English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 01 February 2022, 00:20   #41
desiv

Nice on first check in AmigaForever, haven't tried it on the real thing yet. It wasn't happy in AmigaForever NTSC mode, so it might be PAL only? If so, not for my A500. Did run in 512k + 512k mode (when I remembered to check A501 in the memory config section) on an emulated A500.
Funny, my first thought was. This looks more like an NES game...
Then I pulled up the Arcade video in Youtube... And it is pretty darn similar to the Arcade, scale and design wise...
Looks good!
Old 01 February 2022, 00:23   #42
Aarbron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery Phoenix View Post
Mate - you have set the bar high for next release if that the is the standard of your first Amiga game

Awesome
Perhaps the insanity below, try the demo there:

https://danteretrodev.itch.io/akumajou-dracula-aga

No posts yet on EAB about that? It was played on AmigaBill live stream yesterday (many times, AmigaBill loved it) and the reception has been almost overwhelming.
Old 01 February 2022, 04:45   #43
PatmanQC

Kudos for such an amazing piece of software.

I can't believe people would complain about something That was given out for free with all the amount of hard work that goes into it.
Old 01 February 2022, 07:38   #44
Aarbron

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatmanQC View Post
Kudos for such an amazing piece of software.

I can't believe people would complain about something That was given out for free with all the amount of hard work that goes into it.
Thank you very much!
It would have been great to have Amiga Green Beret featured in your wonderful documentary on Green Beret back in 2020.

As we can't monetize these ports, our only motivation to endure the hard work is a positive reception and support from people.

Worth remembering that back then, people very often paid full price for a port that featured:

- choppy 12 frames per second screen scrolling
- drab or darkened color palette as a result of direct ST conversion
- no options for more than 1 button controller
- no music or sound effects at same time, many times total lack of in-game music
- extreme amount of disk swapping without HD install option
- freezing crashes and other game breaking critical bugs

Old 01 February 2022, 18:24   #45
TjLaZer

So I played the game yesterday and left it running to go do chores and eat dinner, came back and noticed my drive spinning and making a bad noise. Turns out the game spins the disk constantly. And the read/write heads put a nice ring on my disk destroying it.

So be careful if you decide to let the game run for a while.
Old 01 February 2022, 18:35   #46
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

If they are REALLY bothering you with the sirens ask DJ METUNE to add a pattern with a square wave in front of the song and make it repeat thrice, will take less RAM
Old 01 February 2022, 20:41   #47
Mixel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarbron View Post
As we can't monetize these ports, our only motivation to endure the hard work is a positive reception and support from people.
Congrats on this and the Castlevania demo, that was a great stream too!

Looks like it plays great! Really looking forward to progress on castlevania.
Old 01 February 2022, 20:47   #48
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
In short, yeah, we are doing it for some ego boost too - so if audience get cranky on results is because is A BIT personal ^^
Old 01 February 2022, 21:19   #49
Aarbron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjLaZer View Post
So I played the game yesterday and left it running to go do chores and eat dinner, came back and noticed my drive spinning and making a bad noise. Turns out the game spins the disk constantly. And the read/write heads put a nice ring on my disk destroying it.

So be careful if you decide to let the game run for a while.
That's scary to hear

And I did tried to minimize disk access in the game, for example, usually Scorpion Engine games will just reload the level when player dies/respawn, that's unwanted disk access right there.
In Green Beret I just reposition the player for pre-set spawn points without touching disk. While a script clears the screen of enemies. Which is the cause of the terrible bug that plagued AmigaBill's stream (it failed to clear enemies and so he was respawning constantly on top of existing enemies - and yeah, Green Beret never had temporary invincible frames). If I went the disk access route and reloaded the level each time player dies, that respawn glitch doesn't happens.

That was why I removed the trainer ADF from site, the trainer is the one with this glitch.

The non-trainer ADF still up seems fine so far, I've been checking people playing it on YouTube.
Old 01 February 2022, 21:26   #50
Aarbron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixel View Post
Congrats on this and the Castlevania demo, that was a great stream too!

Looks like it plays great! Really looking forward to progress on castlevania.
Thanks Mixel!

