English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 10 August 2021, 01:12   #1
videofx

3.2 ROMS not working

OK I am really stumped on this.

I purchased 3.2 ROMS for my A4000D. Put the LO on the left and Hi on the right just like my 3.1.4 ROMS.

Now the 3.1.4 ROMS work but the 3.2 ROMS do not work.

I took out the 3.2 ROMs and took them to my eprom burner and read the contents of the LO and HI ROM and compared the binary files to the binary files on my newly purchased 3.2 CD and they compared and EXACTLY the same.

The pins on the 3.2 ROM are straight, nothing bent, no missing pins. When installed in the 4000 all the pins are in the sockets, no bent pins, no pins outside the socket.

If I put my 3.1 or my 3.1.4 ROMs back in the 4000, it boots.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 10 August 2021, 01:41   #2
rjd324

Never tried 3.2 yet but sure the endianess is correct for the 3.2? You can open the binary in a hex editor and at the beginning of both 3.1.4 and 3.2 you should see some embedded strings eg the copyright. This tells you if endianess is the issue.

Although, if you bought physical roms I wouldn't suspect this as the issue! That's as far as I can suggest.
Old 10 August 2021, 02:57   #3
aeberbach

Are the ROMs a different kind of chip - maybe you went from one kind of chip to another? Maybe power consumption is higher and it's making a difference? Unlikely but it's the only thing I can think of.
Old 10 August 2021, 04:01   #4
videofx

I erased my 3.1 ROMS and burned new 3.2 ROMS and tried in 2 different. amiga 4000's and I cant get the boot screen, I do with 3.0, 3.1 and 3.1.4
Old 10 August 2021, 04:19   #5
A4000Bear

3.2 will sit there with a black screen if you don't have a floppy drive or a hard drive connected. Note that despite this, if you press both mouse buttons on powerup, the power light will still flash, and releasing the mouse buttons will bring up the early startup menu.
Old 10 August 2021, 05:00   #6
videofx

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4000Bear View Post
3.2 will sit there with a black screen if you don't have a floppy drive or a hard drive connected. Note that despite this, if you press both mouse buttons on powerup, the power light will still flash, and releasing the mouse buttons will bring up the early startup menu.
Great! Thanks for the info. First thing tomorrow I will connect the floppy and try it
Old 10 August 2021, 10:51   #7
rjd324

And I think it would be a red screen if it was endianess anyway! So my ignore my suggestion.

Yeah, I seem to forget that other people forget that you sometimes have to wait for so long before boot screen.
Old 10 August 2021, 11:48   #8
Ratte

Big grin

After more than 35 years of Amiga history, it was time for a simple and obvious bug. The ROM was probably only tested with UAE, which would make Toni the culprit, because at least df0: is always active in the default settings. So it would be desirable if the UAE readme forbids software development on the emulator and Toni revises the presettings. The worldwide health situation gives every programmer enough time for the acquisition, reconstruction and maintenance of historical equipment. This is the first AmigaOS which has such a floppybug, unbelievable. Every hardware tinkerer has to give OS3.2 a wide berth, because he can't rely on the simplest error diagnostics. Maybe the mouse buttons don't work at full moon and with an external floppy the harddisk remains inactive, because two storage media are more than enough, after all the capacity doubles.

Does this still pass for fun or am I a troll now?
DeepL unfortunately cannot translate German humor. To increase compatibility, I study Little Britain, but that often gets me into trouble. Ever just peed in a German supermarket?
However i found the culprit ...

Don't take it so seriously ... but the error is annoying, especially if you occasionally repair devices.
Old 10 August 2021, 18:40   #9
Torti-the-Smurf

Please dont get me wrong people, but why go with 3.2 in the first place ?

(For sure, every new hardware and software for the amiga is great and welcomed)

But, i see people have so much trouble with 3.2 on systems they only wanting to play games on.
So why tinkering with all that. Take appart youre Amigas and and tear down youre trusted OS. But why ?

Dont forget, new Software brings also NEW BUGS ! ; and with more Data comes more potential for problems.
If you just only want to play games, use protracker and paint with Dpaint; why bother ?

Even with 3.1 you can use 8GB CF Cards. (PS3aio is needed but that is an essential anyway)
I have so much stuff on my Amiga and i barley need 4GB.

