English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > MarketPlace

Old 19 June 2006, 10:11   #1
keropi

Thumbs up FS: G-Rex1200

For sale is my G-Rex1200 (1st version, 1 DMA slot you have to choose between a soundcard and a
tv-tuner, because only these DMA, look at my signature to see what I have on it...) , since I got a 2DMA
version (hey hacky!), I think that someone else might be needing my old one... It is already upgraded to
latest firmware plus it has my trademark blue heatsinks installed :P . Make me an offer via PM, if there
is no interest, I'll ebay it...

It comes with original packaging + original drivers cd...

Thanx!

sorry for the crappy image...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k_grex1200.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	11380  
Old 25 June 2006, 17:54   #2
keropi

Bump!
Old 25 June 2006, 21:12   #3
BinoX
Miggy Man

Kind of interested... But I have no money at the moment... Blizzard PPC on the way just cleaned me out again
Old 25 June 2006, 21:25   #4
keropi

pm'ed...
Old 25 June 2006, 21:58   #5
BinoX
Miggy Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by keropi
pm'ed...
Replied
Old 25 June 2006, 22:26   #6
AMIGAZ
Amiga-Mad

Send a message via ICQ to AMIGAZ
Quote:
pm'ed...
Still have it? or am I too late...
Old 25 June 2006, 22:29   #7
DoctorQ
What?? Who?? DoctorQ!!

Send a message via MSN to DoctorQ
@AMIGAZ

Haven't you got a BVision already? Unless you need to use a TV tuner card or sound card, you won't get any benefits of using a G-Rex instead of BVision.
Old 25 June 2006, 22:35   #8
keropi

I already have reserved it for BinoX, if he does not want it then iti is Amigaz turn... he was the 1st to reply...

the grex is better than just a bvision... you can add the things on my signature! :P
Old 25 June 2006, 22:45   #9
DoctorQ
What?? Who?? DoctorQ!!

@Keropi

I will have to disagree that the G-Rex is better than BVision. With a G-Rex you can use a Voodoo 3, so you get more graphics ram, you can use a sound card, an ethernet card and a TV tuner card. You mention yourself in the first post that you can only use either a sound card or a TV tuner in this particular G-Rex. If it was the G-Rex with two DMA ports, then it's a bit different story.

With the BVision you have the graphics card, you can only use a 10 MBit ethernet with the G-Rex, so not any improvement over using a PCMICA ethernet card, so all that is left is for a sound card or a tv tuner card. If one doesn't plan on using either of these, then I see no point in using a G-Rex instead of a BVision.

With G-Rex you can use OS3.9 and MOS, while you can use OS3.9, OS4 (if it gets released) and MOS, so in my eyes, a G-Rex is a downgrade if neither a sound card or a tv tuner card is the reason for getting a G-Rex.
Old 25 June 2006, 23:03   #10
keropi

Still, the voodoo3 is better than bvision, so consider all the rest cards a bonus... and u don't have to use a pcmcia card and use a bunch of ugly looking cables on your amiga tower... also u add a cheap pci sound card. why have a ppc and limit your self to paula? also the 100MBPS ethernet, although it sounds nice, please tell me what you need it on amiga...??? what will u do better than using a 10MBPS card?
In no way a g-rex is a dowgrade to bvision....
Old 25 June 2006, 23:31   #11
DoctorQ
What?? Who?? DoctorQ!!

Well, I already stated my points, so no need to do it again.

As for sound card; the Terratec 128i is somewhat near the same quility of Paula, so why use a sound card afterall?

And a bunch of ugly cables? You need one, and you will still need this one with the G-Rex. I need none at all since I'm wireless with my PCMCIA ethernet card. As I already said, both ethernet cards, either if it is G-Rex or PCMCIA, is 10 MBit, so there are no differences what so ever.

The Voodoo might be faster than the BVision, and it has twice as much graphics memory compared to a BVision. But if one already have a BVision card, then I see absolutely no reason in getting a G-Rex unless one needs a tv tuner card; first of all because of the clumsy installation of the actual G-Rex board and second of all because of the requirements of the BPPC board.

Anyway, I just think it is odd that you can be so sure in your case, that the G-Rex is a much better solution than using a BVision, when you haven't even used a BVision yourself.
Old 25 June 2006, 23:39   #12
RetroMan

Ok, maybe some experience here ...

