English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.UAE Wishlist

Old 14 June 2004, 13:08   #1
Medvind

No LHA support in WinUAE?

How come WinUAE doesn't support LHA? Or have I overlooked something?

ZIP is an ok compression format, but it's going out of style with RAR taking over and all. And with LHA beeing the main compression format of the Amiga, it should at least be supported for reading, like with ZIP's. Yeah, TOSEC uses ZIP's, but still, I'm not a fan of TOSEC and would much rather have my ADF's packed inside LHA's. If I then want to transfer it to my Amiga I don't have to convert it into another format.

Maybe I'm just beeing to lengthy here...
Old 14 June 2004, 14:20   #2
mtb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl4desinger/IND

ZIP is an ok compression format, but it's going out of style with RAR taking over and all. And with LHA beeing the main compression format of the Amiga, it should at least be supported for reading, like with ZIP's. Yeah, TOSEC uses ZIP's, but still, I'm not a fan of TOSEC and would much rather have my ADF's packed inside LHA's. If I then want to transfer it to my Amiga I don't have to convert it into another format.

Maybe I'm just beeing to lengthy here...
Well, lha isn't used for adf usually. It's still patented and it compress less than gz or zip.

Rar isn't free too, and so i would choose 7z as the format of choice for compressing stuff ( best ratio ), but unfortunatly 7z is for now a windows only format, even if it will be ported to other platforms soon.

Also for amiga you can use infozip or gunzip to uncompress things.
Old 14 June 2004, 17:01   #3
D-Dan
AMD powered UAE

Quote:
You've overlooked something ;o) lha was never a standard part of the AmigaOS, but is a 3rd party utility. It was actually superceded on the Amiga by LZX some time ago, but nevertheless, as you say, it is still heavily used.

Have a look at Aminet for any lzh or lha archiver (include "archiver" in the search) and get whichever you fancy.

Alternatively, VoodooX and UnArc (distributed with OS3.5/3.9) will use XADMaster to unarchive both types.
Old 15 June 2004, 01:26   #4
Medvind

Thanks for the info guys.

I guess I'll just have to compromize. Zip do seem to be the prefered format even for old Amiga sceners. Or maybe I'm wrong again, I do know most original releases were released in DMS format, no? I just want to store the games in a proper fashion, that's my main goal.