English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 08 June 2020, 09:16   #1
Wiking67
Blowing Out The Flame

Send a message via MSN to Wiking67
wanting antivirus programmer

https://www.vht-dk.dk/amiga/vhtteam.htm:)
Old 08 June 2020, 12:14   #2
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Apart from not being ReAction-based, is there anything wrong with the current virus checkers? Most can handle new viruses via brainfiles if that is the concern.
Old 08 June 2020, 12:20   #3
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Brainfiles don't help against link viruses. Not that there have been any in 20 years.
Old 11 June 2020, 15:41   #4
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
Apart from not being ReAction-based, is there anything wrong with the current virus checkers?
This is a feature, not a problem. A virus checker that only worked on 3.5/3.9 would be useless.
Old 12 June 2020, 14:18   #5
Debvgger

"Virus Help Team have the complete scource code for VirusZ II v1.45, that was kindly given to us from Georg Höermann.

(...)

Virus Help Team is willing to give this scource code for VirusZ II v1.45 for free to anyone that would like to help us to make a new version of VirusZ"

Why not just post the source code on Github or anywhere else, and let whoever wants to take it and develop it further if he wants while also the whole community getting the benefit of preserving yet another Amiga program?
Old 12 June 2020, 14:38   #6
Crumb

What's the point in not releasing the sources?
Old 12 June 2020, 16:34   #7
jotd
This cat is no more

security by obscurity? Is there ANY open source antivirus?

If everybody has the source code, it's really much easier to write a virus to workaround the antivirus.
Old 12 June 2020, 16:41   #8
Bren McGuire

That doesn't make any sense. That's like saying an open source encryption algorithm would be pointless because you could figure out how to crack it by looking at the source. Fact is open source encryption systems are usually the best solutions out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
security by obscurity? Is there ANY open source antivirus?

If everybody has the source code, it's really much easier to write a virus to workaround the antivirus.
Old 12 June 2020, 16:45   #9
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Besides, the recognition is mostly done through xvs.library. Not sure if it is part of the source.
Old 12 June 2020, 16:52   #10
Jan-VHT

The reason why Virus Help Team has not released the source code for VirusZ II, is because we would like a little control over who gets the code for VirusZ. If everybody could get the code, everyone could make there own VirusZ, and people with not so good intentions could make a lot of trouble. It has to someone we can trust. And that person has not been found yet.

Georg Hoermann programmer of VirusZ, trusted Virus Help Team with the code, just as we want to trust the person we give the code to.
Old 12 June 2020, 17:40   #11
Debvgger

If someone has dubious intentions he can just replicate the GUI and would achieve the same result.

I don't want to sound rude but in your webpage you say no one of you is a programmer. I don't see why it has to be you who control who gets access to that code, and/or decide how and what to do with any future VirusZ version, because in the case someone is interested in investing maybe hundreds of hours in making it possible I don't see why he would need you besides getting the files.

I would say that if you really want a new VirusZ version the best you can do is ease the access to the source code to anyone who would be interested in taking a peek at it. This has many benefits. First, the code doesn't die if something happens to you or your equipment. Second, it's much easier that someone is able to contribute a small fix here or there than fully commiting to the whole task, and the only way that can happen is if the code is public. That is the very nature of open sourcing something. Lastly, this can inspire someone to just read the code because he wants to learn about how VirusZ did what it did.

I'd say, if you really care about VirusZ as you seem to do, then just set it free.
Old 12 June 2020, 20:35   #12
Exodous

I looked at the post on the VHT site and thought that it would be a great thing to do and get involved in. It is really up my street in IT security with a passion for Amiga and 680x0, but the following requirement rules out not only me, but almost everybody else left who is active with the Amiga:

"Just to be on the safe side, we will need to see an anti-virus program that you have made, supporting the library's above, before we will send any viruses or trojans."

If someone has to write a virus checker using xvs.library to stand a chance of their request to access the source code being considered, they might as well just write an entire virus checker in the first place.
Old 12 June 2020, 20:47   #13
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

From the website:

We have been trying to contact .... Heiner Schneegold (VT-Schutz) ....

I think he died 5 years ago.
Old 13 June 2020, 07:25   #14
Jan-VHT

Debvgger: I can understand what you are saying, but non of the antivirus programmers in the past like VirusChecker, VirusWorkshop VT-Schutz, has released there scource code, due to the same reasons that we give. Georg Hoermann could have released the code, but gave us, because he knew that we would do the right thing. Georg wrote in the about gadget in VirusZ II v1.45: "All developer files and other related stuff have been given to Jan Andersen of VHT Denmark. If anyone is interested in following my footsteps, contact him.."

Exodous: Anyone can make a new antivirus program, and it would be most welcome. And if a new antivirus program came up, we would support in any we possible can.

Hedeon: Im very sorry to hear that, I did not know. I have send emails and snailmails to Heiner, and non of them was returned to me..
Old 13 June 2020, 08:23   #15
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

@Jan-VHT:

What is the nature, scale and urgency of the envisaged improvements? I might be able to help but I am not going to have much free time in the near future to make major changes, being already busy with several other programs.

Last edited by Minuous; 13 June 2020 at 08:34.
Old 13 June 2020, 19:16   #16
Jan-VHT

@Minuous:
Well we have scource code for VirusZ II v1,45, which support the xvs.library, but we need to put another brainfile in the code, so it can find new viruses that has been found. Right now it is just a few trojans and maybe 30 new bootviruses. We havent seen any nasty linkviruses for a very long time.
Old 13 June 2020, 19:46   #17
BippyM
Global Moderator

Are there new virii?
Old 13 June 2020, 21:33   #18
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by BippyM View Post
Are there new virii?
It seems so:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=101687
Old 14 June 2020, 00:35   #19
redblade
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren McGuire View Post
That doesn't make any sense. That's like saying an open source encryption algorithm would be pointless because you could figure out how to crack it by looking at the source. Fact is open source encryption systems are usually the best solutions out there.
I remember that there were Ami Xpress trojans and when they detected that SnoopDOS was running, they would disable SnoopDOS so they could run their code.

Also early versions of VirusX was released with C Source code which John Veldius converted to assembler if I remember the docs correctly.
Old 14 June 2020, 08:58   #20
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

@Jan-VHT:

If you still need a programmer a month or two from now I will be able to help out.