English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General > Coders. Releases

Old 10 July 2018, 17:57   #1
Cowcat

Smokin'Guns

Some western?

Warpos version for now.

Needs the older 1.0 files from SmokinGuns website: The newer ones (1.1) has problems detected as other mods out there + complete mess trying to integrate latest code with my stuff.

Kinda slow (more than OpenArena) and some level give some alloc error, but can be somewhat playable if you switch off effects, use vertexlight, etc.

Installation: A simple dir with the exec and both "baseq3/ smokinguns/" from 1.0 package dirs in it. A q3config can be copied from an already Amiga Quake3 game.

Game needs some extra keys to be chosen from menu for reloading guns, open doors, etc.

SmokinGuns 1.0 : Started yesterday.
SmokinGuns 1.1 : Weeks & weeks and counting

Last edited by Cowcat; 10 August 2018 at 21:48.
Old 11 July 2018, 03:52   #2
grelbfarlk

So awesome.... I'll try it tomorrow.

It runs pretty well, seems to me faster than Openarena.

Last edited by grelbfarlk; 11 July 2018 at 13:22.
Old 11 July 2018, 13:59   #3
Cowcat

Quote:
It runs pretty well, seems to me faster than Openarena.
If it runs OK, mission acomplished. By the way OpenArena version was done before JIT code was released for Q3 version....

Now, some levels are pretty hard to render and go around 10 FPS on my system so .... could be a game to try some optimizations as some stuff I tried with regular Q3 didn't show any special improvement.

Some tip: If you change system values (gfx/sound) that makes the engine re-start doing the "ugly gfx mess", just blindy switch to console (~ key) and type "quit" (+ enter key), game closes and values got saved, but as always could be some memory problems lurking after that.

Added also "sys_nostdout" command for see what's going on if you start the game from a shell. Default value is "1" (disabled output). Don't know if it's really working with normal Amigas.
Old 12 July 2018, 00:20   #4
grelbfarlk

What maps are slow? I haven't tried very many since I start a game then keep playing that map nonstop for a long time.
Old 12 July 2018, 01:48   #5
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
The AmigaOS4 version runs slowly even on my AmigaOne X1000. Cowcat, have you collaborated with HunoPPC?
Old 12 July 2018, 03:26   #6
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
The AmigaOS4 version runs slowly even on my AmigaOne X1000. Cowcat, have you collaborated with HunoPPC?

No idea whether this is your problem or not but until I used my q3config.cfg from Cowcat's Q3, it was running at like 1FPS. Now it's about 30FPS on my lowly 900MHz Ragnarok equipped A4000.

Hang'em High map maybe is one of the slow maps, that gets like .001 FPS, I thought it was locked but was able to exit to main menu and start another map.
Old 12 July 2018, 09:20   #7
Cowcat

Quote:
Hang'em High map maybe is one of the slow maps
That is the one I was referring. Also there are some missed colors on corners in this particular map: Could be a wrong generated one, but anyway is old stuff.

Quote:
have you collaborated with HunoPPC?
No, but inspired by his work I decided to do a "classic" version. Hi HunoPPC !

My version uses latest Q3 "classic Amiga" source (almost daily updated) combined with old 1.0 svn SmokinGuns.

Last edited by Cowcat; 12 July 2018 at 14:59.
Old 12 July 2018, 10:08   #8
nexus

nice
Old 13 July 2018, 00:57   #9
grelbfarlk

I made a demo and getting somewhere around 25.4 FPS, it has a lot of outdoor areas with long view distances, it speeds up to very fast indoors, but it's quite playable. I'm really enjoying this game even with just bots.

With same demo on Rapture G4@550MHz, I got 19.5 FPS. Not to say that my settings are completely optimized.

I'll make some videos this weekend.

Last edited by grelbfarlk; 13 July 2018 at 02:06.
Old 13 July 2018, 01:06   #10
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Video?
Old 15 July 2018, 01:03   #11
grelbfarlk

Noticed a bug. When I start a demo recording, it seems to drop my keybinds, I can no longer change weapons, jump, etc. If I got into settings afterward weapon select, jump, activate are no longer bound. It's only some keybinds though, I can still shoot and move. Pretty strange, maybe this is some engine feature but I've not seen this before.
Old 15 July 2018, 12:57   #12
Cowcat

Quote:
When I start a demo recording, it seems to drop my keybinds
Yessss.....good report. Not only affects Smokin but Q3-jit (latest I uploaded) also have this bug

Wheel mouse used for changing weapons and jump key affected. Have to check out some of the new optimizations (that saves configurations only when is needed and not on every frame).....but don't really know now.

Demo got recorded OK in Q3 but cannot be loaded with Smokin (some error there): That's a different one.
Old 15 July 2018, 14:16   #13
Cowcat

Ok. Demo loading is working now: The engine saved the demo using protocol 71 used by modern Q3, OpenArena, etc, but tried to load demos with protocol 68 (the older used by the Q3 Amiga version). Weird.

