English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 12 October 2018, 00:54   #3681
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenppc View Post
Ok, I can confirm now the IDE is not working. Same behaviour as described by Stephen: blinking led and then lockup
Thanks Alen. Thats useful intel. I will work on the issue at the weekend. Its utterly repeatable.
Old 12 October 2018, 00:59   #3682
hooleydog

Steven.. Please wake up LOL. Do you have the BOM and firmware for this board Please (Amiga)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TerribleFire 520.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	404.4 KB
ID:	60220  
Old 12 October 2018, 01:48   #3683
project23
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooleydog View Post
Steven.. Please wake up LOL. Do you have the BOM and firmware for this board Please (Amiga)
https://github.com/FreyaAmiga/tf520

Third result on google (TerribleFire 68020). I doubt you'll get support, or at least not much, but if you're not so hot with an iron (hah! pun not intended) then i dunno maybe its a good way in.

It was a trial project so that Stephen could get to grips with the bus arbitration etc iirc.

Watch his videos, take the time to learn how this stuff works. Don't just slap something together and hope for the best.

I know i sound harsh, but a huge part of this open development stuff is learning to do it for yourself. Sure, ask for help, but try to be resourceful and find the answers yourself, ya know?

Good luck dude. Also yes the TF520 is a an accelerator with an 020 for the 500, but no fastram, so pretty useless really.

John

EDIT: Also, you realise it's ten to one in the morning, right? Instead of asking him to wake up, you could have googled terriblefire 68020 - jut saying.
Old 12 October 2018, 02:06   #3684
hooleydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by project23 View Post
https://github.com/FreyaAmiga/tf520

Third result on google (TerribleFire 68020). I doubt you'll get support, or at least not much, but if you're not so hot with an iron (hah! pun not intended) then i dunno maybe its a good way in.

It was a trial project so that Stephen could get to grips with the bus arbitration etc iirc.

Watch his videos, take the time to learn how this stuff works. Don't just slap something together and hope for the best.

I know i sound harsh, but a huge part of this open development stuff is learning to do it for yourself. Sure, ask for help, but try to be resourceful and find the answers yourself, ya know?

Good luck dude. Also yes the TF520 is a an accelerator with an 020 for the 500, but no fastram, so pretty useless really.

John

EDIT: Also, you realise it's ten to one in the morning, right? Instead of asking him to wake up, you could have googled terriblefire 68020 - jut saying.

I plan on using it with a MKL 68K IDE board which has 8MB of Fast ram on it too (It's his new version of the board), and the size of the board is no bigger than the length of the CPU socket (Nice and small).. I plan on putting it inside my 500+, (My A2000 has a 030 board in it) as for "Not hot with a soldering iron". Working with P.C.B's (Building them, soldering, and using a flow wave solder machine was my job for years), so I can solder can you LOL.. I did find that address But was wondering why it says Atari there.. (It's 8PM here by the way), so in the end it ain't a useless board. Because no IDE or fast ram, unless it's fitted with a MKL 68K IDE board on it (With fast ram), so in a nut shell your being a bit too harsh on the wrong person (I don't need to learn anything)... No Pun intended..

Oh, There's no BOM there...Do you have one "For this useless board"..

EDIT: I didn't ask him to wake up and get out of bed.. He was here as I typed...

Last edited by hooleydog; 12 October 2018 at 04:40.
Old 12 October 2018, 03:24   #3685
EzdineG

Save yourself the trouble.

The TF520/MKL RAM combo will be no faster than just leaving the 68000 in place.
Old 12 October 2018, 03:47   #3686
hooleydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzdineG View Post

How come.. The 020 board with a IDE/RAM board has to faster than a 68000 with just the IDE/Ram board, or am I missing something here (The TF520 board is slower than the 68000)..

Last edited by hooleydog; 12 October 2018 at 04:08.
Old 12 October 2018, 05:10   #3687
EzdineG

The majority of your gains with the 68020 will be the result of 32-bit access to the RAM by the processor.

In that configuration, all of your RAM will be on the slow 16-bit Amiga bus. The processor will essentially have access at the same speed the 68000 would.
Old 12 October 2018, 05:12   #3688
hooleydog

Quote:
The majority of your gains with the 68020 will be the result of 32-bit access to the RAM by the processor.

In that configuration, all of your RAM will be on the slow 16-bit Amiga bus. The processor will essentially have access at the same speed the 68000 would.

Oh Ok I see now.... Though would external ram be better then....
Old 12 October 2018, 08:56   #3689
plasmab
Banned

I took the TF520 off my GitHub because it’s pointless for anyone except me debugging bus signals. Don’t build it. Use it to put your mug on.
Old 12 October 2018, 10:22   #3690
supaduper

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmab View Post
Not unless someone has hacked my laptop. Even I have a tough time finding them on my own machine.

The only board that was shared and not built was one I gave Mark (supaduper). He's perfectly entitled to sell it but anyone building it will get zero support from me.
Still have it Steve , I will not sell it bud it stays within the club
Old 12 October 2018, 10:22   #3691
Clad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Bit Dreams View Post
Or You cat try to ask Clad, he has seen someone is selling them on Ebay...

Err... what ?

I just asked if it would be a better fit for the A2000 (as in, wait until it's available vs using a TF530 now) as the discussion was about how the TF530 is currently not a perfect fit for the 2000. I certainly never mentionned ebay, the last time I bought anything through them was at least 15 years ago, I'd have a tough time even remembering my login.

