admiral
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogginthenog View Post
I love the fact these Chinese UV erasers use a *clockwork* timer
Yeah, and they make this nice noise.

I bought my TL866-II+ a while ago because minipro exists:

https://gitlab.com/DavidGriffith/minipro

Cheap, can program pretty much everything, and doesn't require me to run proprietary software to do the burning (I never used the manufacturer tools nor plan to).

Burned myself some diagrom, and XT-IDE boot roms for my old PCs.
Old 29 November 2022, 20:23   #42
rabidgerry

Quick question regarding eproms. Anyone ever find they have eproms that just wont erase? Does this mean they are dead?

I have a few that always seem to come up with an error when I try blank check them even after erasing with UV thing I got from china.
Old 29 November 2022, 21:40   #43
supaduper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
Quick question regarding eproms. Anyone ever find they have eproms that just wont erase? Does this mean they are dead?

I have a few that always seem to come up with an error when I try blank check them even after erasing with UV thing I got from china.
Yes you may find some eproms that are dead that will not work, they do send them over from china and they are getting more expensive too

Also you can kill eproms by leaving them in the uv erasure too long, I find for most eproms 15 to 25 mins should do the trick
Old 29 November 2022, 22:13   #44
admiral
Engineer

Before giving up on them (and before attempting anything else), try -z to test there's good contact on all pins.
Old 29 November 2022, 22:38   #45
pandy71

Quote:

Not necessarily chip is faulty, it may be other reason like older programming algorithm used to write EPROM, EPROM may require extended UV exposure (common for EPROM's made with older technology).

Btw not many people is aware that during UV exposure EPROM may build substantial electrostatic potential and it is recommended to physically connect all EPROM pins together - Al foil wrapped foam block is good for this.
Old 30 November 2022, 00:15   #46
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaduper View Post
Yes you may find some eproms that are dead that will not work, they do send them over from china and they are getting more expensive too

Also you can kill eproms by leaving them in the uv erasure too long, I find for most eproms 15 to 25 mins should do the trick

Shit well that means I killed two trying to get Fast AtA working. Funny I can stick them in UV and then blank test and they register as blank ok. Then I go to program them and it fails for both.

Then I bought another two which are fine and found another at home so bought another single to pair with that one. But the single seems dead on arrival. Fails blank test after UV exposure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiral View Post
Before giving up on them (and before attempting anything else), try -z to test there's good contact on all pins.
Sorry I'm not familiar with what you mean? What is -z?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy71 View Post
Not necessarily chip is faulty, it may be other reason like older programming algorithm used to write EPROM, EPROM may require extended UV exposure (common for EPROM's made with older technology).

Btw not many people is aware that during UV exposure EPROM may build substantial electrostatic potential and it is recommended to physically connect all EPROM pins together - Al foil wrapped foam block is good for this.

I was using the xgpro software for the programmer. I definitely think it seemed more stable before but then may be it's just because my chips are now screwed. And yes, may be I killed them with static.
Old 01 December 2022, 23:41   #47
pandy71

Quote:
I was using the xgpro software for the programmer. I definitely think it seemed more stable before but then may be it's just because my chips are now screwed. And yes, may be I killed them with static.
Slow programming algorithms may give more persistent (immune to UV erase) data in EPROM.
Check if not blank cells (i.e. NOT $FF) are not repeating in some systematical way (like particular address line etc) - if there is no visible pattern then probably you need try to erase data once again - perhaps few times.
Old 02 December 2022, 09:12   #48
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

I have one particular EPROM that refuses to blank a single byte unless it stays more than 30 minutes under the lamp. Then again, another one got killed by staying that long under the lamp (doesn’t keep programmed data anymore).

NOS EPROMs (real NOS, not eBay stuff) usually will get blanked in 4-5 minutes without issues. So from what I gather it’s mostly a question of how much that EPROM got used before being resold. If it’s very worn out, it will have trouble getting erased.

Since it’s unusable anyway, I’d keep it under the lamp for another 10-minutes or so and keep retrying until you reach an hour or so. If it’s still there, it’s dead.

Also try cleaning the window, maybe it’s a bit dirty and it keeps a byte from receiving UV light (very infeasible, but who knows)
Old 04 December 2022, 19:24   #49
DanC

I have seen a new version of this programmer, the T48.
And it list the 27C400 as compatible in its devicelist.
Can anyone confirm this before i get me an T48?
Old 04 December 2022, 20:22   #50
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy71 View Post
Slow programming algorithms may give more persistent (immune to UV erase) data in EPROM.
Check if not blank cells (i.e. NOT $FF) are not repeating in some systematical way (like particular address line etc) - if there is no visible pattern then probably you need try to erase data once again - perhaps few times.
I really don't know much about this other than erasing and programming so I'm not sure what you mean. How to perform this check?

