English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 15 March 2008, 20:55   #1
Stefan Lindberg
Zone Friend

The world of gamebox artwork

I just thought of this after seeing all those best/worst gamebox artwork thread at many (if not all) gameforums, the idea is a website with only scans of gamebox artwork and each with a comment/discussion function, i'm not only talking Amiga games but all even new game artwork.

I think this could be fun as i have a general interest in the art of gameboxes
Anybody also having the same idea? Maybe permission to use scans from major game databases can be done like from HOL?
Old 15 March 2008, 21:01   #2
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

http://www.exotica.org.uk/wiki/Amiga_Game_Box_Scans

They have in depth discussions including differences between artwork cross platform etc. Interviews with the artists etc.

http://www.exotica.org.uk/wiki/Bob_Wakelin
Old 15 March 2008, 21:13   #3
Stefan Lindberg
Zone Friend

Yes i have seen that site but i want something more focused on only gamebox art and better designed (not wiki that is).
The Bob Wakelin comments was fun
Old 15 March 2008, 21:31   #4
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Lindberg View Post
The Bob Wakelin comments was fun
Yeah, I enjoyed reading them too . Among those folders are another Arnold pic for the look-a-likes thread, don't think it's been added to that thread...... whatever...
Old 15 March 2008, 23:55   #5
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
i want something better designed (not wiki that is).
That's where we have to disagree. Wiki (or rather "user generated content") is the future of all good community websites, especially a website of this type (i.e. content driven databases).

Surely that is obvious to everyone these days? Isnt it?

The design/content of any Wikipage can be as well laid out as any website. Exotica is open for registered user editable content and contributions including layout changes.

Last edited by alexh; 16 March 2008 at 00:02.
Old 16 March 2008, 00:15   #6
Stefan Lindberg
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
The design/content of any Wikipage can be as well laid out as any website.
Yes it's the design i mean not really that it's "wiki"
All wiki pages i seen have that kind of messy design so i just presumed it was a limitation of wiki.
Old 16 March 2008, 00:30   #7
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
All wiki pages i seen have that kind of messy design so i just presumed it was a limitation of wiki.
I dont think so. I think it's just a limitation of the users. Most user generated content tends to be a bit rough around the edges. People never have enough time to polish and everyone has a slightly different style.

Plus the Wiki formatting codes are not 100% logical and there are fewer tools to edit the content as there are for HTML.

Why not have a read, join exotica and see if you can contribute a missing cover and format it to your liking. Ask BuZz (Sysop) if you need any help, he's a great guy very approachable.
Old 16 March 2008, 00:55   #8
Ironclaw
Banned

I agree with Stefan, wiki and other pages are not "simple" enough in design. They might be good pages and have great design, but he wants a new page for the artwork that are more simple and I totally know what he means... and again, I agree, wiki and the ones above are not simple enough.

Just the boxscans and comments for each one would be enough, nothing else is needed...... and that's simple
Old 16 March 2008, 11:21   #9
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironclaw View Post
I agree with Stefan, wiki and other pages are not "simple" enough in design
Not simple enough? WTF? Explain how Exotica's "Game Covers" section is in any way complicated?

You cannot get a much cleaner and simpler site. Basic A-Z sub categories, alphabetical grid thumbnail listings and a powerful search?

Say you are looking for the Amberstar Cover. Start at the Covers page.

http://www.exotica.org.uk/wiki/Amiga_Game_Box_Scans

Select A.

http://www.exotica.org.uk/wiki/Amiga_Game_Box_Scans/A

Scroll alphabetically through the thumbnails to Am*

http://www.exotica.org.uk/wiki/Image:Amberstar.jpg#

Hmmm artist is Deiter Rottermund, what other covers did he do?

Click on search, type Rottermund, select Images

http://www.exotica.org.uk/wiki/Speci...searchx=Search

All covers are linked to their Exotica Music page and the entry for that game at HOL and Lemon Amiga.

Hmm, I want to add a comment about the Amberstar drawing, I know that the original oil painting is hanging on the living room wall of Karsten Koeper, lead designer and programmer. I register for the site access, click EDIT at the top of the page and add the information.

How it could get any simpler...

You could have just searched for Amberstar on the Exotica front page and you'd have got straight there!

Apart from a possibility for layout improvement, I dont see what is wrong? (But maybe I am too close?)

Surely it's just about the information? The quality and ease of access? IMHO it doesnt get much better than this.

Perhaps automatically generating the link for the "Author search" for each cover and maybe allowing a date orientated search? But things like this can be added to the scripts.

Last edited by alexh; 16 March 2008 at 11:34.
Old 16 March 2008, 12:20   #10
Stefan Lindberg
Zone Friend

Quote:
You cannot get a much cleaner and simpler site. Basic A-Z sub categories, alphabetical grid thumbnail listings and a powerful search?
Nothing wrong with that it's perfect and just what i like.

Quote:
Apart from a possibility for layout improvement, I dont see what is wrong? (But maybe I am too close?)
Thats what i ment with "design" (layout you call it), now Exotica (as an example) has lot's of thing that can be improved but as an database it has no fault i guess.
And it's only about Amiga games right now for example you can't get an "alphabetical grid thumbnail" for other platforms gameboxes.

I don't know if Buzz wants to extend it to more platforms but if he does and also improves design/layout then it could be like the "world of gamebox art" i first wanted
Old 19 March 2008, 12:33   #11
BuZz

Send a message via ICQ to BuZz
What specific improvements ? Are you talking about the layout of content within the wiki, or the design of the wiki skin ?
Old 22 March 2008, 12:56   #12
Stefan Lindberg
Zone Friend

Well maybe use the space to the right for some information so you don't need to scroll down as an example, and also hide "not so imoprtant" information (like file history) and thing like that.
I guess i mean "the layout of content" then :-)
Old 23 March 2008, 17:11   #13
Stefan Lindberg
Zone Friend

Hmm... seems there is a boxart webpage already but it has awful design, Exotica is much better... so Buzz you want to challenge this:http://www.vgboxart.com/
I could help with ideas.

***edit*** ooops... it was a custom boxart webpage only...
Old 27 June 2009, 17:38   #14
Stefan Lindberg
Zone Friend

Just saw this link at lemon64: http://www.coverbrowser.com/ (look in the games section).
That is what i ment with this thread... but with a comment function for each cover
Old 27 June 2009, 18:03   #15
amigamemo

..I often thought about a comment / chat-box for the goodie section on my museum site
www.AmigaMemo.com to discuss content and art(work) of cover and boxes in general

Maybe I will implant that in the future...