Looking forward to more CMO news!
Old 01 February 2022, 21:29   #51
Aarbron

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
If they are REALLY bothering you with the sirens ask DJ METUNE to add a pattern with a square wave in front of the song and make it repeat thrice, will take less RAM
Yes, that's a correct approach, we discussed multi-music-modules and that would include in those "multi" as a "music" of sorts. It will also help re-use instruments and being more memory efficient. We're so starved of chipmem that we can't add a STAGE CLEAR message or a LOADING icon when it's loading...
Old 02 February 2022, 21:03   #52
rabidgerry

Is there anyway I can get this to run without having to copy it to a floppy disk for my real Amiga? Tried to mount the adf as an image and then use the exe but it doesn't work when I try this and as soon as the image is found I get a message asking for a file which is weird.
Old 02 February 2022, 21:55   #53
Aarbron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
Is there anyway I can get this to run without having to copy it to a floppy disk for my real Amiga? Tried to mount the adf as an image and then use the exe but it doesn't work when I try this and as soon as the image is found I get a message asking for a file which is weird.
1. Create a directory named output in your Amiga partition or CF card (assuming you have something other than floppy disk drive)

2. insert the disk, open it, copy all its files to that output directory

3. double click on game-crunched.exe, wait a bit, Scorpion splash screen will appear.

Using OUTPUT as directory name for the game here because that's default Scorpion's name but I'm sure you can use other names, like GREENBERET for example.
Old 03 February 2022, 21:02   #54
rabidgerry

Quote:
1. Create a directory named output in your Amiga partition or CF card (assuming you have something other than floppy disk drive)

2. insert the disk, open it, copy all its files to that output directory

3. double click on game-crunched.exe, wait a bit, Scorpion splash screen will appear.

Using OUTPUT as directory name for the game here because that's default Scorpion's name but I'm sure you can use other names, like GREENBERET for example.
Hmmm I tried that and nothing happens.

Might it be an issue from using a 060 perhaps?

****forget all I said**** I was able to run in shell

Thanks for helping

Last edited by rabidgerry; 03 February 2022 at 21:19.
Old 04 February 2022, 00:12   #55
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Just gave it a try, and enjoyed it. I don't think it is utterly difficult but some moves of enemies are hard to avoid at close range (e.q. when they jumpkick at you). All in all, not much to complain about, defo a good conversion.
Old 04 February 2022, 00:32   #56
Aarbron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkBox View Post
Just gave it a try, and enjoyed it. I don't think it is utterly difficult but some moves of enemies are hard to avoid at close range (e.q. when they jumpkick at you). All in all, not much to complain about, defo a good conversion.
Thank you very much!

I just uploaded an updated version in parallel which has addressed criticism I got about the jump being too quick, low and silly. Now it's very useful: you can even jump from truck to truck in level 1.

Slower enemy bombs from mortars, the enemies from the back of boss truck have a delay of ~2 seconds to start dropping so player has time to get ready, and so on.

The jump kick guy will be readjusted at some point. It's annoying to the point that I adjusted him to appear just at the very end of stage 1 and ahead.

Link: https://danteretrodev.itch.io/greenberet

...second ADF download titled GreenBeret_UPDATED_FEBRUARY03.adf
Old 04 February 2022, 01:46   #57
Aarbron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladin View Post
A very big thank you. This game is finally a reality on Amiga.
Thank you very much, Aladin.

Let me ask one thing: you did WHDload for CASTLEVANIA AGA?
I've found in AmigaFrance.com
It's great!
So, is it possible to do one for Green Beret too? That will be even greater.
Thanks again.
Old 04 February 2022, 03:53   #58
Aladin

He's been there since the beginning too
AmigaFrance

It is also on the FTP EAB. I just updated it to version 03 Feb.
Old 04 February 2022, 05:30   #59
Aarbron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladin View Post
He's been there since the beginning too
AmigaFrance

It is also on the FTP EAB. I just updated it to version 03 Feb.
Thank you very much!
You're quick!
If possible, please check if the slower/higher jump settings are also in effect when player picks bazooka on level 2. Because I uploaded a version where it didn't affected, so I removed and added a correct one. Just in case you updated in the very few minutes where the wrong version was up! (before 20:03 eastern time) Also, I may recommend playing on A500 or A600, it makes the game a bit easier.

But more updates are coming, biggest complaints are lack of Stage Clear and Game Over music, making it feels "rough in the edges". So we're getting another musician (Narcisound) to help with the missing music.

Old 04 February 2022, 10:19   #60
rabidgerry

I enjoyed a lot what I was playing last night. Really good job @Aarbron. Appreciate the time and effort put in thank you

Now I got it working and am enjoying, am I being stupid? Is there a way to close the game and return to workbench?