English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 31 May 2017, 06:32   #1
Toryglen-boy

Vampire II non acceleration issues

Howdy

Got my Vampire II today for my A600, having some issues with it, like random lock up and freezing, but the biggest issue is, it WONT accelerate WHDLoad games.

If i run say, Frontier from WHDLoad its abysmal, like running it on a stock A500, if i run it from Floppy, its like grease lightening, running ADoom etc, and its working, as its really nippy, but WHDLoad wont use the Vampire. Is there anything that has to be done? tool types etc?
Old 31 May 2017, 07:02   #2
Amiga1992

Whdload doesn't accelerate games, actually it could make them run slower in certain accelerated configs and in most cases it slows them down so the faster CPU doesn't break compatibility.
(Brute, quick and dirty explanation, but mostly true)
Old 31 May 2017, 07:12   #3
Toryglen-boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Whdload doesn't accelerate games, actually it could make them run slower in certain accelerated configs and in most cases it slows them down so the faster CPU doesn't break compatibility.
(Brute, quick and dirty explanation, but mostly true)
thanks for that.

When running games on the A600 with the Furia EC020 its accelerated them?

Old 31 May 2017, 07:16   #4
Amiga1992

No, same with all accelerators. Whdload will actually try to slow down things in most cases. Games freak out with faster CPUs. But Frontier should run smoother, try running the regular HD installed version and not the whdload version, I found issues running it too and have stuck to the special edition someone here at EAB did. You just copy it to the HD and play.
Old 31 May 2017, 07:20   #5
Toryglen-boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
No, same with all accelerators. Whdload will actually try to slow down things in most cases. Games freak out with faster CPUs. But Frontier should run smoother, try running the regular HD installed version and not the whdload version, I found issues running it too and have stuck to the special edition someone here at EAB did. You just copy it to the HD and play.
if i run the WHDLoad version on the CF drive, its like running it on a stock A500. if i run it from the floppy, its like grease lightening smooth.
Old 31 May 2017, 07:34   #6
wawa

there is some issue with frontier. ive heard complaints like that before. the question is, if this is isolated case of one application or soem wider phenomenon.
Old 31 May 2017, 07:48   #7
Toryglen-boy

ok, done some digging, and apparently its "turtle mode" disabling the cache's. TBH, its not just Frontier, Flashback and a few others do it to.

http://www.apollo-core.com/knowledge...=4045&z=M9Jy61
Old 31 May 2017, 07:50   #8
EzdineG

Isn't there some similar observation with games such as Zool? There is an incredible amount of slowdown when run from WHDLoad, but running the CD32 version is butter smooth.

At least this is what I've heard, my only experience is the WHDLoad version.
Old 31 May 2017, 07:51   #9
Toryglen-boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzdineG View Post
Isn't there some similar observation with games such as Zool? There is an incredible amount of slowdown when run from WHDLoad, but running the CD32 version is butter smooth.

At least this is what I've heard, my only experience is the WHDLoad version.
yeah, several games i am playing on the V2, are at stock speeds. its kinda worrying, as i bought it to speed games up.
Old 31 May 2017, 09:43   #10
Daedalus

There are patches for Frontier that let it work fine, exit to OS etc. without WHDLoad. Perhaps that's the way to go instead - lots of games can be installed to hard drive without WHDLoad.

Many games are also locked to the framerate, which means no amount of CPU power would speed them up, but 3D games should get a massive boost.
Old 31 May 2017, 09:43   #11
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Turtle mode is activated by disabling the caches. If WHDLoad does that it will be slow. The latest version of WHDLoad does not detect the Vampire as a 68020 so make sure you have that version.
Old 31 May 2017, 09:53   #12
Toryglen-boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow View Post
Turtle mode is activated by disabling the caches. If WHDLoad does that it will be slow. The latest version of WHDLoad does not detect the Vampire as a 68020 so make sure you have that version.
thanks for that, downloading it now.
Old 31 May 2017, 09:56   #13
Toryglen-boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
There are patches for Frontier that let it work fine, exit to OS etc. without WHDLoad. Perhaps that's the way to go instead - lots of games can be installed to hard drive without WHDLoad.

Many games are also locked to the framerate, which means no amount of CPU power would speed them up, but 3D games should get a massive boost.
Hi mate, thanks for chimin' in.

Yeah, i know some stuff is capped, but as my old man used to say, "if the cap fits ... you wont get her pregnant". not that it matters, gave some Flight sims a go, as i thought they would be more demanding, and in truth watching the demo flights, they are far more fluid.

If only i could get SysInfo to run, there is some bollox about patching it with spatch to not use an FPU, but as usual, there isnt alot of other info.
Old 31 May 2017, 10:49   #14
Daedalus

Fingers crossed the updated version of WHDLoad helps you out.

I'm sure there are patched versions floating around that you could just run, perhaps someone else who has already done the patching could upload it... Anyone?

As I've said elsewhere, if only the Vampire identified itself as a fast 68030, we wouldn't have these issues with WHDLoad and SysInfo.
Old 31 May 2017, 11:04   #15
Toryglen-boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Fingers crossed the updated version of WHDLoad helps you out.

I'm sure there are patched versions floating around that you could just run, perhaps someone else who has already done the patching could upload it... Anyone?

As I've said elsewhere, if only the Vampire identified itself as a fast 68030, we wouldn't have these issues with WHDLoad and SysInfo.
tried the new version, as recommended. Stuff is still slow, but games like Uridium are now reporting the CPU as a 68040
Old 31 May 2017, 11:27   #16
grond

IIRC you don't need any patched versions of anything, you just need to set the right tooltypes in WHDload. If you have something like "NOCACHE", WHDload will disable the caches which puts the 080 into "turtle mode" which is roughly the equivalent of an unaccelerated A1200. This is a feature, not a bug. The turtle mode improves compatibility with games that just don't run well on too fast CPUs. There may be WHDload slaves that are paranoid and just disable caches without any need, though. I'm not sure whether Frontier is one of them. In any case the fact that Frontier runs perfectly from floppy shows that it is not a V2 problem as such. Plus you don't need any WHDload slave for Frontier, just copy the executable from the floppy to the harddisk and run it from there. It is harddisk installable.
Old 31 May 2017, 11:30   #17
Toryglen-boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
IIRC you don't need any patched versions of anything, you just need to set the right tooltypes in WHDload. If you have something like "NOCACHE", WHDload will disable the caches which puts the 080 into "turtle mode" which is roughly the equivalent of an unaccelerated A1200. This is a feature, not a bug. The turtle mode improves compatibility with games that just don't run well on too fast CPUs. There may be WHDload slaves that are paranoid and just disable caches without any need, though. I'm not sure whether Frontier is one of them. In any case the fact that Frontier runs perfectly from floppy shows that it is not a V2 problem as such. Plus you don't need any WHDload slave for Frontier, just copy the executable from the floppy to the harddisk and run it from there. It is harddisk installable.
many thanks
Old 31 May 2017, 11:53   #18
AMIGASYSTEM

For me Amiga With high expansion 060 for example it should speed up WHDLoad games, you have to use the right expansion
Old 31 May 2017, 12:59   #19
ShK

Here's a quick test with HDD version of Frontier through Indivision ECS:

http://apollo-accelerators.com/files/shk/Frontier.mp4
Old 31 May 2017, 13:34   #20
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
For me Amiga With high expansion 060 for example it should speed up WHDLoad games, you have to use the right expansion
How would you like say Lionheart to be sped up? At least 90% of all Amiga games don't speed up in any way with a faster processor and that's how it is supposed to be.