English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Amiga Forever

Old 13 January 2016, 02:08   #1
waltc
Martian Anachronism

Amiga Forever 2016...any good?

I have 2014 and don't mind paying $20 to upgrade to 2016, as I like the way the new interface looks and the option changes...but just thought I'd ask.

For some reason the Cloanto site would not accept my Pay Pal account--which is US-based, so maybe that's why. Still odd, though, as GOG works fine with the same account.

Any feedback is appreciated, and also any info on where to buy 2016 if I can't get it from the Cloanto site. Thanks!
Old 13 January 2016, 07:12   #2
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Just download it from somewhere, it is an illegal product anyway.
Old 13 January 2016, 10:04   #3
Aegis
Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
Care to back that up with some facts? From what I've seen Cloanto have gone out of their way to ensure AF is properly licensed (the CSPPC ROM issue notwithstanding).

@waltc: It's a nice update - the UI is much improved and it integrates with C64 Forever which is good if you use it. The content's largely unchanged (some updates to Workbench 3.X though I think). The 'big ticket' change is PPC support that works well if you follow Cloanto's guide and the advice of some of the users around here. The shared folder option is handy for getting stuff to or from the Amiga emulation too.

It's not essential if you know your way around WinUAE's settings (as I do) but I like AF all the same and I'm glad Cloanto is continuing to update it and keep it current - I think that's worth supporting.
Old 13 January 2016, 14:02   #4
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Quote:
That is a very irresponsible statement for a commercially sold product. Shame on you.

What's next EasyADF?
Old 13 January 2016, 14:37   #5
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

@Aegis:

http://www.amiga-news.de/en/news/AN-...-00046-EN.html
Old 13 January 2016, 14:41   #6
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
You should read what you post:

Quote:
Cloanto provided amiga-news.de staff with excerpts from the mail exchange between Battilana and Schmidt from 2014. A short look at the statements from both parties in these mails suggests that a simple misunderstanding is the cause of the problem,
In short: no problem here, let us move on.
Old 13 January 2016, 14:45   #7
ptyerman

Quote:
So because of this:
Quote:
A short look at the statements from both parties in these mails suggests that a simple misunderstanding is the cause of the problem, but neither party was interested in discussing details.
You tell some one to download it illegally? That's very big and Amiga spirited of you!
Old 13 January 2016, 14:53   #8
idrougge

It's just UAE with some romz. Not worth paying for.
Old 13 January 2016, 14:54   #9
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Lets not go down this route again
Old 13 January 2016, 15:09   #10
ptyerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
It's just UAE with some romz. Not worth paying for.
Well some of us aren't tight wads and will pay for some things to help support our hobby.
The money made from Amiga Forever helps to pay for the ROM and Workbench improvements we have seen lately!
Old 13 January 2016, 15:18   #11
Aegis
Gentleman

I'd suggest that anyone that thinks Cloanto isn't applying their due diligence regarding licensing takes a look at the Amiga Forever documentation (and this is just for Amiga software, the complete list is *much* longer):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloanto
Amiga Software

The Amiga ROM and operating system files are Copyright © 1981-1993 Cloanto and its licensors. Some operating system files and enhancements have been licensed for use in Amiga Forever by their respective original developers and/or publishers. Amiga Explorer, AmiToRTF, CheckIconSize, CopyIcon, DeviceUnit, DirDiff, GetAFC, GetHostVar, GetIconPos, Personal Paint, Personal Write, SetIconPos, Shutdown, WriteCheck and all the individual files stored in Amiga Forever are Copyright © 1987-2015 Cloanto, unless otherwise indicated in the files or in this document. Parts are licensed from third parties. The Kara color fonts and animated fonts are Copyright © 1989-1992 Kara Computer Graphics, distributed under license; extensions and modifications are Copyright © 1995 Cloanto.

The ram-handler 44.24 software update is Copyright © 1998, 2002 Thomas Richter and Copyright © 2005 Jeff Weeks, distributed under license.

The 68060.library and mmu.library files are Copyright © 1998-2009 The MMU Library Development Group and Thomas Richter, distributed under license.

The Dialoga ROM and diagnostic system are Copyright © 1993-1997 Logica snc, distributed under license.

The new Installer icon design is Copyright © 1994 Cloanto.

The HP DeskJet drivers are Copyright © 1985-1993 Cloanto.

Commodore Amiga Basic is Copyright © 1985, 1986 Microsoft Corporation, used under license.

The Amiga Narrator and Translator software is Copyright © 1984 Mark Barton and Joseph Katz and Copyright © 1985-2002 SoftVoice, Inc., distributed under license.

FastFonts is Copyright © 1987 by Charlie Heath, distributed under license.

LoadMonDrvs is Copyright © 1997-1999 by Stephan Rupprecht, distributed under license.

The Picasso96 RTG software is Copyright © 1994-1999 Alexander Kneer and Tobias Abt, distributed under license.

