

So long money exchanges hand, you are doing it for profit.
You are also giving a very valid reason for organizations against emulation to strike at innocent emulation sites.

What do you think is going to happen with your cds and dvds...? Sooner or later they will end up at hmvs, carboot sales etc, and sooner or later they will be the prime suspects of organizations against software theft.

There has been many crusades against emulation in the past - that you may not be aware of - and you are just attracting one more coming.

When you sell these materials you are selling someone else's Intellectual Property.
While many companies - or the companies owning the IP by now -do not care much about this, rest assured they do care when they sell their IP on mass produced media even for a penny of profit.

It is especially dangerous for you, since you are not even doing it by person, but through your company, that is especially - and rightly! - known to piss of the real owners of the copyrighted material.

Also you may want to read the licenses coming with the emulators - you are breaking all of them, so expect the authors to be pissed by your actions as well.

Trust me, you don't want to mess - especially not in the UK! - with companies like Nintendo (SNES roms), arcade operators (e.g. Capcom, Hanaho), members of IDSA (Electronic Arts UK, etc), you are on the loose right from the beginning.

Since you say you are only selling a few disks a week, you might as well stop doing it before its too late.
Old 04 June 2003, 00:26   #10
Vintagecomputer

You will be pleased to know ive now removed them, although if it wasnt for people reporting sites like mine then the copyright owners would be non the wiser.

I would understand you wanting to report me if i were selling xbox,playstation games which are still being sold, but old games such as these is beyond belief.

What i was doing and you are still doing are both equally illegal, the only difference was i was making a profit, which you obviously dont like.

No emulation site is innocent, but it wouldn't even cross my mind to report them as they are harmless, such as what i was doing was harmless.

Do you report everything you think is wrong, or just things that interfere with your own interests?

Lee

Old 04 June 2003, 00:44   #11
IFW

Thank you for removing them.

I am not going to discuss about old or new games with you, since it is evident that you did not understand what I was talking about.
Unfortunately the law does not differentiate between old and new software - hopefully this is going to change someday. You can see from this comment which side I take on this matter.

However all that you could see is that my remark about a company like yours selling disk images for profit is more worthy of reporting to authorities, than harmless Amiga sites.
I stand for it.
Many people report those Amiga sites to anti-piracy authorities, for the pure satisfaction of getting revenge for something, or thinking along other possibly twisted lines of logic.
I am not a "copyright zealot" - despite being a games' author and holding copyright for some games - everyone knows that here.
Therefore I don't report anyone to anti-piracy organizations even though many people are breaching my very own copyrights.
I just turn a blind eye for that and trust me I could do something completely different.

But I am strictly against any action that may bring yet another anti-emulation crusade to the communities, be it Amiga, SNES or MAME.

Thank you.
Old 04 June 2003, 01:09   #12
Vintagecomputer

Just out of interest, what exactly could you do, and would it be cost effective to stop your games from being copied and sold?

Please dont take the above question the wrong way, as you say you turn a blind eye. I am honestly interested if anybody would take anyone to court, obviously nintendo,sega would, but what could someone such as you do about one of your games?

Lee

Old 04 June 2003, 01:36   #13
IFW

Yes, anyone could take you to court.
Once someone does that your business is basically ruined, regardless of the outcome of the event.
If anyone does that it is not about cost effectiveness, but defending personal and/or company interest.
Copyright violations are taken very seriously regardless of the infringing material.
The first things that would happen is your domain and site blocked. Your company fined by your ISP for whatever fine you have signed for when ordered/signed their SLA. Check your contract. The amount of fees payable to your ISP for damages far exceed your expectation.
Next thing depends on how the proceeding goes. (you are already in a deep financial hole by this time by your ISP contract).
Your case can be taken by IDSA or any other such organization for free, just they can have an easy target, unlike ***** sites.
Depending on your country you may be charged with federal crimes, that is how it goes in the US. You don't want the FBI to knock on your door. While they go for individuals for the principle, they will go for companies - no matter how small - for the full effect of law.
In the UK they may have some difficulties, but there are FBI agencies all over the world, that would "help" the local authorities, with both the legal proceedings and the criminal charges. Since you are running a company, you are a very "easy target" and thus your case is lost from the beginning - unless your bank account has millions of pounds for extremely good lawyers - in order to avoid imprisonment starting quite often from 5 years, but you will still have to pay an incredible sum for damages. If you are not that rich, you go to prison, and pay your debt till the end of your life. (so much for equal rights for all )
If you do it by person, that is a slightly different matter... but if you sell the stuff claiming you did not know what is on them, you are still facing quite some charges and trouble, not worth the hassle.
If you really want to help people to get the goods just run a private ftp etc. (if you charge for it you are likely to be busted sooner or later, there are "mole" users all over the net that help to find and bust those sites)
Basically they will ruin their business, and quite possibly your life for many years to come, so you are doing a favour for yourself if you stay away from them.

For a nice example of things you don't want to come to yourself or your business:
http://www.isonews.com/

...and that is just a "news" site.
Old 04 June 2003, 01:51   #14
Vintagecomputer

Sounds pretty harsh!!!, rapists wouldnt get that sort of punishment.

I would have thought i would get a written warning first to remove the games before any court action would be taken, especially with the software being no longer available for sale in its original format?...maybe not.

Anyway, i suppose its not worth the risk, sadly about 70% of search engine links come to our site looking for roms/emulation, inwhich a percentage of them actually buy original hardware/software.

Without the visitors, our site would suffer greatly anyway, and there arnt many sites like ours around to keep the vintage computer stuff going.

Old 04 June 2003, 01:58   #15
IFW

I think many people wouldn't mind if you "advertise" here or other sites, if you do it decently, without the fanfare - but I may be wrong so better wait for other replies.
We are your likely customers anyway.
Also for Amiga goods try to post to comp.sys.amiga.marketplace. etc., but do not post to specialized groups where adverts are prohibited, as you may be very unwelcome...
Old 04 June 2003, 02:02   #16
IFW

Quote:
Originally posted by Vintagecomputer
Sounds pretty harsh!!!, rapists wouldnt get that sort of punishment.
Yes, that is pretty unfair imho as well, but this is mostly due to business organzations like BSA, IDSA, RIAA, etc lobbying laws that would not ever see the light of day without their "help" and most notably... funding (bribing etc, take as you wish).
Old 04 June 2003, 02:14   #17
Vintagecomputer

Yeah, advertising in forums may get some visitors and maybe buyers but those adverts are very short lived, maybe lasting a couple of days or so due to the forum posts being pushed out of view.

Had 25 visitors from this forum today :-), but no amiga dvd sales :-(...lol

Old 04 June 2003, 02:27   #18
IFW

No wonder.. people will not pay for game collections here, unless they are authorized.
But they will buy your Amiga equipment, or any ohter interesting vintage material you have.
Old 04 June 2003, 02:33   #19
Vintagecomputer

Just joking about selling an amiga dvd from here...it would be like selling a copy of windows to Bill Gates :-)

Old 04 June 2003, 02:36   #20
IFW

You can try that, just convince him about all the new features you've added