English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 18 April 2008, 13:46   #1
Junebug

CD32 - Black and White image on S-Video to SCART

Hi All,

I have been trying to connect my CD32 to the SCART input at the back of my TV and cannot get the video to work correctly. I have tried the following:

(1) Used a combination RCA/Video to SCART Cable - Connected the 2 RCA jacks (Red and White) and a composite AV (Yellow) into the CD32 with the SCART cable end into the TV: Result - Stereo sound fine, no picture.

This is the item used: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-Phono-S...8518611&sr=8-1

(2) Used a combination RCA/S-Video to SCART Cable - Connected the 2 RCA jacks (Red and White) and a S-Video (Yellow) cable into the CD32 with the SCART cable end into the TV: Result - Stereo sound fine, black and white picture, with what seems to be interference, a blurring to some colour intermittently which lasts about 1 second every 3 minutes.

This is the item used: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hibaba-Video...8518656&sr=8-4

It is the S-Video route I prefer.

I have tested the SCART box on the TV with a PS2 and Gamecube with no problems, so its either the video aspect of the cable or the S-Video input on the CD32. Has S-Video, as a standard, changed since 1993?

So, has anyone managed to get S-Video working correctly on a CD32 when using a combination S-Video with RCA jaks to SCART cable as the input method to the TV?

I'm still on composite at the moment ;-(

Thanks all.

(I could supply pictures of the black and white TV image, but thats just what it is)

Note: Its not RGB Scart I am interested in here, standard S-Video using a SCART socket is sufficient for me.

Last edited by Junebug; 18 April 2008 at 13:58. Reason: Formatting

Old 18 April 2008, 14:07   #2
TheCorfiot
Amibay Senior Staff

Adapter will not convert S-Video to RGB,

You need to plug it into a S-Video compatible scart socket (usually AV2 and AV1 being RGB), and set your TV's AV mode to AV(x)S mode.

If your TV has only 1 scart socket, I doubt it is S-Video compatible only RGB,

Do you have a front panel S-Video Socket on the TV (AV3)?
Old 18 April 2008, 14:08   #3
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Junebug

Hello there,

Welcome to the EAB, theres plenty of mischief to get upto around here, so when you get time, please kick back, relax and enjoy the retr0-licious yummyness that this board provides

now, lets look at your problem fellow forum chummie

I have to admit i am little confused, so lets see if we can beat my brain into shape.

Composite is a 2 wire lead generally terminated in a yellow phono plug where as SVideo on the other hand is a 4 wire lead that is terminated as a 4 pin mini-din that is usually black.

the Red and White are stereo sound L/R

closer look of SVideo

If you are receiving a B&W picture from composite / SVideo this could mean one or two things.
  • For some obscure reason your cd32 could be broadcasting in NTSC on a PAL monitor / tv
  • The Composite Encoder has failed and need to be by-passed or replaced.

now to fix the first one, there must be something that forcing the Amiga to boot to NTSC, that i am afraid i cannot help with.

the other on the other hand, is quite simple i will post a how to after dinner
Old 18 April 2008, 14:14   #4
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Z-man, my NTSC CD32 machines & for that matter every other NTSC device (VCRs, etc) I've owned before don't seem to do the black & white thing when displayed on a PAL TV (RF, RCA or S-Video connections).

It is my understanding that it only happens the other way around, that is when connecting a PAL output device to an NTSC monitor (that & scrolling screens).

Maybe I've just been lucky or whatever, but just trying to help clear that option so you guys can get to the root of the problem

PZ.

*edit* - Just to clarify, yes, the picture gets "cropped", loosing some top & bottom portions (as would be expected)...just commenting on the B&W thingo...

Last edited by Fingerlickin_B; 18 April 2008 at 14:19.
Old 18 April 2008, 14:18   #5
TheCorfiot
Amibay Senior Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerlickin_B View Post
Z-man, my NTSC CD32 machines & for that matter every other NTSC device (VCRs, etc) I've owned before don't seem to do the black & white thing when displayed on a PAL TV (RF, RCA or S-Video connections).

It is my understanding that it only happens the other way around, that is when connecting a PAL output device to an NTSC monitor (that & scrolling screens).

Maybe I've just been lucky or whatever, but just trying to help clear that option so you guys can get to the root of the problem

PZ.
@fingers, You are Bang on European or PAL TV's have been NTSC capable for many years now.
The US & Japan however feel NTSC is far superier, and do not include PAL compatibility.
Old 18 April 2008, 14:31   #6
Junebug

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorfiot View Post
Adapter will not convert S-Video to RGB,

You need to plug it into a S-Video compatible scart socket (usually AV2 and AV1 being RGB), and set your TV's AV mode to AV(x)S mode.

