English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 11 May 2009, 20:31   #1
tech3475

Amiga Os 4 on iMac G3

I currently have an amiga 1200 with 2GB HDD and 8MB RAM. However I am now use to just emulating things now, but I saw that someone got a mac mini G4 to run OS 4 so I was wondering whether a G3 could?

Also is amiga OS 4 an improvement over 3.5/3.9?

Old 11 May 2009, 21:46   #2
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

AFAIK OS4 on PPC MAC was never finished, you can just about get it to work but many parts are unfinished and development is now dead.

Depends what you used 3.5/3.9 for? With no classic (games) compatibility, no modern web-browser, no modern hardware platform, AOS4 sucks as far as I am concerned.

Last edited by alexh; 11 May 2009 at 21:53.
Old 11 May 2009, 21:48   #3
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech3475 View Post
I saw that someone got a mac mini G4 to run OS 4 so I was wondering whether a G3 could?
Hi tech3475, and welcome to EAB.

It's great to have a fellow Amiga/Macintosh enthusiast on board.

I assume you are referring the OS4 on a Mac thread:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=33912

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but it would appear that the answer to your question is negative.
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=379495&postcount=11

That post appeared in this thread:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=33668
Old 11 May 2009, 22:10   #4
HenryCase

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Depends what you used 3.5/3.9 for? With no classic (games) compatibility, no modern web-browser, no modern hardware platform, AOS4 sucks as far as I am concerned.
Most of your points are valid apart from the 'no modern web-browser', as OWB fills that role.
Old 11 May 2009, 22:48   #5
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

It got JAVA applets? Flash? Shockwave?

Flash is now a pre-requisite for most commercial websites.
Old 12 May 2009, 03:55   #6
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

I'm with alexh on this one. Love the Amiga though I do, the thought of having to use on exclusively for my web browsing needs is enough to keep me up at night. Conversely, the idea of using a modern computer for my gaming needs is guaranteed to bore me to the point that I'd sleep all night and day.

Slightly OT: If you dig Commodore 8 bit and Amiga computers and you've got a Mac, check out Doremac It's an unfortunate name and the place doesn't see much activity but it's a start.
Old 12 May 2009, 07:23   #7
kriz

For me i dont really need flash or java at home. Mostly adverts/simple games IMHO and video i just download from youtube etc..

So its a big step up from Ibrowse, without ccs etc etc... Actually fun
Old 12 May 2009, 10:16   #8
HenryCase

Quote:
It got JAVA applets? Flash? Shockwave?

Flash is now a pre-requisite for most commercial websites.
It's got Javascript, I know that's different from full Java but it's far more common than Java applets in my experience of the web. Which popular websites use Java applets? Flash support is on it's way in the form of an OS4 Gnash port that's currently in the works, of course it's not an ideal solution but it'll be better than nothing, and Gnash is in active development so compatibility is improving. Perhaps there are other modern web browser features we need?

Last edited by HenryCase; 12 May 2009 at 10:27.
Old 12 May 2009, 10:20   #9
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryCase View Post
it's far more common than Java applets in my experience of the web. Which popular websites use Java applets?
At the moment sure, but Java applets are about to have their renaissance. Almost all gaming websites use applets.
Old 12 May 2009, 10:32   #10
squidbass

Hi chaps,

Ever the pedant, I would just like to point out that Javascript has nothing to do with Java. Despite it's unfortunate name, Javascript is a browser/client side scripting language based on ECMAscript. People often gets confused on this.

Having said that, javascript support in browsers is essential as just about every commercial site uses it.

Regards,
squidbass
Old 12 May 2009, 10:32   #11
HenryCase

Quote:
At the moment sure, but Java applets are about to have their renaissance. Almost all gaming websites use applets.
Considering what most people use the web for I think you're being a little optimistic in predicting the rise of Java applets. In any case, don't most casual gaming websites (with casual gaming describing a high percentage of gaming on the web) use Flash rather than Java applets?
Old 12 May 2009, 10:37   #12
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

And there will be Silverlight. Being a kind of 'frontend' to ASP(X) sites it will become quite popular for rich internet applications too. Like alex said none of the three are available for OWB, so I guess it's useless to debate which one is the most used one in one or two years
Old 12 May 2009, 10:38   #13
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
And there will be Silverlight. Being a kind of 'frontend' to ASP(X) sites it will become quite popular for rich internet applications too. Like alex said none of the three are available for OWB, so I guess it's useless to debate which one is the most used one in one or two years
I just downloaded Silverlight for Mac to watch Netflix movies online. How ubiquitous will it become?
Old 12 May 2009, 10:43   #14
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Fop View Post
How ubiquitous will it become?
Hard so say, but surely it will gain some percentages of the flash market. It depends on how sucessful Microsoft can promote APSX/Silverlight among the web developer community. I guess they won't 'conquer' more than 20% of it though, but yet enough that you will have to install it
Old 12 May 2009, 10:43   #15
HenryCase

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Flash is the big daddy of media on the web, and we're due a certain level of support on OS4 soon (through Gnash). Microsoft has got a big battle on it's hands to get Silverlight anywhere near as popular as Flash.
Old 12 May 2009, 16:44   #16
tech3475

thanks for the responses. I just wondered about G3 support because I just wanted to see OS 4 and although I like the miggy, I am unable to justify paying up to and over £100 on PPC hardware.

Old 12 May 2009, 16:52   #17
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech3475 View Post
thanks for the responses. I just wondered about G3 support because I just wanted to see OS 4 and although I like the miggy, I am unable to justify paying up to and over £100 on PPC hardware.
Imagine how I feel. I bought OS 4.0 before the price of PPC accelerator hardware for the A1200 went through the roof. I have three PCI Macs which can be converted to G3 with a new processor daughterboard, and I would just love to be able to get Amiga OS 4 running on one of those.
Old 13 May 2009, 17:38   #18
Predabot

Hmm, too bad work for getting AOS4 to the Mac was halted. It really is an ideal platform, now innit'?

Would be cool if the owners of the amiga-brand could make a close deal with Apple to develop support for AOS on ALL Apple platforms ( new ipods, Iphone, Ibook, you name it). Yeah I know, there's no financial reason or gain to allow that, but it would be cool with an alternative OS to all PPC or PPC-based apps.
Old 13 May 2009, 17:57   #19
HenryCase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predabot View Post
Hmm, too bad work for getting AOS4 to the Mac was halted. It really is an ideal platform, now innit'?

Would be cool if the owners of the amiga-brand could make a close deal with Apple to develop support for AOS on ALL Apple platforms ( new ipods, Iphone, Ibook, you name it). Yeah I know, there's no financial reason or gain to allow that, but it would be cool with an alternative OS to all PPC or PPC-based apps.
No new Apple products use PPC AFAIK.
Old 13 May 2009, 19:21   #20
Paul_s

Dear god, some of you need to wash your mouths out

I will put down a challenege - who is going to be the first to port Mac OS-X to a classic Amiga