Anyhow, like i said. 3.2 makes sense, but for me only in an RTG AMIGA Setup. (real or emulated)

If you only want to play games, just stick with the classics.
3.2 makes everything BIGGER..so it takes longer and brings a lot of unknown with it.

Just look at an 3.2 Amiga. It takes Ages to boot.

My A600 Furia is ready in 2 seconds

Dont believe me ?

https://eab.abime.net/zone/Torti-Furia.zip.001
https://eab.abime.net/zone/Torti-Furia.zip.002
https://eab.abime.net/zone/Torti-Furia.zip.003
https://eab.abime.net/zone/Torti-Furia.zip.004

So why would i tear that appart ?

Anyhow, dont get me wrong, that is just my oppinion but i could scream if i see something like this...

[ Show youtube player ]
(ups, wrong video. Dosent matter. He is trying for over a month to upgrade all of his amigas with 3.2 )

Poor Amiga´s

Anyway, stick to classics for the classics and update for RTG systems :roll

Just my oppinion of course.
Yours Torti

Last edited by Torti-the-Smurf; 10 August 2021 at 19:55. Reason: typo
Old 10 August 2021, 18:55   #10
videofx

After I connected my floppy my 4000 booted to the boot screen in 2 seconds! Fastest ever!
Old 10 August 2021, 19:08   #11
Torti-the-Smurf

Nice ! I am pretty sure you use PFS3
But 3.2 dosent make the Amiga "load faster" - it just can´t. its WAY bigger;
so therefore More data has to be loaded.

Anyway. I am happy that all is good for you ! really. every happy amiga user makes me happy :roll

I just want to see happy amiga users Dosent matter what makes them happy.

Love you guys !!

PS: I just want to mention this once more, please dont get the wrong impression here, i have absolutly nothing against 3.2. Like i said, i just want to spare people some headeggs when they are not necessary

Greetings, yours Torti
Old 10 August 2021, 19:10   #12
Torti-the-Smurf

See, just in 5 minutes another thread like this....

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=107874

Thats what i mean and EAB has tons of those. Anyway, much love, Torti

Last edited by Torti-the-Smurf; 10 August 2021 at 19:56. Reason: Typo
Old 10 August 2021, 21:03   #13
duga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratte View Post
Don't take it so seriously ... but the error is annoying, especially if you occasionally repair devices.
Who says it's an error? Why run your Amiga without a floppy diskdrive/Gotek?
Old 10 August 2021, 22:58   #14
slaapliedje

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torti-the-Smurf View Post

But, i see people have so much trouble with 3.2 on systems they only wanting to play games on.
So why tinkering with all that. Take appart youre Amigas and and tear down youre trusted OS. But why ?

Dont forget, new Software brings also NEW BUGS ! ; and with more Data comes more potential for problems.
If you just only want to play games, use protracker and paint with Dpaint; why bother ?

Even with 3.1 you can use 8GB CF Cards. (PS3aio is needed but that is an essential anyway)

Anyhow, like i said. 3.2 makes sense, but for me only in an RTG AMIGA Setup. (real or emulated)

3.2 makes everything BIGGER..so it takes longer and brings a lot of unknown with it.

Dont believe me ?

Anyhow, dont get me wrong, that is just my oppinion but i could scream if i see something like this...

[ Show youtube player ]
(ups, wrong video. Dosent matter. He is trying for over a month to upgrade all of his amigas with 3.2 )

Poor Amiga´s

Yours Torti
You should see my A4000 with cyberstorm PPC and 10k SCSI drive (when it works) is fast as hell. Not just boot up either, but loading directories and such with tons of icons. One thing that's always been somewhat slow on Amigas.
Old 10 August 2021, 23:32   #15
slaapliedje

Quote:

Dont believe me ?

[ Show youtube player ]

Poor Amiga´s

Yours Torti
I don't know... built in ReAction, Intuition now tells you what application is stopping it from changing resolutions, MUCH improved FFS (pfs3 is no longer needed and I've had a lot of issues with it, and all the special things I needed to do to get it working...) CLI is WAY better, etc.
Old 11 August 2021, 00:29   #16
Torti-the-Smurf

Depends on what you want to do with youre Amiga. If you only want to play classic games n Stuff,
none of those things makes any difference.

I am with you; there are alot of cool new features in 3.2, but sometimes they are not worth the hussle imho. I mean, just look at the amount of problems people have with there classic Amigas.
Especially Furia Users. They Rip there Furia out, send them away for a firmware update just so they can use 3.2.. spending so much money... just to do the same thing as before

Anyway, 3.2 makes total sens in a RTG setup but every classic Amiga ? Hmm, i am not so sure about that.