Now I have to look at this keys issues: Anyway when recording, one can go to menu to "recover" the lost keys and continue the record/game. So Q3/SmokinG need new builds. And ppc JIT for OpenArena, and some 68k love too
Old 25 July 2018, 20:06   #14
BULI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowcat View Post
Ok. Demo loading is working now: The engine saved the demo using protocol 71 used by modern Q3, OpenArena, etc, but tried to load demos with protocol 68 (the older used by the Q3 Amiga version). Weird.

Now I have to look at this keys issues: Anyway when recording, one can go to menu to "recover" the lost keys and continue the record/game. So Q3/SmokinG need new builds. And ppc JIT for OpenArena, and some 68k love too

I trying Smoking'Guns (rev 1.0) on my Sonnet.
I have menu screen, and i can take a choice Singel player, and when after choising, and loading (before open play game screen) I have black screen and reset computer.

How much memory need this game?
Old 27 July 2018, 09:40   #15
Cowcat

Quote:
How much memory need this game?
No idea but the problems you describe looks like those that people had with old Q3 versions with limited ram: Some maps didn't work, sluggish performance, crashes....

If all is in place (own Smokin dir, correct paks, etc), use a current q3config,cfg and modify it disabling audio, enabling vertexlight, switching off compiled qvm (all vm_ at 1 = no JIT) or even windowmode & blablabla...

As newer Q3, "+set sys_nostdout = 0" gives info of what is going if running from shell.

Tip: Some maps could stop loading with some kind of alloc error but no crash. Simply change com_hunkMegs to higher value: default is 64 & I upped this to 96.
Old 27 July 2018, 17:23   #16
BULI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowcat View Post
No idea but the problems you describe looks like those that people had with old Q3 versions with limited ram: Some maps didn't work, sluggish performance, crashes....

If all is in place (own Smokin dir, correct paks, etc), use a current q3config,cfg and modify it disabling audio, enabling vertexlight, switching off compiled qvm (all vm_ at 1 = no JIT) or even windowmode & blablabla...

As newer Q3, "+set sys_nostdout = 0" gives info of what is going if running from shell.

Tip: Some maps could stop loading with some kind of alloc error but no crash. Simply change com_hunkMegs to higher value: default is 64 & I upped this to 96.

Yes, I know that some bigger maps on Q3 don't work (not enough memory).

Yes, I tested parameter com_hunkMegs, and another similar on Q3.

Yes, I have switch on JIT in Q3. I will test without JIT.

And I will test with newer Q3, "+set sys_nostdout = 0" :-)

Please be patient- I will do that, when I will have little more time :-)
Old 03 August 2018, 15:12   #17
Cowcat

Some updates:

Fixed recording (hope so) and "uncertain" 68k build.

Also some experimental qvms with some updates from newer 1.1 and testing thirdperson in "cheating" mode (who cares).

For newer vm, unpack sg_pak0.pk3 (it's a zip file) and substitute the older qvms in vm dir (no other way to do it for now). Zip that again

Combining cg_thirdpersonRange (maybe 80 value) and a new cvar thirdpersonHeight (maybe 40 value) you get a better view in thirdperson mode, but no, the vertical crosshair is not ok (have to test some other complex math code to fix that).

As always, all code is using Q3 "neverending update".

Tip: Oficial SmokinGuns value for com_HunkMegs is "96" and com_zoneMegs is "16", but I kept the older Q3 values just in case. Those values allow loading of all maps (or so).
Attached Files
File Type: lha sg-qvm_r2.lha (440.4 KB, 212 views)

Last edited by Cowcat; 14 March 2019 at 16:18.
Old 04 August 2018, 02:52   #18
grelbfarlk

Seems to work well. Debinding of keys while recording demo is fixed. Speed seems about the same. Not sure if the JIT is working, I added the new files to the pak.

Offtopic: I set Sound rates to 44100 and 16 bits and AHI device to FM801 16-bit 44100 and it played perfectly. I did lose about 1FPS for around 24.5 FPS in my demo-but worth it IMHO.

Last edited by grelbfarlk; 04 August 2018 at 03:59.
Old 04 August 2018, 12:35   #19
AMIGASYSTEM

Ciao Cowcat to me with version 68k AFA OS it blocks on "Starting up..." see screenshot

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 11 August 2018 at 12:24.
Old 05 August 2018, 20:35   #20
Cowcat

Quote:
version 68k AFA OS it blocks on "Starting up..."
Just like my experience testing all those Q3 68k builds.

Questions:
UAE version? A newer one?
Still Q3/OpenArena 68k works?

I know "one" particular loop in a function on the botlib code that produces this effect in my system, bypassing it you can load the levels but of course bots and game acts badly.

Maybe is time to have a debugger running to iron out those 68k issues. I cannot do it

Forgot to tell that 68k game loads demos (done with wos version ) and in theory can join a game on lan as client just like the other mods.

Last edited by Cowcat; 05 August 2018 at 21:01.