I had a Grex, swapped it to a Mediator recently .... oh and I had a BVision before

GRex with Voodoo3 is WAY faster than a BVision ! I get nearly double performance on 3D Games ! Also MorphOS is working nicely with GRex and Voodoo 3, even with 3D support

Why a soundcard ? Hell, maybe because of playing mp3s with nearly no CPU usage ??? And comparing a Terratec 128i with Paula is really idiotic :

Paula sounds nice but hey, it´s only 14Bit .... so if you listen to music, everyone can hear the change from Paula to PCI Soundcard, if you don´t, get a new ear !!!
Old 25 June 2006, 23:40   #13
keropi

1. obviously you have not heared how an mp3 sounds on paula and how it sounds on a terratec128i pci card.
2. stating that ONLY a graphics card is better than a solution that offers faster graphics+sound+network is somewhat strange...
3. by ugly cables I mean the pcmcia dongle + the bridge cable u need to make to reach the backside of the tower... unless u can settle with opening the tower to unplug a cable in case u need to move it..
4. the g-rex has nothing clumsy on its installation if you are capable to handle electronic equipment
5. also as you say, there is no need for it unless you plan to use its features... but to state it is a downgrade to bvision ???!??!? are you serious?
Old 25 June 2006, 23:42   #14
keropi

@retroman: how is mediator then for you??? being an ex-grex user and all? any real disadvantages??? although I grabbed a combo of zIV + mediator zIV I am still keeping the new g-rex in case I need it again... so any info here?

just noticed retroman we used the same comparison: mp3... lol
Old 25 June 2006, 23:45   #15
RetroMan

sorry, no info yet ... still have to test it, real life is eating me up atm

Currently sticking with my AOne for now .... guess I´ll try it next week or so ... I hope ...
Old 25 June 2006, 23:49   #16
keropi

oh... too bad...
Old 26 June 2006, 09:51   #17
DoctorQ
What?? Who?? DoctorQ!!

Quote:
1. obviously you have not heared how an mp3 sounds on paula and how it sounds on a terratec128i pci card.
2. stating that ONLY a graphics card is better than a solution that offers faster graphics+sound+network is somewhat strange...
3. by ugly cables I mean the pcmcia dongle + the bridge cable u need to make to reach the backside of the tower... unless u can settle with opening the tower to unplug a cable in case u need to move it..
4. the g-rex has nothing clumsy on its installation if you are capable to handle electronic equipment
5. also as you say, there is no need for it unless you plan to use its features... but to state it is a downgrade to bvision ???!??!? are you serious?
For fucks sake, what's the point in discussing it, when you don't even read what I have written!

Quote:
Originally Posted by My first post
But if one already have a BVision card, then I see absolutely no reason in getting a G-Rex unless one needs a tv tuner card
Quote:
Originally Posted by My second post
a G-Rex is a downgrade if neither a sound card or a tv tuner card is the reason for getting a G-Rex.
1. Yes, I have heard mp3 through Paula, and yes, I have heard mp3 through a Terratec 128i; you bought your Terratec 128i from me, remember? If mp3 sounds terrible through Paula for you, then I would think you haven't configged it good enough.

Quote:
Why a soundcard ? Hell, maybe because of playing mp3s with nearly no CPU usage ??? And comparing a Terratec 128i with Paula is really idiotic
Yeah, right, since when has the Terratec 128i had any mp3 decoding hardware on the card? The CPU load caused by the MP3 will not become lower when using a soundcard instead of Paula.

2. That I have never stated. I said that it's a downgrade IF one already has a BVision and ethernet card, and don't want to use either a sound card or a TV tuner card. The G-Rex can use Voodoo with 16 MB ram, but to replace a graphics card you already have, with a G-Rex in order to use a Voodoo and a 10 MBit ethernet card, is a downgrade to me, when you in the mean time take away the possibilty to run OS4.

3. Heard of wireless?

4. Well, if you don't think the G-Rex 1200 has a clumsy hardware installation, I hope you never will become a hardware designer.

5. Yes, but apparently you have problems reading.

Anyway, forget it, as I said in the start, there is no point in discussing it, when you don't even bother reading what is written.
Old 26 June 2006, 10:08   #18
keropi

I am not going to fight with you DoctorQ because you are a respected member, and after all I think that if we sat face-to-face we would both agree on the g-rex matter... also as I have said in different posts, all depends on one person's needs... yes, there is no need to get a g-rex if you only need rtg and you don't want a somewhat faster rtg or extra slots to put other cheap inside your amiga... but to regard it a downgrade is just plainly wrong, this and only this argument becomes nullified with the option to use a voodoo3... so even if u only need rtg, since the voodoo3 is faster, the g-rex is not a downgrade.
Also please tell us what settings you have made on paula so it outputs the same as a 441000hz soundcard, this is interesting even HQ modes I tried on AHI6 did nothing similar to terratec...
Old 26 June 2006, 10:39   #19
DoctorQ
What?? Who?? DoctorQ!!

@Keropi

How will you even be able to notice the speed difference when you are the one claiming that 3D games and Amiga doesn't match? The BVision and the Voodoo will be equally fast when only using Workbench, and by then you won't even max out the 8 MB on the BVision.

Anyway, you have a predefined love for G-Rex that won't let you take any critiscism of the board, that's fair enough. If you care to read through my posts, I have never said that G-Rex was crap other than the way the hardware is installed, but it's a downgrade in my eyes, if one doesn't need a sound card or tv tuner card and at the same time prevents one from running OS4 in the future.

Anyway, enough said, I'm out of here.
Old 26 June 2006, 12:55   #20
keropi

Hey we are just talking here, I have no hard feelings... don't go!