English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.AmigaOS

Old 14 February 2022, 13:16   #1
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Issue with AtapiMagic on 3.2.1

Hiya,

I have burned a 3.2.1 ROM on my A4000D, and I am trying to add AtapiMagic to get my IDE splitter to work.

I have got the following in my Startup-sequence and I have edited kinda like the readme suggests:

Version exec.library 47 >NIL:
If Warn
LoadModule LIBS:Modules/AtapiMagic L:System-Startup ROMUPDATE

This is also reported on Individual Computers' forums as working by user robinsonb5.

Except it seems the IF is never run on my system, probably because of the fact that I have a physical 3.2.1 ROM?

As such I have tried adding it before SetPatch like this:

LoadModule LIBS:Modules/AtapiMagic

And I can see the Amiga rebooting twice (clear sign of LoadModule working) but then it just gets stuck on a black screen.

Anyone had any luck with AtapiMagic on 3.2.1?

Thanks!
Old 14 February 2022, 17:21   #2
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Have you tried going into early startup and using the option to step through the startup-sequence to see exactly where things go wrong?
Old 14 February 2022, 19:05   #3
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigolemon View Post
Have you tried going into early startup and using the option to step through the startup-sequence to see exactly where things go wrong?
Yep, my issue happens on the LoadModule line. The screen just goes dark and nothing happens.
Old 15 February 2022, 15:04   #4
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Had a play about with my 1200 today and can't reproduce, but then I'm loading 3.2.1 via LoadModule on 3.2 ROMS.

You could try adding a NOREBOOT on the LoadModule line to confirm I suppose?
Old 17 February 2022, 22:45   #5
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Had a play about with my 1200 today and can't reproduce, but then I'm loading 3.2.1 via LoadModule on 3.2 ROMS.

You could try adding a NOREBOOT on the LoadModule line to confirm I suppose?
With NOREBOOT it just doesn't load the module, so it works normally, but I can see with LoadModule list that it's empty.

Isn't NOREBOOT used when something else triggers a reboot? Nothing else triggers a reboot in my S-S since I have a 3.2.1 ROM.

I have also tried burning a 3.2.1 custom ROM (with AtapiMagic) with Remus but something went wrong with the burning, even if the ROM seems to be working fine on WinUAE... Once. Then it stops booting? Not sure what is going wrong here...
Old 18 February 2022, 14:59   #6
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

That's really odd, and yes - just suggested NOREBOOT to see if the startup continued normally at that point.

What do you have connected to your IDE splitter? Is is possible something on the second channel causes issues after it's activated?
Old 18 February 2022, 18:16   #7
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
What do you have connected to your IDE splitter? Is is possible something on the second channel causes issues after it's activated?
Usual HD on first channel (set as Master) and usual CDROM drive on second channel (set as Slave), but...
The same happens even without the IDE splitter. I am not sure if it's supposed to black-screen if you don't have a IDE splitter and AtapiMagic is still loaded, but I suppose that's not the case.
Old 18 February 2022, 23:56   #8
Swe_Kryten2x4b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post
Usual HD on first channel (set as Master) and usual CDROM drive on second channel (set as Slave), but...
The same happens even without the IDE splitter. I am not sure if it's supposed to black-screen if you don't have a IDE splitter and AtapiMagic is still loaded, but I suppose that's not the case.
Hm, very odd. I have a custom 3.2.1 in my A1200 with atapi magic in it. There is a 4-way splitter installed but as of now I have only hdds attached so I can't really tell whether it works or not.

I don't get a black screen though and I can see atapimagic 47.1 in the residents list of Scout.
Old 19 February 2022, 09:17   #9
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swe_Kryten2x4b View Post
Hm, very odd. I have a custom 3.2.1 in my A1200 with atapi magic in it. There is a 4-way splitter installed but as of now I have only hdds attached so I can't really tell whether it works or not.

I don't get a black screen though and I can see atapimagic 47.1 in the residents list of Scout.
Did you do anything special with Remus? I dumped my ROM modules with RomSplit then I just loaded the 47.102 A4000 build file (which came with Remus) and added AtapiMagic to it, then selected the split and swap option in Remus and clicked Compile. I then burned both ROMs as usual with my TL866II. And it just black screens The same happens with LoadModule.
Old 19 February 2022, 10:47   #10
Swe_Kryten2x4b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post
Did you do anything special with Remus? I dumped my ROM modules with RomSplit then I just loaded the 47.102 A4000 build file (which came with Remus) and added AtapiMagic to it, then selected the split and swap option in Remus and clicked Compile. I then burned both ROMs as usual with my TL866II. And it just black screens The same happens with LoadModule.
Not that I recall...rom split and adding the 3.2.1 files plus atapimagic as well as the blizzkick modules I wanted. That's it. Just make sure exec is first in the list.

I don't need to use the split and swap option since I flash the normal image into my accellerator.
Old 21 February 2022, 21:01   #11
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swe_Kryten2x4b View Post
Not that I recall...rom split and adding the 3.2.1 files plus atapimagic as well as the blizzkick modules I wanted. That's it. Just make sure exec is first in the list.

I don't need to use the split and swap option since I flash the normal image into my accellerator.
Welp, I forgot to double the ROM. Now it's "working" but I get the same issue I get with LoadModule. If my HD is connected (with the splitter or without), it blackscreens. If nothing is connected, it gets to the Kickstart screen.

Looks like 3.2.1 really breaks it?