English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 08 January 2013, 00:40   #1
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Amiga games for the PC?

Just thinking out aloud here with a very hypothetical idea. There's loads of coders/artists/musicians etc that still use the Amiga and have a very deep connection with the machine. Theres also plenty of people that have ideas for games but simply can't make the commitment to their projects as Amiga games don't tend to make much money these days...

Well let's just say there was a "Development" version of WinUAE, hypothetically speaking of course, and this version was hard coded to a set configuration, depending on the type of game being developed.
The user creates the game entitley in the emulated environment of WinUAE, storage not being a problem the user could use a HDF file for large data/access speed reasons...

Once the game is created have it compiled in such a way that it can be run on a PC with WinUAE being completely invisible. System requirements would basically be WinUAE requirements? There seems to be a new generation out there that enjoy retro/8-bit looking games, could the Amiga in this day and age still produce a slick and polished game, I would like to think so! Anybody else thinking along these lines or am I nuts
Old 08 January 2013, 00:45   #2
s2325
Zone Friend

There was link to polish Company site which have download of Amiga games merged with WinUAE. (Modified?) WinUAE was invisible until pressing F12. Image of Kickstart was included and screen filtering as default.
Old 08 January 2013, 00:49   #3
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
There was link to polish Company site which have download of Amiga games merged with WinUAE. (Modified?) WinUAE was invisible until pressing F12. Image of Kickstart was included and screen filtering as default.
Don't suppose you have any links? I'm interested to see what they did. Wouldn't there also be a copyright problem with Kickstarts roms etc.
Old 08 January 2013, 00:52   #4
s2325
Zone Friend

Yes, so I'm not sure if I should post a link here. Some polish EAB users know Company crew.
Old 08 January 2013, 01:01   #5
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Bummer, well I don't want to cause any hassles if needed. Perphaps a PM would be ok? Message it to my youtube account? Failing that wait for a moderator to appear
Old 08 January 2013, 01:04   #6
s2325
Zone Friend

Maybe just google amiga company. You need free google account to download. Exe files are always risk but they should not be infected.
Old 08 January 2013, 01:06   #7
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Quote:
Maybe just google amiga company.
Ok found it! Cheers
Old 08 January 2013, 01:10   #8
s2325
Zone Friend

Have fun, just avoid polish translations if you found any. J. R. R. Tolkien tried to learn this language, without any luck and he knew many other.
Old 08 January 2013, 01:33   #9
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Quote:
Tolkien tried to learn this language, without any luck and he knew many other.
Well If Tolkien struggled then that doesn't leave me with much optimism

Well I've had a brief scan of the site, not quite what I was hoping for so far, seems to be mostly pre-existing Amiga games, and some rather rough looking lesser known ones.
Old 08 January 2013, 01:36   #10
s2325
Zone Friend

Yes, better option is standalone WinUAE and any game which you want.
Old 08 January 2013, 04:03   #11
stevsurv
Beta 1.666

Some of their games can be a tad buggy under win 7 but they got a good selection
Old 08 January 2013, 10:32   #12
Cpt. Hindsight

There was also synchro's Amiga Arcade Launcher, but I guess it's quite hard to find. Anyway, a pm to him should solve the problem of finding it.
I wished there would be a new version of Lemonade.
Old 08 January 2013, 17:10   #13
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

I think my original post may have been misinterpreted, I wasn't looking for a way to run Amiga games without seeing WinUAE, I was talking more in terms of using WinUAE to develop brand new Amiga games which run on modern PC's.
Old 09 January 2013, 14:24   #14
fishyfish
Banned

As far as the Kickstart distribution "problem" goes a person could just use the aros kickstart rom replacement. Works nicely and there's no legal problems.

As for the idea itself, if Im not mistaken youre suggesting using Winuae almost as a platform unto itself. Developing Amiga games that can be launched transparently under Windows using Winuae?

An interesting idea, but assuming a person takes advantage of the extra speed, maybe some extra chipram, etc. then are people really developing Amiga software, or emulator software? If the latter, then for some people it might just be more appealing to develop pc software rather than placing artificial restrictions by using an emulator.
It also changes pretty much nothing in terms of development. The only thing that changes is that its developed to exclusively use a particular (virtual) platform. Something that can be done anyway, even without focusing on developing for an emulators specs.

All that said though, it isnt without its own appeal. I used to want to make an "AROS cd64" a while back, using a mini itx pc + aros + uae in cd32 casing. It'd be backwards compatible with cd32 software (but also run faster for games that take advantage of faster hardware), and almost be its own platform when setting UAE to 8meg chipram + jit cpu emulation.
Even now it sounds fun, but as I mentioned its almost then its own platform.

I guess some of the fpga platforms could also run these "enhanced" games given that they can also have beyond 2meg chipram.
Old 09 January 2013, 18:38   #15
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfish View Post
An interesting idea, but assuming a person takes advantage of the extra speed, maybe some extra chipram, etc. then are people really developing Amiga software, or emulator software? If the latter, then for some people it might just be more appealing to develop pc software rather than placing artificial restrictions by using an emulator.
Yeah that's a good point, still perhaps there are some coders/artists that feel more comfortable working on the Amiga? For myself I prefer to write music on the Amiga because of the limits forced on me, 4 channels only etc, It has a way of concentrating the mind.
Old 10 January 2013, 20:13   #16
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Don't kid yourself, you're still stuck in the past like the rest of us and you refuse to let it go like the rest of us
Old 28 December 2015, 14:56   #17
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Take a look at this video, skip to about 5:50. We were playing games like this 25 years ago, given away free on coverdisks.. This stuff has come full circle, this type of game is selling in the present day. I know it's a niche market, but still..

[ Show youtube player ]

I`m sure the Amiga could compete with this style, perhaps just using 8 colours.
Old 28 December 2015, 15:04   #18
idrougge

Why would you use an "Amiga" for something like that when it only gives you unwanted restrictions? Why bother setting up copperlists and blits when all you want to do is draw a small man to the screen?

That said, I think there already is an "AMOS in a box" using UAE and AROS ROM.

Last edited by idrougge; 28 December 2015 at 15:11.
Old 28 December 2015, 15:14   #19
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

As I said before, some people are very comfortable working on the Amiga, and the limits can inspire rather than hold you back. Also I've noticed with these recent retro games, developers are placing self imposed limits on their games, colours, resolution etc.. The Amiga already has these limits...
Old 28 December 2015, 23:03   #20
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofchaos View Post
Take a look at this video, skip to about 5:50. We were playing games like this 25 years ago, given away free on coverdisks.. This stuff has come full circle, this type of game is selling in the present day. I know it's a niche market, but still..

[ Show youtube player ]

I`m sure the Amiga could compete with this style, perhaps just using 8 colours.
Damn! This is wicked...
Downfall 2 perhaps?