This is the message I get from blank check

Not Empty! FLASH ADDR: 0x 0020C7 CHIP DATA: 0x FFFB

Check Blank FLASH ...Failed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post
I have one particular EPROM that refuses to blank a single byte unless it stays more than 30 minutes under the lamp. Then again, another one got killed by staying that long under the lamp (doesn’t keep programmed data anymore).

NOS EPROMs (real NOS, not eBay stuff) usually will get blanked in 4-5 minutes without issues. So from what I gather it’s mostly a question of how much that EPROM got used before being resold. If it’s very worn out, it will have trouble getting erased.

Since it’s unusable anyway, I’d keep it under the lamp for another 10-minutes or so and keep retrying until you reach an hour or so. If it’s still there, it’s dead.

Also try cleaning the window, maybe it’s a bit dirty and it keeps a byte from receiving UV light (very infeasible, but who knows)

Oh who knows how old they are. Believe it or not I've had them in for like 30mins and stuff and still same kinda issues.

I'll clean all three windows of the roms I have the issue with.
Old 04 December 2022, 23:30   #51
admiral
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanC View Post
Not listed in:

I'd try and get a version that's supported by the open source tools. Chances are you don't need whatever fancy new feature this new model has.

See it as an opportunity to get the newest supported version (II+) cheaper than usual.
Old 05 December 2022, 18:46   #52
DanC

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiral View Post
Not listed in:

I'd try and get a version that's supported by the open source tools. Chances are you don't need whatever fancy new feature this new model has.

See it as an opportunity to get the newest supported version (II+) cheaper than usual.
I installed the Windows 10 version of the software, and if i select T48 as the programmer in demo mode, there is 27C400 as a supported device.
Old 05 December 2022, 20:39   #53
pandy71

Quote:
I really don't know much about this other than erasing and programming so I'm not sure what you mean. How to perform this check?

This is the message I get from blank check

Not Empty! FLASH ADDR: 0x 0020C7 CHIP DATA: 0x FFFB

Check Blank FLASH ...Failed
IMO best way is to read EPROM to file and inspect file for content different than $FF (in case of the 16 bit EPROM $FFFF as empty EPROM cell is fully charged i.e. all bits are 1's). Blank test found address 0x0020C7 with $FFFB so check remaining EPROM for similar and verify address lines - if there is some repeating pattern then perhaps EPROM is faulty but if this is single word then perhaps as someone suggested it may be some opaque mask on quartz window...
Old 06 December 2022, 00:09   #54
chrisfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanC View Post
Yes. Its a great device. It can also program the larger 42 pin EPROMs but you will need one of these.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...102d1802VzfIbm

Note - see clarification here http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...0&postcount=59

Last edited by chrisfi; 08 December 2022 at 08:55.
Old 06 December 2022, 18:10   #55
DanC

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfi View Post
Yes. Its a great device. It can also program the larger 42 pin EPROMs but you will need one of these.

Thank you for this info! Then a T48 programmer is the right one for me
Old 07 December 2022, 00:47   #56
admiral
Engineer

I hope not too much changed in how it works, so that the open source people can easily support it soon.
Old 07 December 2022, 20:50   #57
DanC

So the T48 can be the new defacto stadard programmer for Amiga users, with its native support of 27C400.
I think i will get one to take a closer look on.
Old 07 December 2022, 21:25   #58
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:

I really hoped that it supported them natively - I guess I will stick to my TL866II with Keir’s adapter for the time being. I hope they will be able to come up with a newer version that supports them without needing an adapter.
Old 07 December 2022, 23:32   #59
chrisfi

Clarification

Clarification

For the T48 programmer you need the adapter for both 40 and 42 pin 27C EPROMs. Still quicker and more convenient than the adapter for the TL866.

Sorry if my original post wasn't clear.

Quote:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20221207_221834.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	754.7 KB
ID:	77354  

Last edited by chrisfi; 08 December 2022 at 08:59.
Old 07 December 2022, 23:41   #60
chrisfi

The T56 has a ZIF 48 and I believe will support the 27Cxxx natively.

You can check which devices are supported and adapter requirements by running the software in demo mode and select the programmer you're interested in - T56, T48 or TI866.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post
I really hoped that it supported them natively - I guess I will stick to my TL866II with Keir’s adapter for the time being. I hope they will be able to come up with a newer version that supports them without needing an adapter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20221207_223800.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	788.5 KB
ID:	77355