Like is said, i just waned to spare people from unnessesary headeggs
3.2 will be used on my RasberryA400 This will be the perfect place for it,
but as for my A600. No way Sir

Anyhow. sweet greetings .

PS:What does it mean... I should see youre A4000 "when in works" . I mean does it work or dosent it? Is it dempendend on the mood or the right alignment of the Stars ?
Do you have to talk dirty too here or what ?? I really wanna know ! you made me curious

Last edited by Torti-the-Smurf; 11 August 2021 at 00:56. Reason: PPS: A very wise Man said once "Never change a running system" . Dont know,... i just thought i throw it out there ;)
Old 11 August 2021, 02:14   #17
slaapliedje

Quote:
Depends on what you want to do with youre Amiga. If you only want to play classic games n Stuff,
none of those things makes any difference.

I am with you; there are alot of cool new features in 3.2, but sometimes they are not worth the hussle imho. I mean, just look at the amount of problems people have with there classic Amigas.
Especially Furia Users. They Rip there Furia out, send them away for a firmware update just so they can use 3.2.. spending so much money... just to do the same thing as before

Anyway, 3.2 makes total sens in a RTG setup but every classic Amiga ? Hmm, i am not so sure about that.

Like is said, i just waned to spare people from unnessesary headeggs
3.2 will be used on my RasberryA400 This will be the perfect place for it,
but as for my A600. No way Sir

Anyhow. sweet greetings .

PS:What does it mean... I should see youre A4000 "when in works" . I mean does it work or dosent it? Is it dempendend on the mood or the right alignment of the Stars ?
Do you have to talk dirty too here or what ?? I really wanna know ! you made me curious
Well, it has stability issues. The Cyberstorm PPC on it doesn't like to have RAM installed (so tends to lock up and crash and reset. of course taking the RAM out means no PPC).

Pretty sure this has nothing to do with 3.2. I could try going back to 3.1.4 or 3.1 3.9 seemed pretty stable on it before too. So maybe something within the kickstart, but I really really like being able to trace the startup sequence, and other debugging things.

Overall, 3.2 doesn't seem much more bloated than 3.1 did, I just don't install the glow icons and instead use MagicWB.

I should try talking dirty to it, maybe it'll perform better for me! It's not like 'you never buy me things' can be it's excuse. I just bought two 10k U320 SCSI drives for it. Loved them for a while, then decided it didn't anymore :P
Old 11 August 2021, 02:40   #18
Torti-the-Smurf

Good old Cyberstorm PPC I did not made that upgrade back in those days. Had my Cyberstorm60/Cybergrafx64, became father and sold all my Amiga goodness ...... *stupid me*

Anyway, all the best and please enjoy youre Amiga (when it does work)
Old 11 August 2021, 02:46   #19
slaapliedje

Quote:
Good old Cyberstorm PPC I did not made that upgrade back in those days. Had my Cyberstorm60/Cybergrafx64, became father and sold all my Amiga goodness ...... *stupid me*

Anyway, all the best and please enjoy youre Amiga (when it does work)
Ha, I'm weird, I almost prefer it when it is giving me problems. Gives me a mystery to solve. If everything 'just worked' it'd be boring, right?

As far as your comment about 'only to play games'. I agree. If you have an OCS/ECS or AGA machine, and are only playing games on them, an 030 is likely the fastest processor you'd need and 3.1 ROMs are fine (2.04 probably for OCS/ECS even). If you actually like to use Workbench and do other things with it like applications / programming, etc. Then go for 3.2 for sure.

I'm planning on doing some development of apps, assuming I can ever get a stable setup...Was hoping to develop for 3.x (as opposed to 3.X), 3.9 and 4.1.
Old 11 August 2021, 10:07   #20
Ratte

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
Who says it's an error? Why run your Amiga without a floppy diskdrive/Gotek?
As I wrote before, if you want to repair a device, this error is very annoying.
As an example, if I change something on an Amiga, for example change capacitors, then I can usually turn on a partially assembled device and see if the video logic works. By the colors (yellow, cyan) you can see if the memory or the chipset is causing problems or by the bootscreen that you are on the right track.
If you solder on the mainboard, you normally don't connect all cables to the mainboard every time.

You have to be a tinkerer for that.