As a matter of fact, if I was to buy a TF534, you'd be the first person I'd ask.

Sorry if there was any misunderstanding.
Old 12 October 2018, 10:29   #3692
utri007
mä vaan

Quote:

Why not? Supra turbo plugs CPU socket in A500 and slot A2000 and get nice speedup with fast ram sidecar or Zorro II ram card.
Old 12 October 2018, 10:47   #3693
britelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by utri007 View Post
Why not? Supra turbo plugs CPU socket in A500 and slot A2000 and get nice speedup with fast ram sidecar or Zorro II ram card.
Supraturbo is 68000-based, so the 16bit memory bus isn't a bottleneck for it. To be able to use a 020 to it's full potential you need 32bit memory connected to it.
Old 12 October 2018, 10:52   #3694
utri007
mä vaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by britelite View Post
Supraturbo is 68000-based, so the 16bit memory bus isn't a bottleneck for it. To be able to use a 020 to it's full potential you need 32bit memory connected to it.
OK, I understand. Though 16bit fast ram is better than no fast ram at all.

TF520 might be only possible availlable accelerator for CDTV, that why I'm interested.
Old 12 October 2018, 12:42   #3695
plasmab
Banned

Terrible Fire Accelerators

Quote:
Originally Posted by utri007 View Post
OK, I understand. Though 16bit fast ram is better than no fast ram at all.

TF520 might be only possible availlable accelerator for CDTV, that why I'm interested.

If I had time I’d look at the CDTV... but I would need to be able to buy one for sensible money. Neither seem likely

EDIT: sensible would be circa 200 quid.
Old 12 October 2018, 13:30   #3696
project23
Used Register

Quote:
so in a nut shell your being a bit too harsh on the wrong person (I don't need to learn anything)... No Pun intended..
I'm genuinely sorry here dude, I was confusing you with a guy a few pages back that having built the 530 simply gave up. I guess I assumed that guy then wanted to try the 520 as its simpler.

I'm sure you can solder much better than me

Quote:
EDIT: I didn't ask him to wake up and get out of bed.. He was here as I typed...
I get that, sort of. You did say 'wake up' though, and it was mid-week, close to 1am, and from every one of his posts you can see he's in Glasgow. Maybe he went to bed with the forum logged in. A lot of people do.

I get a bit hasty of late with my responses when people make demands of project leaders, as I've seen what it can do to them and their willingness to remain in the community. Not saying you're one of those types at all - i'd just come out of a similar flame war in another thread you may have seen. Maybe its time to take a step back and not be so hasty, after all nobody asked me to. I just try to show the often so much quieter good side of the community.

No hard feelings eh.

(Still though, the 520?!)

John
Old 12 October 2018, 15:13   #3697
alenppc

The 534 also doesn't like the 50 Mhz clock. It worked fine at 40 for me, but 50 produces this, see pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	534-50.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	60227  
Old 12 October 2018, 15:27   #3698
hooleydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by project23 View Post
I'm genuinely sorry here dude, I was confusing you with a guy a few pages back that having built the 530 simply gave up. I guess I assumed that guy then wanted to try the 520 as its simpler.

I'm sure you can solder much better than me

I get that, sort of. You did say 'wake up' though, and it was mid-week, close to 1am, and from every one of his posts you can see he's in Glasgow. Maybe he went to bed with the forum logged in. A lot of people do.

I get a bit hasty of late with my responses when people make demands of project leaders, as I've seen what it can do to them and their willingness to remain in the community. Not saying you're one of those types at all - i'd just come out of a similar flame war in another thread you may have seen. Maybe its time to take a step back and not be so hasty, after all nobody asked me to. I just try to show the often so much quieter good side of the community.

No hard feelings eh.

(Still though, the 520?!)

John

Nope No hard feelings eh???
Old 12 October 2018, 15:29   #3699
hooleydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmab View Post
I took the TF520 off my GitHub because it’s pointless for anyone except me debugging bus signals. Don’t build it. Use it to put your mug on.

Ok will do Steve, but I sure would like a parts list please (Begging in my knees).. That's all I ask... But it's a shame that the T530 only had 2MB of fast ram on it (4Mb would better), and if I add more ram then the extra ram on the side slot. It's still only 16bit memory.... Don't get me wrong..It's still a great board though (Not complaining)..

Last edited by hooleydog; 12 October 2018 at 15:46.
Old 12 October 2018, 16:05   #3700
project23
Used Register

Quote:
Ok will do Steve, but I sure would like a parts list please (Begging in my knees).. That's all I ask... But it's a shame that the T530 only had 2MB of fast ram on it (4Mb would better), and if I add more ram then the extra ram on the side slot. It's still only 16bit memory.... Don't get me wrong..It's still a great board though (Not complaining)..
If you google around there is a 4mb hack that isn't difficult to do, but requires a different firmware (or modification yourself).

I doubt you'll get support here for that mod though. TF only tends to support the stuff he designs and the PCB's he sells.

EDIT: Here is the link to the gallery of the guy who did a 4mb mod to a 530. I don't have any information on the modification myself or where to find the necessary firmware. Google is your friend, as they say.

John

Forgot to add the bloody link, its there now.

Last edited by project23; 12 October 2018 at 16:13.