English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 02 January 2002, 09:29   #1
Blackjackel6

Send a message via ICQ to Blackjackel6
Cool Who digz the D&D gold box series?

who remembers the advanced dungeons & dragons gold box series? i have the limited editon collector's set (only 5000 made) which includes Pool Of Radiance, Curse Of The Azure Bonds, Heroes Of The Lance, Dragon's Of Flame & Hillsfar

does anybody else out there have this set???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	d&d_collector'sset.jpg
Views:	740
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	1563  
Old 02 January 2002, 14:31   #2
oldpx

Later on they released a CD full of old goldbox games but maybe it was a warez compilation cd and wasn't official

I love those games but skid row failed to crack some of them properly and you must have the manuals to finish them including pool of darkness. I only managed to finish Champions of Krynn and it was great fun !

Old 02 January 2002, 14:33   #3
oldpx

It just came to my mind... Heroes of the Lance is not a goldbox game, gameplay is different, engine is different, it's not even a proper roleplaying game in my opinion. Anyway, it's one of the few games I own the original (sega master system version, a bit better)

Old 02 January 2002, 15:38   #4
Drake1009

Yeah without the manual you miss a darn lot. My brother had Pools of radience original on the C64. Apart from the codewheel the journal system allowed you to quickly and painlessly play through the game without having to read all too much text which is really a flaw of many RPGs I think if you just want to pass some area quickly (Like if you're replaying a game maybe because you died and didn't save). The journal system was also great copy protection since people usually didn't think of copying the journal and that thing had quite a bit of information in it which added a lot to the game as well as hints and important information.
Old 02 January 2002, 16:24   #5
oldpx

It was painful to play for hours and hours and then realize there was a copy protection check in the middle ofthe game

Even if you owned the original, it would still be painful because you had to check the journal entries once in a few minutes and that was a drag. The games treated the owners of the original game like potential pirates by making them prove that they had the manual once in a few minutes.

I can upload the Journal Entries of most GoldBox games if anyone wants them

Old 02 January 2002, 16:48   #6
oldpx

Thumbs up

Check the zone for Rule Books and Adventure Journals of Champions of Krynn, Death Knights of Krynn, Dark Queen of Krynn, Pool of Radiance, Curse of Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades, Pools of Darkness, Gateway to the Savage Frontier, Treasures of the Savage Frontier.

Old 03 January 2002, 03:58   #7
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Big grin

Blackjackel6-yes I remember that boxed series well as I too have it (for the Amiga)!!
Sorry to correct you Burseg, but "Hero's of the Lance" WAS part of that boxed set-unless you're referring to it being an arcade title rather than an RPG. For some reason, I didn't mind the Intro pics & music, but that game was terrible.
But it wasn't the only arace game in the set, you'd have to virtually add Hillsfar to that list too.

It wasn't a bad collection, my personal favourites were probably Hillsfar & Curse of the Azure Bonds. I eventually got stuck on Hillsfar, but did mange to be the champion in the arena fights (Not that tough, I know!).
I liked "Curse's" plot of getting rid of the bonds. I think when I 'd eventually gave up I'd managed to get rid of three bonds & was approaching the baddie for the fourth.

Unfortunately, due to floppy drive problems on my A500 & then A600HD, my originals got damaged & had read/arite errors so most of the collection is unuseable now, unless I play them from the beginning!!
Old 03 January 2002, 04:07   #8
LaundroMat

Curse was the only AD&D novel I actually enjoyed reading, too....
I remember being terribly excited when I saw shots of these games in the mags - off to the download section, I am!
Old 03 January 2002, 08:50   #9
Blackjackel6

Quote:
I remember that boxed series well as I too have it
this has got me wondering, perhaps the boxed set was only released in australia?
Old 03 January 2002, 09:52   #10
oldpx

I believe you're right zark. After all the definition "goldbox game" was a marketing strategy and if HotL is marketed as a a goldbox game than this label has nothing to do with the game's being a true rpg or not.

Quake is a better RPG than Heroes of the Lance. LOL

Old 03 January 2002, 10:10   #11
Blackjackel6

what i dont get is why the hell Dragonstrike doesnt have a gold box when HotL does!!!!!!!

it was the first fucken AD&D game to use 2nd Edition rules damn it!!! I THINK THAT DESERVES A GOLD BOX MORE THAN THAT HEROES OF THE LANCE SHIT
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dragonstrikebox.jpg
Views:	535
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	1567  
Old 03 January 2002, 10:17   #12
Blackjackel6

Question

Burseg- I've seen Heroes for Master System but did Dragon's Of Flame ever make it to that system? it's the same engine ain't it?
Old 03 January 2002, 14:18   #13
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackjackel6
this has got me wondering, perhaps the boxed set was only released in australia?
I believe you are right, as that was the first time I had heard of this collection. And frankly, I was convinced it was a PC product until I saw Amiga on the box. That was a real eye-opener for me! Which is what makes this international forum such a groovy thing because otherwise how else could we pull all of this information together. Any chance of full scans of that package?
Old 03 January 2002, 14:51   #14
oldpx

Quote:
I've seen Heroes for Master System but did Dragon's Of Flame ever make it to that system
AFAIK, it wasn't released on Master System but I'll be glad if someone proves me wrong. The good RPGs of Master System were Ultima IV, Phantasy Star and there were some OK ones like Y'S - The Vanished Omens but the only D&D title I know on Master System is Heroes of the Lance.

Old 05 January 2002, 08:44   #15
Blackjackel6

here's the full scans for you Twistin' Ghost.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	d&d_boxback.jpg
Views:	1505
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	1586