If your TV has only 1 scart socket, I doubt it is S-Video compatible only RGB,

Do you have a front panel S-Video Socket on the TV (AV3)?
I have 1 SCART socket on my TV. I can confirm (with PS2 and Gamecube when using RGB SCART cables) that RGB works fine. I do not have a S-Video input on the front of my TV. Only 2 A/V inputs (Yellow and Black). From what you are saying I must only have AV1 (RGB only). So the Balck and White picture is due to partial encoding or would there be no picture at all. Its the Black and White picture aspect which is confusing me.

Old 18 April 2008, 14:39   #7
Junebug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
@Junebug

Hello there,

Welcome to the EAB, theres plenty of mischief to get upto around here, so when you get time, please kick back, relax and enjoy the retr0-licious yummyness that this board provides

now, lets look at your problem fellow forum chummie

I have to admit i am little confused, so lets see if we can beat my brain into shape.

Composite is a 2 wire lead generally terminated in a yellow phono plug where as SVideo on the other hand is a 4 wire lead that is terminated as a 4 pin mini-din that is usually black.

the Red and White are stereo sound L/R

closer look of SVideo

If you are receiving a B&W picture from composite / SVideo this could mean one or two things.
  • For some obscure reason your cd32 could be broadcasting in NTSC on a PAL monitor / tv
  • The Composite Encoder has failed and need to be by-passed or replaced.
now to fix the first one, there must be something that forcing the Amiga to boot to NTSC, that i am afraid i cannot help with.

the other on the other hand, is quite simple i will post a how to after dinner
I bought the CD32 in Sept 1993, I sure its PAL - but if you know where I can check? The model number is 513515. I can play it fine using the RF lead, as well as the Yellow A/V cable plugged into the yellow jak on the front of my TV.

I would like to use S-Video for better image quality though - if possible of course.

Old 18 April 2008, 14:40   #8
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

Quote:
Its the Black and White picture aspect which is confusing me.
S-Video is a signal type, as well as being a connector type. The receiving device needs to be expecting a S-Video signal, not a video composite signal (or any other signal type except S-Video), or else the picture will be black and white.

Steve.
Old 18 April 2008, 14:43   #9
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Hold both mouse buttons and start the machine...it will take you to a menu.

Select "display options".

If PAL is highlighted as default, then it is a PAL machine...if NTSC is highlighted as default, then it is an NTSC machine.

PZ.
Old 18 April 2008, 14:44   #10
Junebug

Using This...

This is the cable I am using: The White and Red RCA cables are going into the appropriate Red and White sockets on my CD32. The 4 pin S-Video is going into the S-Video socket on the CD32 and the SCART part is going into my TV.<br><br>

The Yellow A/V socket in the CD32 is not being used.

Old 18 April 2008, 14:48   #11
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Stupid question on my part here...

Is it a SCART-to-component cable, or actually a componet-to-SCART cable?

PZ.
Old 18 April 2008, 14:49   #12
TheCorfiot
Amibay Senior Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junebug View Post
I have 1 SCART socket on my TV. I can confirm (with PS2 and Gamecube when using RGB SCART cables) that RGB works fine. I do not have a S-Video input on the front of my TV. Only 2 A/V inputs (Yellow and Black). From what you are saying I must only have AV1 (RGB only). So the Balck and White picture is due to partial encoding or would there be no picture at all. Its the Black and White picture aspect which is confusing me.

Black & White is due to no encoding taking place.

S-Video consists of separate Luma (Black & white) info & Chroma (clour) info on separate conductors, you are simply inputting Luma into a composite input...
Sorry I don't think your TV has S-Video capability,
Check your manufacturer & model number on the web to find the TV's Specs to confirm this.
Old 18 April 2008, 14:54   #13
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Well, not a total loss...he can just do the RGB mod to his CD32 & problem solved!

PZ.
Old 18 April 2008, 14:57   #14
TheCorfiot
Amibay Senior Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerlickin_B View Post
Well, not a total loss...he can just do the RGB mod to his CD32 & problem solved!

PZ.

Even Better Fingers
Old 18 April 2008, 15:02   #15
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Give Australasia RGB!!!!!!!!
Old 18 April 2008, 15:09   #16
Junebug

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorfiot View Post
Black & White is due to no encoding taking place.

S-Video consists of separate Luma (Black & white) info & Chroma (clour) info on separate conductors, you are simply inputting Luma into a composite input...
Sorry I don't think your TV has S-Video capability,
Check your manufacturer & model number on the web to find the TV's Specs to confirm this.

I fear you may be right - I will try on the other TVs in the house, and check the TV specs on Sonys site.

Humbug...