English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 28 February 2008, 00:10   #1
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

PC music program

Should really be in Off topic, but I know a lot of people don't ever read in there.

Been looking on www.amigaremix.com and been listening to some really nice tunes.

Does anyone know what PC music program these guys are using? Is it all done with keyboards and midi, or some kind of tracker program?
Old 28 February 2008, 02:48   #2
FromWithin
Music lord

Keyboards and MIDI? It's all plugins now, matey.
It's highly unlikely that any will use a tracker. Choose from the following most likely candidates:
Nuendo/Cubase
Sonar
Reason
FruityLoops
Logic (Mac only)

And some less likely ones:
AbletonLive
Tracktion
Digital Performer (Mac only)
ProTools.

My weapons of choice would actually be keyboards and MIDI if my Amiga hard drive hadn't totally died (I really miss Bars n Pipes). I use Tracktion and a mountain of freeware plugins these days.
Old 28 February 2008, 09:10   #3
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Top man
Old 28 February 2008, 22:08   #4
PaulyQ

Fruity Loops 7 is the dogs danglies..... use it to make my tunes. I use it as it is more like a tracker than anything else I've used so was easy to get used to. it has a really easy learning curve and then once you dig under the bonnet it just gets better.

Will send you a PM with further details bud!!
Old 29 February 2008, 00:26   #5
JumpingJackson

Funny you guys mention this. I am heading the other way and getting some Amiga trackers to create chiptune.
Old 29 February 2008, 00:33   #6
PaulyQ

@Neonbible...

no need, get yourself FL7 and then download Quadrasid VST... can do chiptune sounds a treat as can Vanguard VST.

@FromWithin:

Logic (Mac only) ............... nah, there is still a PC version(5.5.1 was the last release I know of), it's just getting on a bit now
Old 29 February 2008, 01:27   #7
ami_junkie

Renoise might be worthwhile

I would recommend checking www.renoise.com, this a great tracker made for those of us who grew up with the Amiga trackers but now want to use that knowledge for professional tunes. This software is great and has been used for several commercial tunes already. Cheers, Timo

Old 29 February 2008, 21:06   #8
JumpingJackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulyQ View Post
@Neonbible...

no need, get yourself FL7 and then download Quadrasid VST... can do chiptune sounds a treat as can Vanguard VST.
I already have FL7! and I agree its an awesome app.

However like Im said Im going backwards and working with old skool applications.

The problem with FL7 is that it doesnt have a tracker interface which can be amazingly fast with the keyboard. FL7 et al are good for MIDI recording but thats not what Im working on.

Im going to try Protracker.
Old 29 February 2008, 22:29   #9
FromWithin
Music lord

Try Renoise like ami_junkie suggested. It's a "proper" tracker. It's very good indeed.
Old 01 March 2008, 00:19   #10
PaulyQ

Renoise is good. Accepted!!

FL7 is MIDI enabled, doesn't mean it is a MIDI recorder(that means it would just record MIDI notes) not on your nelly fella, it's a full on music app with VST/DXi support that just happens to support MIDI. Not trying to throw my music at you but try http://v7music.com/artists/bands/6/audio.php Quantum Flux is my artist name. Have a listen to a few of the songs and then tell me that is MIDI recording (I'm not splitting hairs, just want to make a point about MIDI recording and music creation so everybody is clear. They are free to download. For your info.... there isn't ONE hardware synth used in ANY of them tunes!! For me MIDI recording is music along the lines of the early PC games and/or something along the likes of Wing Commander 1.

Does Renoise support re-wire? If so you could link in FL7 and ReBirth/Reason as well. Would make a formidable combo of you really want to go "tracker".

IMHO a tracker is great, a sequencer is better. Trackers make more work in this day and age in my opinion.
Old 01 March 2008, 01:01   #11
spiff
Oh noes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromWithin View Post
K. I use Tracktion and a mountain of freeware plugins these days.
Heey, so you're the other guy that uses Tracktion!

