English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 27 November 2023, 04:18   #1
amifan
WhatIFF? Amiga Magazine

CF Card disappeared

Hi guys, I was in the process of setting up an SSD with my A1200, I had a buffered IDE with CF adapter from Amigastore.eu, this one: https://amigastore.eu/en/891-a120060...-buffered.html

I had my CF card plugged into the CF slot and the SSD with adapter plugged into the IDE connector. When I turned on the Amiga nothing booted, I eventually got the Kickstart screen. Now my CF is not recognised by the A1200 when I go to the boot menu. I am at a bit of a loss to what to do or if it is possible to recover the CF data.
Old 27 November 2023, 04:21   #2
amifan
WhatIFF? Amiga Magazine

I just checked in HD ToolBox with the WB3.2 Disk and none of the partitions show up, the status is Unknown.
Old 27 November 2023, 08:08   #3
derSammler

Is the CF card still seen by a PC or a Mac? Unlike an SSD, CF and SD cards are not that reliable. They can die from one second to another. And unlike spinning rust (aka hard disk drives), they have a limited life-time from the outset anyway (that's why buying used cards should be avoided).

If the card is no longer seen by any system, trash it. If you can reformat it on a PC/Mac, I would still replace it and only keep it as a spare. Chances are it will fail again. It's also good practise to make an image of a CF card once you have finished setting it up.
Old 27 November 2023, 08:15   #4
amifan
WhatIFF? Amiga Magazine

The card pops up as an unformatted card on the Mac, and the Amiga side sees it as an unformatted drive i.e. like a new one. I guess there is no chance to recovering the data from it? I thought I had backed up the data but cannot find the files so this is my only chance to save any data.
Old 27 November 2023, 08:27   #5
lesta_smsc

If it is detecting on PC then try mounting this in WinUAE or loading Workbench off disk to see if there is anything showing (still in WinUAE).

You will be able to rule out if the problems lie somewhere with Amiga eg IDE header, cable etc
Old 27 November 2023, 08:29   #6
amifan
WhatIFF? Amiga Magazine

I loaded WB off a disk, the hard drive icons do not show up, but when I use HD ToolBox from Workbench it shows up as an uninitiated drive.
Old 27 November 2023, 08:40   #7
lesta_smsc

Could it be filesystem is unsupported on your OS? Is IDEFIX97 enabled?
Old 27 November 2023, 08:43   #8
amifan
WhatIFF? Amiga Magazine

It should be, the card booted fine without any issues, only have plugging the CF card together with a buffered IDE interface and SSD then CF card seems to have been erased. I tried just the CF card in the Amiga with a standard single cable CF to IDE adapter, and the card is still not booting or showing up when booting from a floppy disk.
Old 27 November 2023, 08:54   #9
derSammler

Quote:
only have plugging the CF card together with a buffered IDE interface and SSD then CF card seems to have been erased
Temporal coincidence I would say.

You could try running DiskSalv. Or just reformat and see if there is any life left in the card at all.
Old 27 November 2023, 09:17   #10
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It might be just first (few) block(s) getting damaged, it would make it look like unformatted (corrupt partition tables). If card still responds, it most likely isn't dead and most of data is still recoverable.

This can also happen if system was not >4G safe.
Old 27 November 2023, 09:19   #11
amifan
WhatIFF? Amiga Magazine

That would be nice if so, what could I do to fix the issue, could it be done from the Amiga side?
Old 27 November 2023, 22:21   #12
thomas

You could try this program: http://thomas-rapp.homepage.t-online.../rdbrecov2.lha

You should make a backup of the CF card first. I am not familiar with MacOS. In WinUAE there is an option "create hard disk image file".

Also in WinUAE you can just add the above LHA as first harddrive and the CF (or rather the backup) as second one. No other file is needed.
Old 28 November 2023, 09:36   #13
Jope
-

In macos, a backup can be made from the shell with the dd tool.

You can identify what disk is what with diskutil list and then the device node would be /dev/disk1 /dev/disk2 and so on, matching what you just saw in diskutil list.

The dd command itself goes traditionally: dd if=/dev/diskX of=myimagefile.hdf

Apparently the diskutil gui can also make a raw sector dump if you instruct it to show all devices from the menu and then have it make a "read only" format image. However the disk utility gui has changed many times over the years, so some user discretion is advised, it's best to find instructions for the particular disk utility that your particular macos has.
Old 29 November 2023, 14:27   #14
amifan
WhatIFF? Amiga Magazine

Thank you for the advice, I managed to back up the card but could not get any data off of it, the CF card has now completely died though so I am going back to the beginning and rebuilding my Amiga from scratch again
Old 29 November 2023, 14:33   #15
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by amifan View Post
Thank you for the advice, I managed to back up the card but could not get any data off of it, the CF card has now completely died though so I am going back to the beginning and rebuilding my Amiga from scratch again
If you have a complete image, then you're lucky as you can make a copy of it to try and test other methods
Old 03 December 2023, 20:16   #16
Orionis5

CF are very reliable if proper use is done and card is not fake.
I have my SanDisk, Kingston and Transcend working in Camera or Amiga after 14 years.
None of them died but all are genuine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derSammler View Post
Is the CF card still seen by a PC or a Mac? Unlike an SSD, CF and SD cards are not that reliable. They can die from one second to another. And unlike spinning rust (aka hard disk drives), they have a limited life-time from the outset anyway (that's why buying used cards should be avoided).

If the card is no longer seen by any system, trash it. If you can reformat it on a PC/Mac, I would still replace it and only keep it as a spare. Chances are it will fail again. It's also good practise to make an image of a CF card once you have finished setting it up.
Old 04 December 2023, 09:05   #17
derSammler

No, they are not. (hint: your milage is not true for the rest of the world)

They work in your Amiga for so long simply because the Amiga does little to no write access when just using the OS.

Use a brand-new one in a retro PC running Win9x and it will die within months of heavy use. This is nothing to even discuss about. Flash memory used in CF cards can take 10.000 writes per cell (or rather: block) at most with even only 1.000 for newer/bigger cards - and there is no real wear-leveling that would make use of e.g. TRIM. Not that the Amiga would support that anyway.

CF/SD cards are consumables and they always were. Not accepting this will cause you data loss sooner or later.

And I find it quite amusing that you wrote this just after he posted: "the CF card has now completely died"
Old 04 December 2023, 09:11   #18
amifan
WhatIFF? Amiga Magazine

Yeah, that is one of my reasons for switching to SSD, the peace of mind and security, plus the mSATA drives are pretty much the same cost now as a CF, so it seems to make more sense if thinking in the long term.