English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Language > Coders. Blitz Basic

Old 23 May 2023, 08:10   #1
AmiNju

Best Practise: Network game

I would like to occasionally access the network in my game. I know that this is not possible in BLITZ mode. Therefore I have to move in AMIGA/QAMIGA mode if I want to access the TCP commands. Or not?

My idea is to use the request/response method. The initial request always comes from my Amiga game in the direction of a game server, which then sends a response with the data. Since some time can pass between request and response, I would still like to keep the game "playable" - i.e. asynchronous? Time is not a criterion. The data can be on the way for a second.

I am familiar with the basics of network communication. However, how would you roughly do that on the Amiga in a game?
Old 23 May 2023, 10:14   #2
Daedalus

That sounds like a reasonable approach. You're correct, you need multitasking to run the network stack unless you use either external hardware like a virtual null modem cable or similar.

Keeping it asynchronous within a single body of code just means managing it as part of your main loop. Send your request, then on each iteration or each heartbeat or whatever, check if you got a response. You could also start a counter when you send the request, so that you're able to give timeout errors after x number of seconds / heartbeats and act appropriately.

AmiBlitz 3 includes a network Include file. I can't remember if it comes with a demo program but it's worth checking that out, as well as the documentation for it.