English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 21 March 2007, 17:17   #1
RickDangerous

How do I configure winuae to recognise left stick on joypad?

I've spent the last coupla days refamiliarising myself with winuae and have got myself a Joytech usb neo s joypad to play games on. Trouble is, when they're loaded, the joypad controls are taken from the right stick (i.e. the one that's too near all the fire-buttons for my liking) and not the left.

So far my early attempts to alter this in the input tabs have failed. Can anyone help me out?

Cheers all.

Old 21 March 2007, 20:43   #2
RickDangerous

Ok, so I've updated to the latest version of winuae and I can configure it to recognise the thumbpad - using Joy2 settings for horizontal and vertical axis. So I tried it again using Joy2 (analog) settings but it still recognises the thumbpad, not the thumbstick.

Any takers?

Old 21 March 2007, 21:17   #3
RickDangerous

Yeh, so I got that wrong.

Turns out the thumbpad works at the same time as the mouse. Now I don't know how to get either thumbstick working. It would be really good to get some help on this.

Old 21 March 2007, 21:29   #4
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
Open up the joypad control panel and work out what the axis are called and then use appropriate axis in winuae and tell it what you want .

example, for my xbox pad, X, Y represent left stick and X Rotation, Y Rotation represent right stick. attach the relevent Joy2 direction to them. Joy1 will represent port1 (mouse usualy).
Old 21 March 2007, 21:37   #5
RickDangerous

Thanks for your reply Matt, but I don't quite follow. Where are you getting 'Y Rotation' and 'X Rotation' - I don't have 'rotation' in my options.

Old 21 March 2007, 21:45   #6
RickDangerous

Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.GIF
Views:	394
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	13434

I've attached the default settings that occurred when I set Port 1 to use the joypad.

Old 21 March 2007, 22:31   #7
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
what is the left stick called in joypad properties ?

or is is a dpad on the left your trying to use (which is normaly POV Hat Switch) so the screen looks ok for that .
Old 21 March 2007, 22:37   #8
RickDangerous

Sorry Matt, I'm a bit slow on the uptake - do you mean what is the left stick called in Windows Joypad properties? If so, it refers to it as Left Thumbstick.

Old 21 March 2007, 22:55   #9
RickDangerous

I've found a way round it for now. I've mapped my left thumbstick to some of the keyboard controls and set WinUAE up to take keyboard input, but it just means I have to load the joypad configuration before each session. That input page in WinUAE makes little sense to me.

Thanks for your efforts, Matt.

Old 22 March 2007, 08:20   #10
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

There is only single thumbstick listed in input panel. Attach/email winuaebootlog.txt, thanks.
Old 22 March 2007, 10:12   #11
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

Rick, I do believe he means the Joystick properties in Windows' Control Panel, yes. Keep it open when configuring WinUAE, as you can then see what button on the joypad of yours, corresponds to the actual numbered button. then you should be able to configre your WinUAE accordingly.
Old 23 March 2007, 13:31   #12
Anubis
Retro Gamer

If you like to edit input properties, shouldn't you choose custom instead of compatibility?

WinUAE let's you access all gamepad controlls. (I use Logitech controller and all options are listed and usable )