English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 24 November 2004, 11:58   #1
Bloodwych

Floppy disk WinUAE appreciation thread

Many of us use winuae/amiga emulators and pretty much take it for granted. Yes, we leave comments saying thanks and such but do we ever really appreciate the amount of work that goes on behind the scenes? Probably not, because in truth we’re not aware of what actually does go on.

Well, that’s what this thread is for! I’d like to know from Toni and the crew just how much work goes on behind the scenes. People who are involved in the other platform ports, I’d like to hear from them too.

Overall an insight into the virtual Amiga would be nice just as we’ve had in the past for the real machines multiple times before in this forum. After all, as real machines die out this will be the lone representative classic Amiga of the future.

For instance:

How many hours of coding and testing go on during the average week?
How many peeps are involved?

Just brief comments would suffice if at all possible.
Old 24 November 2004, 21:49   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
How many peeps are involved?

- me doing mostly everything..
- Bernd Roesch: Picasso96, AHI and other "high-end" Amiga stuff.
- Stephan Riedelbeck: bsdsocket

More answers coming later..
Old 24 November 2004, 22:20   #3
Marcuz

i think Bloodwych had imagined that you guys were working in a sterile ambient wearing white clothes and breathmasks, handling the most advanced/futuristic gizmos from alternate realities, in a big hi-tech facility in the middle of a gigantic pre-raphaelite park where the security and military forces guarding the project have names like Frank or Nick but nice faces and politely disguised suits; your families enjoying the cultural and creative areas of the base in a fresh and healty and enriching enviroement.
fluffy dinosaurs pets placidly munching greens outside in the lawn, babies playing cheerfully games around them.

while you are just a bunch of dirty nerds programming on a half funtioning Vic-20 in the building' public garage, try to escape a serious work. f*@kin' punks.

hehe
Old 24 November 2004, 22:35   #4
jmmijo

Toni, I figured there was only a few peeps doing the work

I for one thank you, Bernd and Stephan for all the hard work and the effort into this great and continuous project
Old 24 November 2004, 23:03   #5
Bloodwych

Marco, you make it sound like Teletubbie land and those plonkers couldn’t even work a toaster. Thanks for totally destroying my illusion of the WinUAE factory; this is like people trying to tell me Santa doesn’t exist…

Anyway, wash your mouth out Marco and let’s get back on-topic.

Quote:

- me doing mostly everything..
- Bernd Roesch: Picasso96, AHI and other "high-end" Amiga stuff.
- Stephan Riedelbeck: bsdsocket
Never realised only 3, but I always thought you did the lion share of the work. Also there is your loyal army of testers.....
Old 25 November 2004, 12:10   #6
Hillsy_

I would like to ask Toni, when did you feel it was feasible to tackle this project? Did you feel the task was impossible emulating the Amiga on a PC? What was the biggest hurdle or milestone for you? To see it run for the first time? The sense of achievement must have made you and your team feel so happy!!

I would like to thank Toni and Co. too. I have to admit they have done a fantastic job of re-creating my childhood youth and I thank them sincerely for their work and determination in keeping the Amiga scene alive and kicking along with all of you. It must have been a difficult task knowing what was possible, and at the beginning seeing if everything would turn out the way you thought it would. Being able to Play Turrican again was one of the highlights for me, to be able to run and jump past the lightning bolts, it felt just like I had a REAL Amiga in front of me. The sense of nostalgia and accuracy with the emulator is quite overwhelming. Toni, the most special part for me was when you included the sound of the Amiga 500's floppy drive...I was so surprised!! A very nice touch, which I didn't think would be included in any shape or form in the emulation of the Amiga.

Please keep up the good work Toni & Co. Many of us here appreciate your hard work and contribution to the emulation scene.

Your the best, and Bernd & Stephan for making such a great piece of software.

You deserve a pint from every member here at EAB, but then again you might not be able to continue work for several weeks.. And we wouldn't want that folks now would we?

Thanks,
Old 25 November 2004, 12:22   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Wait a moment, I didn't create UAE. Bernd Schmidt was the original programmer (unfortunately he disappeared about 4-5 years ago) with help from other people.

Currently there is only 3 people plus E-UAE's author doing great job porting.