The Picasso IV firmware is Copyright © 1996-1998 Village Tronic Marketing GmbH, distributed under license.

The UAEGfx Picasso96 monitor file is Copyright © 1997-2001 Brian D. King, distributed under license.

The AHI audio system is Copyright © 1994-2004 Martin Blom, used under license. AHI versions 5.0 and higher are licensed under the GNU LGPL Version 2.

IDEfix is Copyright © 1993-1997, 2003, 2004 Elaborate Bytes, Oliver Kastl, distributed under license.

The Cyberstorm/Blizzard PPC firmware is Copyright © 1996-2002 Ralph Schmidt, distributed under license.

Photogenics 1.2 SE is Copyright © 1994-1995 Paul Nolan, distributed under license.

Ping is Copyright © 1991-1994 Network Solutions Development Inc., distributed under license.

The WHDLoad ROM RTB files are Copyright © 1992, 1993, 2003, 2007 Pavel Troller, distributed under license.

The WHDLoad software and support files are copyright © 1995-2009 Bert Jahn, distributed under license.

The BMP picture DataType is Copyright © 1995-2003 Gunther Nikl, distributed under license.

The Personal Paint Icons I/O library is Copyright © 2000, 2003 Elmar Plischke, distributed under license.

FreeWheel is Copyright © 1999, 2000 Alastair M. Robinson, distributed under license.

AWeb is Copyright © 2002 Yvon Rozijn, distributed under license of the author and under the AWeb Public License (APL, included in the original distribution archive).

AmigaAMP is Copyright © 1997-2000, 2003 Thomas Wenzel, distributed under license.

MSH is Copyright © 1989-1997 Olaf "Rhialto" Seibert, distributed under license.

ToggleClick is Copyright © 1991-1993 Sebastiano Vigna, distributed under license.

TurboText is Copyright © 1990-1994 Martin Taillefer, distributed under license.

KingCON is Copyright © 1993, 1994 David Larsson, distributed under license.

ToolManager is Copyright © 1990-1996 Stefan Becker, distributed under license.

ReqTools is Copyright © 1991-1994 Nico François, Copyright © 1995-1997 Magnus Holmgren and Copyright © 1998-2002 The AROS Development Team, distributed under license.

PowerSnap is Copyright © 1991-1994 Nico François, distributed under license.

The AsyncIO library is Copyright © 1997 Magnus Holmgren, distributed under license.

LhA 1.38 (patched version) is Copyright © 1991, 1992 Stefan Boberg, Copyright © 2000 Detlef Würkner and Copyright © 2011 Michael Ness, distributed under license.

LhA 2.15 is Copyright © 1991-1994 Stefan Boberg, Copyright © 1998-2000 Jim Cooper and David Tritscher and Copyright © 2004-2006, 2011 Sven Ottemann, distributed under license.

Directory Opus is Copyright © 1995-2000 Greg Perry, GPSoftware, ACN 010 794 359, distributed under license.

SimpleFind is Copyright © 1997-2000 Sebastian Bauer, distributed under license. Renamed to Find with permission.

CycleToMenu is Copyright © 1993, 1994 Federico Giannici, distributed under license.

ClassAct is Copyright © 1995-1999 Christopher Aldi, Mark Thomas, Osma Ahvenlampi, Petter Nilsen and Timothy Aston, distributed under license.

NewIcons is Copyright © 1993-1999 Ariel Magnum, Eric Sauvageau, Nicola Salmoria, Philip A. Vedovatti and Roger McVey, distributed under license.

GlowIcons is Copyright © 1998, 1999 Matt Chaput, distributed under license.

PowerIcons is Copyright © 2003 Elena Novaretti, distributed under license.

The MagicWB Workbench color palette is Copyright © 1992-1998 Martin R. Huttenloher, distributed under license.

Magic User Interface (MUI, shareware version) is Copyright © 1992-1997 Stefan Stuntz, distributed under license.

FullPalette is Copyright © 1997-1999 Massimo Tantignone, distributed under license.

All GlowIcons icons are Copyright © 1998 Matt Chaput, unless specified otherwise in the following. def_Disk.info and def_Drawer.info Copyright © 2000 Thomas Peterseim and Oliver Tacke. FullPalette.info Copyright © 2000 Jaako Oranen. In the Work/Software directory Personal Paint def_AppIcon.info, def_Animation.info, def_AnimBrush.info, def_Stencil.info, PPaint.info (application icon), Personal Paint settings files icons, Personal Write def_AppIcon.info, Picasso96.info, TurboText.info, TTX.info, DirDiff.info (directory icon), DirDiff.info (application icon), AmiToRTF.info (directory icon), AmiToRTF.info (application icon), ClassAct.info, EmuControl.info (directory icon), EmuControl.info (application icon), AExplorer.info (application icon) and Amiga Forever distribution medium Disk.info are Copyright © 2000 Thomas Peterseim and Oliver Tacke, the AHI, AmigaAMP, AWeb, IDEfix, MUI, PowerSnap, ReqTools and SimpleFind icons are Copyright © 2003 Oliver Tacke, while all other icons except for the ARexx icon files and TTXCalc.info are © 1999 Thomas Peterseim and Oliver Tacke. All GlowIcons icon images used under license. Icon position and size adjustments and other modifications Copyright © 2000-2007 Cloanto.

