English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Home Projects > project.EAB

Old 27 August 2007, 17:08   #1
Bloodwych

Off Topic and "Today's Posts"

I haven't been around for a while and wondered why no off-topic stuff seemed to exist when I clicked on "Today's posts". This caused me to make this comment in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
Talking about laughs, and I know it wasn't always everyone's cup of tea, but I miss the off-topic banter from Fred, Dizzy, Ironclaw and the rest of the loony gang.

In my opinion they posted some funny crap that lightened up the board.

I know some don't miss it and found it all a bit much, but it catered for the needs of my sick mind.
Then, in reply, Ironclaw brought this little fact to my attention:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironclaw View Post
I miss expressing myself.. which I can't now as it has been burried in that OT section which doesn't show up when pressing Today's Posts and stuff.... BRING THEM BACK!!
Is this true? If so I think we should have a re-think as EAB needs some light hearted stuff amongst the serious action in my opinion.

I know Off-Topic is a controversial issue amongst members, but what I can't understand is removing it from "Today's Posts" for those who are logged in?

Surely it should work like this:
  • Non/logged-out members - Off-Topic doesn't appear under "Today's Posts"
  • Logged in members - Off-Topic appears under "Today's Posts"

Then members can OPT-OUT of off topic via their options if they find it not to their tastes?

Anyone with me on this?
Old 27 August 2007, 17:11   #2
Graham Humphrey

Yes, definitely. Giving people the option to display off-topic posts on "Today's Posts" would be the best solution in my opinion.
Old 27 August 2007, 17:13   #3
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Exactly. We wants it!, we needs it!
Old 27 August 2007, 17:13   #4
Dizzy
Pirate

wow you are the brave man who dare make the thread here, and not in the OT section as some gay memeber did http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=31460

I think it should be and option to view OT under Todays post, so those who want to see it can see it, and those not dont have to bother
Old 27 August 2007, 17:19   #5
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
wow you are the brave man who dare make the thread here, and not in the OT section as some gay memeber did http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=31460

I think it should be and option to view OT under Todays post, so those who want to see it can see it, and those not dont have to bother
I'm feeling brave today!!!

Noticed the other thread as well:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=23731

...but I wanted to start a new thread because I'm an attention whore.
Old 27 August 2007, 21:06   #6
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

There used to be a setting where you could choose what and what not to show in "Unread Posts", I personally would've voted to just change the default for OT to off for new members and take it out of Today's Post for non-members. I'm not sure what I said previously on the subject, but I've excluded OT from Unread Posts for a while now.
Old 27 August 2007, 21:11   #7
Ironclaw
Banned

The option should be activated by default .
Old 27 August 2007, 21:28   #8
Marcuz

@bloodwych: not to overstay my welcome, but this was extensively discussed between mods (you are one! go check it!) in the private area.

now, it may or may not be that some adjusting is needed, and that should be open to all the board to see, but before (ye mods) i suggest you go check those threads, so to be conscious that the situation as it was, was largely out of control.

after that, feel free to propose changes you like
Old 27 August 2007, 21:53   #9
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco pedrana View Post
@bloodwych: not to overstay my welcome, but this was extensively discussed between mods (you are one! go check it!) in the private area.

now, it may or may not be that some adjusting is needed, and that should be open to all the board to see, but before (ye mods) i suggest you go check those threads, so to be conscious that the situation as it was, was largely out of control.

after that, feel free to propose changes you like
Woops!

Well, I'm not really a mod, well I am, but not a very powerful one.

I'm a mini-mod, only a puny ClassicWB mod, and not really around enough to take part in that special area. I'm kind of a normal member with a mod forum pass.

You are right - I guess I should have looked in there first and I will have a read through so I'm not talking out of ignorance (which I may be doing at this very moment!!!), but this is kind of a public issue also so I believe it's good to air it in the open. Then an informed decision can be made based on members opinions. If off-topic was creating a headache and extra work for the mods then apologies for stirring the pot/speaking out without thinking.

I agree the old way was perhaps a little out of control (with perhaps 25% of new posts being off-topic containing dubious pictures) but the problem is the current system has completely killed it.

If off-topic isn't made to be on by default for logged in members, people will be too lazy to even realize any off-topic discussions are even taking place unless the option to OPT-IN is made clear. Again, this will kill it or reduce activity. That's a shame, as to some it adds character to the board.

However, those that hate off-topic will soon use an OPT-OUT option in order to maintain their sanity, so that's the way I think it should be done.

We'd probably have to hide off-topic to members under 18 years of age as well.

Of course, if the majority disagree then I'm not going to throw my toys out the pram. I still enjoy EAB just as it is, it just feels a little less colourful without off-topic under "today's posts".

Last edited by Bloodwych; 27 August 2007 at 22:00.
Old 27 August 2007, 21:57   #10
keropi

I want OT back!!!! I want it on my "Show Unread Posts" search!!!!
Old 27 August 2007, 21:59   #11
Marcuz

@Bloodwych: i already agreed with you before you were thinking the whole idea
seriously, tough, i was happy to wait some months to retalk of OT, so that it would have eventually cleaned itself, with the partecipation of the only people really committed to it.

imho OT should NEVER EVER get out of its present accomodation, but the possibility to add the content, by conscious action of the user, to the "today posts" / "show new posts" should be nice
Old 27 August 2007, 22:02   #12
Graham Humphrey

Bloodwych, you're still a mod, even if you think you're not an important one (which I don't agree with by the way) go and have a look in the mods' forum from time to time

There's nothing to stop you taking part in there y'know, just because you're not as active as some of us doesn't mean your opinion won't be valued
Old 27 August 2007, 22:09   #13
Bloodwych

Graham, I'm a AWOL mod. I should be burned at the stake. But I'll take your advise and pop in from time to time with a fire-proof suit on.
Old 27 August 2007, 22:11   #14
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
I should be burned at the stake.
That can be arranged
Old 27 August 2007, 22:31   #15
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Sorry to disagree here but I definitely DO NOT miss all that OT crap.

However, I'd be happy to opt out of OT. I realise a lot of people find it amusing.
Old 28 August 2007, 01:05   #16
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

I have checked off topic like 3 times since the changes. Just too used to pressing todays posts up the top. I miss the off topic faggotry.
Old 28 August 2007, 11:44   #17
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

If there could be a way to slot Off Topic in Today's Posts and get them out of the dungeon, that would be great.

And thanks Bloodwych. You got balls.
Old 28 August 2007, 13:14   #18
Marcuz

lol balls? why? because he was sleeping in the kitchen while the other mods were discussing this?
Old 28 August 2007, 14:11   #19
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

indeed... i do miss the off-topic ..... there was some that was to close to the mark (it didn`t always involve ironclaw ) and there was some that was perhaps best burned for the complete filth it was (but you cannot blame mick_aka all the time for that )

but i do miss it... there needs an opt-out system. off topic should count as posts (personally i really don care about post counts) but if I want to disucss some thing non-amiga releated albiet freds fantastic faggotry or even ideas for something completely different... i want that option. to get there now takes to long, I dont seen any new posts or developments... and my lunch breaks are now overly long with no entertainment.

I appreciate that some of the stooges in here want to CONTROLL because certain content is to (ofay?)

but by making it difficult / awkward to get at it will demoralize and reduce the overall joviality of the community that in someways, and those numbers taking part will reduce. I have found the EAB of late is missing some fun, seems all business.... be nice to have some random crazyness again!
Old 28 August 2007, 14:17   #20
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

/me wonders if the mods have sekrit files on us lower life forms in their super sekrit mod forum.