Since the topic is PC music, I might as well ask here. I've been trying to find a soft synth that can reproduce the "beepy/flutish" sound from Depeche modes, everything counts. It can be heard the chorus. Has anyone got an idea of what it is, or how to configure it?

I'm pretty sure that the original synth used is some OPL4 or DX7 synth. But all the demos available all have "proper" instruments simulated not the classic computerized sound.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Everything Counts (Reprise).zip (184.6 KB, 234 views)

Last edited by spiff; 01 March 2008 at 11:24.
Old 01 March 2008, 01:45   #12
PaulyQ

Hmmm...

sounds like a fairly simple sine wave, very possibly a OPL4, doubt it is a DX7, is a bit thin and also a bit early for a full digi synth, that sounds more organic and analogue(it is like a thin moog so possibly a mini moog which they used a lot). Don't forget, at this time they had moved into samplers such as the EMU 2 and 2+ at this time so it could even be a sample. Doubt it though.
Old 01 March 2008, 02:14   #13
JumpingJackson

Pauly I am fully aware of what FL7 is. I am a fully registered customer, wouldnt pay for it if I didnt know what it was. Im just using Amiga bacause I am insterested in chiptune using old skool trackers and sounds.

A sequencer is not always better and this wast the point I was making. If iwas creating more organic music, I would use FL7. But I find trackers so much better for laying down drums and applying glitchy micro timed effects.

With a piano roll, you end up having to do a lot of work with the mouse which isn't as fast or accurate.
Old 01 March 2008, 02:24   #14
PaulyQ

@neon... wasn't meaning to be patronising at all mate, just offering a balanced view for other users who may not have used FL7 and still see Fruity Loops as a drum machine. Also... Piano Roll.... rarely use the mouse myself... play the tune via my oxy8 or Korg DSS1 synth and then quantize... sometimes diddle a touch with the mouse but half the time can't be arsed
Old 01 March 2008, 02:25   #15
PaulyQ

@Galahad... you've started a bloody war

LMAO
Old 01 March 2008, 03:44   #16
FromWithin
Music lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff View Post
Heey, so you're the other guy that uses Tracktion!

Since the topic is PC music, I might as well ask here. I've been trying to find a soft synth that can reproduce the "beepy/flutish" sound from Depeche modes, everything counts. It can be heard the chorus. Has anyone got an idea of that it is, or how to configure it?

I'm pretty sure that the original synth used is some OPL4 or DX7 synth. But all the demos available all have "proper" instruments simulated not the classic computerized sound.
It's a semi-square wave. Basically a square wave with rounded edges. You could easily recreate it with a slight low-pass filter on a pure square wave, or with an additive synth adding every odd harmonic at 50% amplitude of the preceeding harmonic until it sounds similar.

Last edited by FromWithin; 01 March 2008 at 03:50.
Old 01 March 2008, 10:52   #17
onkelarie

I myself am an avid FLstudio. It works like a dream when using with a midi controller (using the Yamaha AN1x synth myself). Some work I did recently using FLstudio can be found at http://foem.info/index.php?option=co...=232&Itemid=80 .

A great example of what can be done with Renoise is ForceSupreme. He made numerous releases using Renoise with VST's (more at http://www.forcesupreme.com/ , try his Myspace page for samples of his work).

But in the end it comes all down on which sequencer/tracker works best for you.
Old 01 March 2008, 11:22   #18
spiff
Oh noes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulyQ
sounds like a fairly simple sine wave, very possibly a OPL4, doubt it is a DX7, is a bit thin and also a bit early for a full digi synth
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromWithin View Post
It's a semi-square wave. Basically a square wave with rounded edges. You could easily recreate it with a slight low-pass filter on a pure square wave, or with an additive synth adding every odd harmonic at 50% amplitude of the preceeding harmonic until it sounds similar.
Wow.. back to basics i guess. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 01 March 2008, 15:11   #19
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

What an awesome thread

I would love to use my Amiga for wonderous musical workings again, since I sold off my midi interface my smaller synths (particularly my Korg X5D) have been gathering dust