Photo CD code may be included under license of Eastman Kodak Company.

The PostScript Language is Copyright © 1985-1990 Adobe Systems Incorporated, used under license.
Old 13 January 2016, 15:33   #12
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

I would like to add that I contacted Mike regarding the A3000 KS1.4 needing Motherboard ram to work.

He replied promptly, and quickly resolved the issue, and released 2016.0.24.0 with the fix.

Excellent customer service
Old 13 January 2016, 15:39   #13
Aegis
Gentleman

Yes - also fixed in .24 was an AF bug that prevented OS 4.1 from using Zorro 3 RAM as swap (you still can't use more than 768MB but it's a welcome fix).

.25's on the beta now too
Old 13 January 2016, 15:41   #14
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Always room for improvement. I bet you don't get that service with an illegal download
Old 13 January 2016, 16:36   #15
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptyerman View Post
Well some of us aren't tight wads and will pay for some things to help support our hobby.
The money made from Amiga Forever helps to pay for the ROM and Workbench improvements we have seen lately!
No it doesn't. All of it is based on stuff previously published on Aminet or on EAB.
Old 13 January 2016, 16:55   #16
ptyerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
No it doesn't. All of it is based on stuff previously published on Aminet or on EAB.
No it isn't. You can't download the new ROM chips that are being stocked and sold at various Amiga retailers.
End of the day, it's not up to you, or me, who buys Amiga Forever or who doesn't. That is the freedom of choice! You want to be a freeloader all your life, go ahead.
Old 13 January 2016, 17:09   #17
idrougge

I can't download the ROM chips, but I can make them myself, legally. Just like Cloanto did.

No, it is not up to me who pays Cloanto each year for the pleasure of running WinUAE, but that was never what I wrote. I answered the initial question. Do note, however, that the real freeloaders here are Cloanto who repackage a freely available emulator and freely available OS patches, without which they wouldn't have anything to sell.

And I think you owe me an apology for calling me a freeloader. I've paid for all my software, thank you very much.
Old 13 January 2016, 17:19   #18
ptyerman

Actually, Cloanto can make them legally because they hold licenses to the various software components used. Anyone else is not likely to be prosecuted or held accountable but nonetheless, they are breaking copyright law. But, that is a minefield which I don't want to get into, it's never-ending and mind exploding.
Old 13 January 2016, 18:51   #19
Aegis
Gentleman

Well, the Kickstart ROMs and the Workbench disks aren't 'freely available' - they're someone's IP - in this case Cloanto's. If you rip your own ROMs from your own Amigas and use the Workbench disks that came with them then yeah - AF might not be for you.

If you don't have an Amiga then Amiga Forever's a pretty inexpensive way to get up and running - it also comes with a bunch of interesting content. Also, not everyone has the knowledge necessary to get WinUAE up and running - AF makes it as easy as using a media player.

Cloanto's done a lot over the years to keep the Amiga relevant and in the public eye and I can't imagine they've ever made much money from it. I wote to them asking for OS 4.1 support in AF 'cause I wanted to use licensed ROMs/software to do it. And whatever the mixup with Ralph Schmidt, clearly Cloanto contacted him unlike some people who've downloaded the Cyberstorm ROMs to use in WinUAE without a care as to who actually owned them.
Old 13 January 2016, 21:22   #20
waltc
Martian Anachronism

Thanks for everyone's feedback. Yeah, I know I can get stuff without paying someone for it, and that it's fairly easy to do so--but I want to help folks to the extent that I can who are doing a lot of nice work for the Amiga like Toni (may Mehdi Ali roast in the tortures of 1000 hells...) because if nothing else just to let them know how much it's appreciated.

I actually use WinUAE more than anything else, really, and I'm using 3.1 with the 2014 version of AF, when I use AF.

I keep pushing at GOG for them to get involved with either UAE or Cloanto, or preferably both, to start including Amiga games with some of these older titles as some of the Amiga games are far better (Starflight & many more I can't think of atm) than their DOS versions. "Good Old Games" just doesn't seem right without an assortment of Amiga titles. Today's cpu/gpu horsepower can handle the emulations with ease...it seems like a no-brainer.

I always had been under the impression that Cloanto bought up the rights to everything--but someone else owns the rights to AmigaOS 4.1--or do they? I followed the Amiga (last one I had was an A4000 with Toaster/Fastlane Z3...tricked out with almost everything one could buy at the time--Sunrize 24-bit sound card, too, if memory serves--couple of SVHS decks and control interface) through a succession of owners who never did anything with the platform except sit on it--as I'm sure most people here did the same...

Thanks again for the info!