I started with AGA-emulation because I heard it was "impossible" to emulate (that was when 0.8.6 or so was latest..)
Old 25 November 2004, 14:03   #8
Big-Byte
Long time member

Anyone else got the new PC Action magazine 'Emulate' special thats out in the UK this month? The mags not that great (The 'tutorials' barely scratch the surface) to be honest but they do praise WINUAE as possibly the greatest emulator ever written due to the complexity of the the amiga.
Old 25 November 2004, 14:19   #9
AmiGer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Byte
Anyone else got the new PC Action magazine...
Do you have a scanner ? Would be very interesting to have a look at it...
Old 25 November 2004, 16:12   #10
Big-Byte
Long time member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmiGer
Do you have a scanner ? Would be very interesting to have a look at it...
Unfortunately no..
Old 25 November 2004, 16:35   #11
fiath

I think it is from the same people that write Retrogamer.
Old 25 November 2004, 18:02   #12
mintsauce82

Yeah, i think i saw that magazine advertised in the current Retrogamer. I'll be on the lookout for it when i'm next out.

edit... sorry, completely forgot the point of this thread. Thankyou Bernd Schmidt, wherever you are, for the original coding of UAE. And thanks to Toni and the guys for WinUAE, it means a huge amount to me to be able to have my memories survive this way.
Old 25 November 2004, 18:10   #13
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Although not a direct contributor there is XPort who does the quite reasonable X-box port

It would however not exist if it wasnt for Tony et al.
Old 13 August 2011, 00:31   #14
Photon

Well, I'll be... here it is!

Didn't I post a similar thread with request for sticky, to balance out the support threads? Now, Toni being the hero that he is seems to be doing fine just doing what he's doing, so maybe it's unnecessary

But I would still like to claim 1st prize for Zombie Thread Resurrection of the Year, though, if you don't mind. Thank you. Thankyouverymuch. (bows)

Hehe.

Also, I'd like to add a criteria: appreciators of WinUAE, if you could think of a reason WinUAE is awesome and end each post with a please (Hey mods, request for sticky still applies... pleease? )

OK, I'll start:

WinUAE is awesome because it works with my LCD Tablet
Old 13 August 2011, 00:49   #15
DeafDaz
Deafdaz

WinUAE appreciation

WinUAE makes me happy because Toni Made it possible to bring the retro- computing from the past into the present.

Good Job
Old 13 August 2011, 01:07   #16
WDeranged

I've been using UAE for a long time, since the days when it was barely functional.

I sold my old Amiga in the mid 90's, because of UAE (and Fellow) I only had to wait a few years to play my old favourites again.

Many thanks to all involved over the years, I think it's one of emulation's greatest achievements
Old 13 August 2011, 01:58   #17
DaveMB
Banana in disk drive eror

lol @ Photon - nice bit of thread necromancy there

WinUAE is awesome because it allows me to play all my games and music demos, Its pretty much 100%, perfect video, perfect sound and if something aint quite right it has a shitload of settings to play with..................Oh and it even emulates the floppy drive sound lol
Old 13 August 2011, 02:41   #18
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Toni is probably one of the main reasons the Amiga still has a following. Without WinUae i doubt whether the community would be anything like it is now..We definatly owe him that !!
Whilst he is replying to this thread...I did want to ask....
I love commodore's no matter what they are but WinUae is a Development project unlike mine which is simply using existing work and making the c64 easier and more fun for us !!
So once i get the C64-X Launcher site on its own domain and hosting up will add paypal buttons...But... want to link them directly to Winuae if thats ok

So it works something like this .. http://www.lastninjachronicles.co.uk/C64X2/

Vice does not have a Donate so i cant add one for them but the amiga launcher will be on the site anyway when its finished
Like i said im doing my launchers for fun but Winuae is an official development project so every little helps

BTW...Is it true the ORIGINAL UAE Stood for "Useless Amiga Emulator" then got upgraded to "Ultimate Amiga Emulator" as it actually got better ??
Old 13 August 2011, 05:13   #19
Amiga1992

This thread should be gigantic! No words are enough to thank Toni for his amazing work with WinUAE.
Old 13 August 2011, 14:41   #20
WDeranged

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchro View Post
BTW...Is it true the ORIGINAL UAE Stood for "Useless Amiga Emulator" then got upgraded to "Ultimate Amiga Emulator" as it actually got better ??
It is indeed true

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UAE_(emulator)#History